Lens cleaning

Old September 19th 04, 05:04 PM
Paul Westwell

Default Lens cleaning

Hi all.

Having recently purchased a Fuji S5000 I was telling someone how I clean my
lens by breathing on it and wiping it with my hanky to which they responded
with panic!

Am I likely to do any harm, are their coatings really that delicate... is
the damage already done?

Regards,

Paul

Old September 19th 04, 05:08 PM
Marvin Margoshes

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
Hi all.

Having recently purchased a Fuji S5000 I was telling someone how I clean
my lens by breathing on it and wiping it with my hanky to which they
responded with panic!

Am I likely to do any harm, are their coatings really that delicate... is
the damage already done?

Regards,

Paul

There are usually tiny bits of material on a hanky that can scratch the
coating. The accumulated scratches will be worse than the dirt.

Old September 19th 04, 05:19 PM
wayne

if the camera has the mount get a filter for it so you scratch the filter.
I found the moist lens cleaners made for plastic eyeglass lenses seem to
work pretty well. They look like wet naps!

Wayne

Old September 19th 04, 07:19 PM
Bill Crocker

A clean hanky is perfect. They're soft cotton, and will do no harm. Your
breath is just condensed moisture, and would not carry any contaminants.
Take a shot of Jack Daniels, before breathing on the lens, for those really
stubborn spots! You do have to be careful about rubbing the lens
however, as particles on the lens could scratch it. They recommend you use
a camels hair brush. Preferably from a camel that hasn't spent too much
time in the desert.
Bill Crocker

Old September 19th 04, 07:52 PM
Gene Palmiter

Years ago I was a photography student and had the time to use a proper lens
kit....as a working photojournalist I don't have that time. I keep a
protective skylight filter on all lenses and wipe them with my tee-shirt
when necessary. I buy a new protective filter as necessary...about every
year....and that is mostly from big scratches...not the little ones from
cleaning. (I don't use a lens cap as too often I forget to take it off and
miss the first and usually best shot.

Old September 19th 04, 08:06 PM
Joseph Meehan

Paul Westwell wrote:
Hi all.

Having recently purchased a Fuji S5000 I was telling someone how I clean
my
lens

How often do you clean your lens??? It should need cleaning only
rarely. Few lenses are ever damaged. Lenses and not as sensitive as they
were many years ago. However I am going to guess that more lenses are
damaged by cleaning than by anything else. Almost all of that cleaning is
excessive cleaning.

by breathing on it and wiping it with my hanky to which they responded
with panic!

Given a clean hanky, not one that has been in your pocket with loose
change and who knows what for three weeks is fine.

The safest leaning would be a puff of clean dry air, as from a clean ear
syringe. Next would be a clean camel hair brush. Your method is good (a
true lens cleaning tissue, used once and discarded would be better) for
smudges etc that will not come off with the air or brush. In any case,
don't clean unless it is really needed.

I don't subscribe to the "protective filter" thing many people and
almost all camera salespeople try to say is necessary but decide for
yourself.

Am I likely to do any harm, are their coatings really that delicate...

No, no lens made today uses the kind of soft glass and coatings that
started all this fear. I might add that even back in the old days, the
"damage" did not really do much real damage. It is mostly worry and not
fact.

is
the damage already done?

Not likely.