Polaroid / Foveon x530 ... anyone else anxiously waiting to get one?

Old October 8th 04, 01:43 AM
Owen Coors

Default Polaroid / Foveon x530 ... anyone else anxiously waiting to get one?

I'll say right up front, that if I could afford the Sigma slrs... I'd
certainly have one (or more)! Since I can't though, I am really hoping
for a VERY good experience with Polaroids compact/p&s version. Even if
I had the Sigmas, I'd want to get this camera to see if it is a
worthy, "have with me alway" camera. Whether I choose to look at it as
a 1.5mp or 2.75mp resolution equivalent or 4.5mp camera... it matters
not, because to date my best digital image maker has been an old
1.68mp, bayer sensor, Canon Pro70. The Pro70 will print well up to
8x10... and it is only lacking (my opinion) in the color department. I
use color management and icc profiles for the Pro70, but I'm hoping to
get even better color from foveons latest chip... even if it is in a
little plastic body.

Owen
Old October 8th 04, 02:35 AM
Gene Palmiter

While no one has any experience with this camera we do have experience with
people who say nice things about Sigma. Our experience is that is you have
anything nice to say....you are a liar. So...its best to wait until you have
some samples to show.

om...

Old October 8th 04, 05:01 AM
Skip M

"Owen Coors" wrote in message
om...
I'll say right up front, that if I could afford the Sigma slrs... I'd
certainly have one (or more)! Since I can't though, I am really hoping
for a VERY good experience with Polaroids compact/p&s version. Even if
I had the Sigmas, I'd want to get this camera to see if it is a
worthy, "have with me alway" camera. Whether I choose to look at it as
a 1.5mp or 2.75mp resolution equivalent or 4.5mp camera... it matters
not, because to date my best digital image maker has been an old
1.68mp, bayer sensor, Canon Pro70. The Pro70 will print well up to
8x10... and it is only lacking (my opinion) in the color department. I
use color management and icc profiles for the Pro70, but I'm hoping to
get even better color from foveons latest chip... even if it is in a
little plastic body.

Owen

Why on earth would you choose a Sigma over any of the other cameras
available in their price range with better construction and higher
resolution. Their color sensor has been shown to be unable to give better
results than the competitors, even though, in theory they should, and their
true resolution is half or less of the others in their price class.
IF you are truly of this mind, and not merely trolling for effect, you
should do more research. But I doubt that you will...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old October 8th 04, 09:43 AM
Owen Coors

"Gene Palmiter" wrote in message news:1am9d.3883$Ua.922@trndny01...
While no one has any experience with this camera we do have experience with
people who say nice things about Sigma. Our experience is that is you have
anything nice to say....you are a liar. So...its best to wait until you have
some samples to show.

Well, the x530 samples are out (as of a couple hrs ago), but I can't
really say that I'm completely impressed. Actually, I was elated at
first viewing... then depression set in quite rapidly, followed by
self doubt, which fueled a renewed vigor within to overcome my bad
feelings with a more open-mindedness about the questionable image
abberations. Now, I'm content to wait and watch and see... (like I
have a choice in the matter... the camera's not available yet).
Anyways, on to better things...
Yes, I'm aware of the sparring (friendly, informative and downright
foolish at times) that has transpired about the technologies
(Foveon/CCD/CMOS). Myself, I could really care less about the
infighting... I just want to find the best little compact digital to
use for my enthusiast/amateur use. As far as my
experience/qualifications... well, I only began shooting 35mm film six
years ago (never owned a 35mm p&s, except for a Yashica GSN with a
45mm f1.7 lens). I started with an Argus c-3 and its 50mm f3.5 Cintar
lens. When I wanted more focal length, I began searching the internet
and found a Soligor 135mm f4.5 for the c-3s mount at Broadway Camera
in New York City and purchased it. This boxy rangefinder kept me happy
and amused until it just stopped working within a year of using it.
Next, I found an Argus c44 at a camera show for $35 and purchased it,
but it never gave me one good image. One day, my wife showed me an ad
in a weekly advertising paper that they would leave on the lawn. A man
had listed an Olympus Pen-F, half frame slr, with 38mm f1.8 Zuiko lens
and a 135mm f3.5 t-mount lens and the adapter, camera case etc. "Like
new... $75". Well, we were the first to call and we got the whole kit
of equipment which, by the way, the old gentleman (from New York) said
that the camera had very minimal use and had been cared for lovingly
(it was absolutely mint). Now I really enjoyed that little camera...
so much in fact that I decided to make/mill a mount for the camera so
that it could use a Russian 85mm f2 rangefinder lens (Kiev/Contax).
Normally, there would be no way possible to use a rangefinder lens
with an slr because of the great variation of backfocus between the
two camera types, but it just so happened that the Olympus Pen-F uses
a very small mirror that is mounted sideways, because of the cameras
no-prism design (mirrors are used to make the cameras top flat), so
because of this the back focus for the proprietary "Pen F,Ft" series
of lenses allowed me the leeway to design a mount for using this
extrodinary (my opinion) lens on this camera with a perfect(!)
infinity focus. This kept me quit content for sometime. I finally
succomed to the "need to get a digital" state of mind 3-4 yrs ago. I
purchased a Kodak DC50. The .38 of a megapixel resolution didn't
satisfy for long so I purchased a used (eBay) Fuji DS300. I enjoyed
this camera for the better part of a year, then moved onto various
other models till now. I'm not sure if I'll be getting the Polaroid
x530 or not... we'll have to see.

