lens cleaning

Old February 22nd 05, 06:23 PM
Ben Rosengart

Default lens cleaning

Hello photographers,

I made a newbie mistake and stored my Canon EF-S 18-55mm kit lens
without the cap on it. Now, when I mount it on my camera, the
viewfinder has a look to it that I can only describe as grainy.

Is there anything I can do about this myself? Should I take the
lens to a camera store, or a specialized repair shop? (I have easy
access to Adorama.) If I have to have it cleaned professionally,
what is it likely to cost me? It is not an expensive lens, and I
wonder if a professional cleaning will even be cost-effective.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. If you prefer to
respond by email, please feel free.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Old February 26th 05, 08:01 PM
Philip Tobias

Ben Rosengart wrote:
I made a newbie mistake and stored my Canon EF-S 18-55mm kit lens
without the cap on it. Now, when I mount it on my camera, the
viewfinder has a look to it that I can only describe as grainy.

Is there anything I can do about this myself? Should I take the
lens to a camera store, or a specialized repair shop?

You can safely clean most lens dust and grime yourself. See the
instructions in your camera's manual or search online for the best
techniques.

Camera stores sell soft tissue or microfiber cloths, as well as liquids,
that can help you quickly clean your lenses.

....pt

--
Business/Communications start at http://www.PhilipTobias.com.
Grow your business using my technical and marketing communications -
Old February 26th 05, 08:49 PM
Ben Rosengart

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:01:12 -0700, Philip Tobias wrote:

You can safely clean most lens dust and grime yourself. See the
instructions in your camera's manual or search online for the best
techniques.

Camera stores sell soft tissue or microfiber cloths, as well as liquids,
that can help you quickly clean your lenses.

Thank you, Philip. I brought the lens to a camera store, and they
were happy to sell me a cleaning kit. I haven't tried it yet.