dark slide material

Old April 30th 04, 02:44 AM
joe smigiel

Default dark slide material

I have a few ULF holders in various sizes that need new darkslides. I'd
like to try making them myself and I'm wondering if anyone has actually
made them out of garolite (sp?) or maybe sheet aluminum? Might other
materials be appropriate?

TIA for any info.

Joe

(Change the vOwEl in my email address to reply directly.)

Old May 2nd 04, 11:23 PM
Richard Knoppow

"joe smigiel" wrote in message
I have a few ULF holders in various sizes that need new

darkslides. I'd
like to try making them myself and I'm wondering if anyone

has actually
made them out of garolite (sp?) or maybe sheet aluminum?

Might other
materials be appropriate?

TIA for any info.

Joe

(Change the vOwEl in my email address to reply directly.)

Dark slides have been made of several materials. At one
time hard rubber (Ebonite) was used. Metal slides have also
been used and are quite satisfactory. Aluminum or brass
should do. Darkslides for Riteway and Kodak holders are
coded for IR opaqueness. Older, non-opaque slides are coded
with three bumps on the silver side, IR opaque slides have
five bumps.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old May 3rd 04, 12:41 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 5/2/2004 3:23 PM Richard Knoppow spake thus:

"joe smigiel" wrote in message

I have a few ULF holders in various sizes that need new darkslides. I'd
like to try making them myself and I'm wondering if anyone has actually
made them out of garolite (sp?) or maybe sheet aluminum? Might other
materials be appropriate?

Dark slides have been made of several materials. At one time hard rubber
(Ebonite) was used. Metal slides have also been used and are quite
satisfactory. Aluminum or brass should do. Darkslides for Riteway and Kodak
holders are coded for IR opaqueness. Older, non-opaque slides are coded
with three bumps on the silver side, IR opaque slides have five bumps.

Thanks for that info; I've long wondered about those bumps, and what meaning
they might have. (The slides I looked have five bumps, so I'll sleep easier at
night.)

--
I was quickly apprised that an "RSS feed" was not, as I had naively
imagined, some new and unspeakable form of sexual debauchery practised

- Cynical shop talk from comp.publish.prepress

Old May 5th 04, 04:21 AM
DuganFoto

Darkslides for Riteway and Kodak holders are
coded for IR opaqueness. Older, non-opaque slides are coded
with three bumps on the silver side, IR opaque slides have
five bumps.

Richard,
Thank you for dropping that pearl of information...I had always heard that
there were IR-opaque slides, now I know how to identify them!
Thank you!

Doug Allen