kind regards,
Owen
Old October 8th 04, 11:36 AM
Owen Coors

"Skip M" wrote in message news:yio9d.1391$hj.37@fed1read07...

Why on earth would you choose a Sigma over any of the other cameras
available in their price range with better construction and higher
resolution. Their color sensor has been shown to be unable to give better
results than the competitors, even though, in theory they should, and their
true resolution is half or less of the others in their price class.
IF you are truly of this mind, and not merely trolling for effect, you
should do more research. But I doubt that you will...

Why would you doubt anything about me? I'm quite aware of the
pros/cons for and against the Foveon technology. Let me say this
plainly... don't even waste your valuable time "trolling me... for
effect" (drawing me out). I'm just a dumb "dad with a camera" that
wants to make good 4x6 and 5x7 prints for his wife and daughter to use
in their scrapbooking/photo album ventures. There is absolutely
nothing threatening about me... nor is there anything to gain by
attacking me personally in any way here. I don't know enough about
advanced photography to fill a thimble, actually. Maybe the x530 is
not worth having... I don't know... but I can see no cheaper way of
experiencing the Foveon technology. If it's no good... I'll know, if
it's good though... well, I won't tell you because you probably
wouldn't believe me anyway.

warm regards,
Owen
Old October 8th 04, 04:48 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Owen Coors" wrote in message
om...
I'll say right up front, that if I could afford the Sigma slrs... I'd
certainly have one (or more)! Since I can't though, I am really hoping
for a VERY good experience with Polaroids compact/p&s version. Even if
I had the Sigmas, I'd want to get this camera to see if it is a
worthy, "have with me alway" camera. Whether I choose to look at it as
a 1.5mp or 2.75mp resolution equivalent or 4.5mp camera... it matters
not, because to date my best digital image maker has been an old
1.68mp, bayer sensor, Canon Pro70.

This makes no sense at all. You'd give up the Pro70, which is higher
resolution than the x530, and it doesn't matter that for $300 you could buy
a very good 4 megapixel camera!

Many of the problems with the Sigma SLRs are not sensor related, though many
of them are, especially the noise and ISO issues. There is no reason to
expect that the x530 will be any better in these areas, plus it's less than
1/2 the resolution of the 3.4 megapixel SD10.

8x10... and it is only lacking (my opinion) in the color department. I
use color management and icc profiles for the Pro70, but I'm hoping to
get even better color from foveons latest chip... even if it is in a
little plastic body.

Keep hoping Steve.

Old October 8th 04, 10:40 PM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Owen Coors" wrote in message
om...
I'll say right up front, that if I could afford the Sigma slrs... I'd
certainly have one (or more)! Since I can't though, I am really hoping
for a VERY good experience with Polaroids compact/p&s version. Even if
I had the Sigmas, I'd want to get this camera to see if it is a
worthy, "have with me alway" camera. Whether I choose to look at it as
a 1.5mp or 2.75mp resolution equivalent or 4.5mp camera... it matters
not, because to date my best digital image maker has been an old
1.68mp, bayer sensor, Canon Pro70. The Pro70 will print well up to
8x10... and it is only lacking (my opinion) in the color department. I
use color management and icc profiles for the Pro70, but I'm hoping to
get even better color from foveons latest chip... even if it is in a
little plastic body.

