Practical Holography

Old November 10th 05, 03:15 PM

Default Practical Holography

Does anyone have experience and recommendations for making holographs
when traveling across country? Is it even practical or reasonable to
make holographs of vacation objects?

Old November 10th 05, 07:43 PM
Måns Rullgård

"J. B. Dalton" writes:

Joking aside, it isn't a practical thing to do. Stereo photography,
OTOH, is quite practical and can give a binocular 3D view of vacation
scenes. I'm not aware of any digital cameras that are set up to do
stereo, so you will have to go back and find an old film camera for
that.

For static objects, simply making two pictures, moving the camera
horizontally a suitable amount, will give good results.

--
Måns Rullgård

Old November 10th 05, 11:19 PM
J. B. Dalton

Måns Rullgård wrote in
:

"J. B. Dalton" writes:

Joking aside, it isn't a practical thing to do. Stereo photography,
OTOH, is quite practical and can give a binocular 3D view of vacation
scenes. I'm not aware of any digital cameras that are set up to do
stereo, so you will have to go back and find an old film camera for
that.

For static objects, simply making two pictures, moving the camera
horizontally a suitable amount, will give good results.

I was thinking more of the need for a compatible viewing system not
being available for digital. There are several for film, AFAIK, going
clear back to the 19th-Century "Stereoptican."

JB
Old November 10th 05, 11:38 PM
Måns Rullgård

"J. B. Dalton" writes:

Måns Rullgård wrote in
:

"J. B. Dalton" writes:

Joking aside, it isn't a practical thing to do. Stereo photography,
OTOH, is quite practical and can give a binocular 3D view of vacation
scenes. I'm not aware of any digital cameras that are set up to do
stereo, so you will have to go back and find an old film camera for
that.

For static objects, simply making two pictures, moving the camera
horizontally a suitable amount, will give good results.

I was thinking more of the need for a compatible viewing system not
being available for digital. There are several for film, AFAIK, going
clear back to the 19th-Century "Stereoptican."

Displaying both pictures on the screen, and crossing your eyes works
quite well.

BTW, has anyone tried making 3D pictures of moving objects using two
cameras connected to the same remote trigger? Is the shutter lag
predictable enough to give sensible results using, say, two Canon 350D
cameras?

--
Måns Rullgård

Old November 10th 05, 11:51 PM
Frank ess

J. B. Dalton wrote:
Måns Rullgård wrote in
:

"J. B. Dalton" writes:

Joking aside, it isn't a practical thing to do. Stereo
photography,
OTOH, is quite practical and can give a binocular 3D view of
vacation scenes. I'm not aware of any digital cameras that are set
up to do stereo, so you will have to go back and find an old film
camera for that.

For static objects, simply making two pictures, moving the camera
horizontally a suitable amount, will give good results.

I was thinking more of the need for a compatible viewing system not
being available for digital. There are several for film, AFAIK,
going
clear back to the 19th-Century "Stereoptican."

We used to call them "two holers".

Old November 11th 05, 08:54 AM
Bigguy

This is pretty similar to the special effects done in The Matrix using
multiple SLRs arranged in an arc, giving that frozen time effect.

http://www.virtualcamera.com/

http://www.virtualcamera.com/timetracksamplework.html

Guy

"Måns Rullgård" wrote in message
"J. B. Dalton" writes:

Måns Rullgård wrote in
:

Old November 11th 05, 09:07 AM
Bigguy

Also http://www.digitalair.com/techniques/frozen_moment.html

Guy
"Bigguy" wrote in message
This is pretty similar to the special effects done in The Matrix using
multiple SLRs arranged in an arc, giving that frozen time effect.

http://www.virtualcamera.com/

http://www.virtualcamera.com/timetracksamplework.html

Guy

"Måns Rullgård" wrote in message
"J. B. Dalton" writes:

Måns Rullgård wrote in
:

Old November 11th 05, 09:21 AM
Måns Rullgård

"Bigguy" writes:

"Måns Rullgård" wrote...
"J. B. Dalton" writes:

Måns Rullgård wrote in
:

"J. B. Dalton" writes:

[...]

I suppose the Matrix effects crew had access to all sorts of
specialized equipment. I was curious as to whether a regular SLR is
predictable enough to make something like that possible.

--
Måns Rullgård

Old November 14th 05, 11:42 PM

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:56:41 GMT, "J. B. Dalton"
wrote:

wrote in news:1131635748.255361.131310
:

Does anyone have experience and recommendations for making holographs
when traveling across country? Is it even practical or reasonable to
make holographs of vacation objects?

A holograph is a hand-written document, such as a will and testament, so
I think you want what is usually called a "hologram."

Portable setups for making holograms of very small objects are possible,
but not very practical. [Your laser would no doubt be confiscated if you
tried to carry it through paranoid cities, like San Francisco. :-)]

Eat my ass, you smug bitchette. And the rest of your tiny
friends who have to titter every time you hear the words "San
Francisco". And your lame-ass smiley means nothing, so don't try the
wounded majesty gambit of telling me I missed your sly humor.

The size objects that can be recorded in a portable setup would probably
be very tiny, so what is meant by the term "vacation objects?"