Kodak Poly-Toner

Old October 21st 05, 12:46 AM
Bernie

Default Kodak Poly-Toner

There have been several posts the past few years about how to make a
substitute for Kodak's discontinued Poly-Toner. Well, Kodak finally posted
directions on their website;

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...als/CIS268.pdf

Looks pretty easy to me for many of the people here. I saw this while
looking for other information and thought I'd share, since Kodak "hid" it in
the technical info section for color processing chemicals.

Old October 22nd 05, 06:48 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Bernie" wrote in message
There have been several posts the past few years about how
to make a substitute for Kodak's discontinued Poly-Toner.
Well, Kodak finally posted directions on their website;

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...als/CIS268.pdf

Looks pretty easy to me for many of the people here. I saw
this while looking for other information and thought I'd
share, since Kodak "hid" it in the technical info section
for color processing chemicals.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Powdered Selenium is quite hazardous and must be handled
with great care. Since an acceptable toner can be made by
combining Kodak Brown Toner and Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner
it seems to me to be a better solution. However, its
interesting to know what the actual formula for Polytoner is
(or something quite close to it).
The formula I tried and found works well is as follows.
Instead of making a stock solution and diluting it 1:3 I
make it up in working strength. The test solution I made up
a couple of months ago is still working so it evidently
keeps fairly well.

Water 500.0 ml
Sodium Carbonate, anhydrous 160.0 grams
Kodak Brown Toner 320.0 ml
Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 80.0 ml
Water to make 1.0 liter

Dilute 1: 3 for use.
Tone 3 to 5 minutes at 68F. And clear in Kodak Hypo Clearing
Agent.
Source: _Modern Photography_, December 1953, p.87

I find that this formula tones very quickly at room
temperature. 1 minute is enough for most papers. The purpose
of the KHCA is to remove any stain. While a water wash
immediately after toning seems to work treating in KHCA or
Sodium Sulfite will remove any staining and prevent after
toning in the wash.
This formula probably does not exactly duplicate the
tones produced by either Polytoner or the Kodak formula in
the PDF above but it is different from either KBT or KRST.
It is very easy to mix and does not involve any seriously
hazardous chemicals.

--
---
Richard Knoppow