Polaroid x530 w/Foveon sensor will ship - finally.

Old February 26th 05, 05:55 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Peter A. Stavrakoglou
wrote:

Careful about stepping in that pile of crap since your foot always winds up
in your mouth.

Instead of bashing me, how about defending this mediocre technology
you're so hot on. No, I've never touched a Sigma camera. But I have
seen them and seen the images that come out of them. Spin it any way
you will, but they're still 3.42MP with downright crappy color
rendition. And, they're outrageously priced for what they are. I'm sory
that you can't see reality.
Old February 26th 05, 10:05 PM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Brian C. Baird" wrote in message
.. .
In article , says...
You've obviously never used a Foveon sensor camera or have seen the
photos.

That would put him at an advantage, "Preddy" Stavrakoglou.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Please Brian, you can do better than that.

Old February 26th 05, 10:49 PM
Brian C. Baird

In article , says...
That would put him at an advantage, "Preddy" Stavrakoglou.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Please Brian, you can do better than that.

You're right. I'm firing my team of writers right now.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Old February 26th 05, 11:26 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Chris Brown" wrote in message

And it has pretty poor colour response as well - the channels have a lot

of
redundnacy in them, in that the green channel, for example, isn't actually
that fussy about not capturing red and blue as well, so you end up having

subtract out weighted versions of each channel from the others. This has
unpleasant results for the signal/noise ratio (noise stays the same,

signal
gets smaller).

If only silicon color separation were more exact, the whole three-layer
sensor concept would have been wildly successfuly.

Old February 28th 05, 05:04 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , Peter A. Stavrakoglou

snip

And, they're outrageously priced for what they are.

I came across an eBay listing for an SD10. It's been re-listed twice after
the original listing, and g-d knows why he didn't take the $1000 offer, in
the first listing, and run, since he didn't even get as high an offer in the
second listing as he did in the first.

B&H's used department would likely offer about $650 for the lot, and sell it
for around $1300, with some sort of a guarantee, so $900-1000 would be a
fair eBay price. I hope that his reserve price isn't the same as the "Buy
It Now" price! Used equipment of any genre doesn't fetch much more than 60%
of the new price, usually closer to 50%. People look at what they paid for
something, and figure that they are entitled to get 75% of what they paid
back when they sell it used.

Old March 1st 05, 11:42 AM
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

Used equipment of any genre doesn't fetch much more than 60%
of the new price, usually closer to 50%. People look at what they paid for
something, and figure that they are entitled to get 75% of what they paid
back when they sell it used.

You'll probably find that ('any genre') to be untrue in a couple
of cases:
- items old enough to have quite some historical value
- collectors' items no longer freely available
- well-treated, undamaged items of high quality workmanship ---
while you probably won't make any money, you can get much closer
to a break even. I hear-tell Canon L lenses are in that class.

-Wolfgang