Owen

Although carrying the Polaroid name, the camera is not manufactured by
Polaroid. I would be wary to drop that kind of cash on a camera made by a
company new to the game, regardless of it having a Foveon sensor. I wanted
a good camera for my wife to use as a backup to my SD9 so I picked up a Fuji
FinePix S7000 for $ 355.00. Can't beat that camera at that price anywhere.
Sounds to me as though a camera like that will certainly meet your needs.
You could wait awhile and see if the rumored SD7 becomes a reality. The
price point will be lower than most, if not all, entry level DSLRs.

Old October 8th 04, 11:37 PM
Owen Coors

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message ink.net...
This makes no sense at all. You'd give up the Pro70, which is higher
resolution than the x530, and it doesn't matter that for $300 you could buy
a very good 4 megapixel camera!

Who said ANYTHING about giving up the Pro70? But since you asked...
I'd like to have a lightweight, high quality, digital camera to take
with me on a winter bicycle ride that will/would take me from Ohio,
USA up to James Bay in Ontario, Canada. Last year, I took a Kodak
DC290 and Sunpak 333 flash with sync cord on my 600 mile winter
ride... from Toledo, Ohio to Marquette, Michigan. All worked out fine
with the DC290 last year, but I need to pare down my "extranious
equipment" weight for this winters planned longer/remote venture.
Every ounce of equipment weight saved will be another ounce of
life-sustaining food that I can carry with me. Also, last year was my
first ever "far north" winter bike tour and this upcoming ride
would/will find me using far more of my "carry on" food supply because
of the remoteness of the region and much longer milage to travel.
Couple these with more effort expended to accomplish the ride within a
specific time frame and I'll be using even more food per day. Also,
the 500-gram DC290 that I took last year is not very big on capturing
quality image files (my opinion) as it is old, dated, VERY noisy
technology that really was not even any good... even for its day. The
Pro70, a wonderful tool (my opinion) is simply too heavy to take
along. Yes, I know that the combined weight of my DC290/Sunpak
333/sync cord last year exceeded this cameras weight, but thats the
point... I thought (rightfully, as it turned out) that I needed the
big flash to get a good shot of my Grandmother when I stopped by on my
way through. Not only did I get a "nice" usable shot of HER, because
of the flash... but a snowstorm caused me to seek shelter early one
afternoon and so I rented a room at a motel. I discovered that
evening, that I was within eight miles of my father... whom I had not
seen for 36 years. He was listed in the local phone book, so I jotted
down his address and showed up at his home the next day (could not
call ahead as a courtesy, because he is deaf). He was home and he
welcomed in and we had a glorious day together, before I tore myself
away and continued up the road. Oh yes... the point! I got some VERY
important images of my father because of having the Sunpak along.
Many of the problems with the Sigma SLRs are not sensor related, though many
of them are, especially the noise and ISO issues. There is no reason to
expect that the x530 will be any better in these areas, plus it's less than
1/2 the resolution of the 3.4 megapixel SD10.

I'm aware of these issues and I accept them in the Sigma cameras. I
do/didn't expect any better performance from the little Foveon sensor/
Polaroid x530. Looking at those sample images that were posted last
night (at 100%... monitor viewing) nearly caused me to walk away from
the x530, but that was just reactionary. When I considered all of the
possibilities, I realized that these images were probably shot in that
cameras jpeg mode (exif data showed "compression level...6"), I don't
know... if these images are from a final "production sample", or what
they would "look like" when shot in raw (either printed or viewing)
and then... I looked at them at "full screen preview" and I was QUITE
impressed (except for the obvious artifacts). It remains to be seen if
I will still want the x530, after all of the smoke has cleared.
8x10... and it is only lacking (my opinion) in the color department. I
use color management and icc profiles for the Pro70, but I'm hoping to
get even better color from foveons latest chip... even if it is in a
little plastic body.

Keep hoping Steve.

I will!

best regards,