Aperture's Future

Old August 16th 16, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Aperture's Future

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Meanwhile it would not surprise me if some enterprising developer
produced a wireless to wired converter.

Google: "bluetooth adapter for wired headphones". There's plenty.

I wonder if there is a practical way of perplexing a Bluetooth signal. I
can see a lot of uses for that functionality.

wtf is perplexing a bluetooth signal?

Perplexing is your attempt at logic.

You know damn well that was a typo. Should be multiplexing.

a typo is not the same as using the wrong word.
Old August 16th 16, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-08-15 22:01:12 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/15/2016 10:02 AM, PAS wrote:

snip

Eliminating the headphone jack in favor of a wireless connection leaves
those of us with a good set of wired headphones out in the cold. I'm
perfectly happy with the headphones and earbuds that I use and have no
inkling to buy new ones. I would hesitate to buy a phone without a
jack. If all phone makers eventually eliminate the jack then there is no
choice left for me. In the meantime, I want a jack on my phone.

Can't resist. Apple is basically telling us to jack off.

....and so is Samsung.

Meanwhile it would not surprise me if some enterprising developer
produced a wireless to wired converter.

It has probably already happened.

Savageduck

Old August 16th 16, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 2016-08-15 22:01:12 +0000, PeterN said:

snip

Meanwhile it would not surprise me if some enterprising developer
produced a wireless to wired converter.

It has probably already happened.

Wouldn't that be called a "radio receiver"?

--
Ken Hart

Old August 16th 16, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Meanwhile it would not surprise me if some enterprising developer
produced a wireless to wired converter.

It has probably already happened.

Wouldn't that be called a "radio receiver"?

while it technically is a radio, a bluetooth adapter is not what people
think of when they hear 'radio receiver'.
Old August 16th 16, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article 201608151649189754-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

Eliminating the headphone jack in favor of a wireless connection leaves
those of us with a good set of wired headphones out in the cold. I'm
perfectly happy with the headphones and earbuds that I use and have no
inkling to buy new ones. I would hesitate to buy a phone without a
jack. If all phone makers eventually eliminate the jack then there is no
choice left for me. In the meantime, I want a jack on my phone.

Can't resist. Apple is basically telling us to jack off.

...and so is Samsung.

and lenovo and others.
Old August 16th 16, 04:30 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Bob[_27_]

George Kerby wrote:
So, folks, anyone have any workarounds? Any backdoor approaches to get my
files? Hell, I would even try pirate software - just to recover my work. I
am REALLY miffed that Apple would do this to their first believers: Artists,
photographers and filmmakers, among others that are left with no way out!

Again, looking forward to ANY positive suggestions, and thanks for the time
- since that has gotten rather lengthily!!

On the machine upgraded to OSX 10.11, install VMWare and then install
OSX 10.8 into a VM. Now run Apperature in the 10.8 VM.
Old August 16th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 15/08/2016 22:16, Alan Browne wrote:
[]
One of the disappointments of iOS is it obfuscates what's happening at
the GNSS hardware level (It's not just GPS - there's GLONASS and SBAS
in there as well with Galileo and Beidou chipsets ready for market
already). There is no individual satellite information (least of all
signal level). Some apps can predict line of sight signal level based
on computed elevation angle - but it isn't what is being received. (Esp.
with the crappy GPS antennas in all smartphones).

The sole things iOS outputs as a FOM is the error radius (expressed as a
blue circle in the Apple and Google Maps, for example) and whether or
not satellites are being used at all (in which case position is
determined by available cell towers).

Satellite location (elevation, bearing) can be calculated easily enough
from the user position and an up to date (less than 30 days old)
almanac. Indeed I had an app that did just that (dumped it at some point).

Android already allows access to basic satellite data ("SNR",
elevation,bearing, ...) from the internal hardware and the upcoming
Android N release will allow even more - down to carrier phase, Doppler,
PR's, etc.

From that you'll see people developing apps to use cheap android phones
as local area differential base stations resulting in reliable
sub-meter, possibly sub-decimeter accuracy, for receivers less than 10
km from the reference station. This will (amongst other things) be of
great benefit to the exploding drone market.

I've been putting off buying an Android phone - but when "N" releases
I'll buy a used (N compatible) phone.

Thanks for that, Alan, it confirms what I had been told. I am guilty of
saying GPS when I really mean GNSS. My Moto G3 phone already includes
support for GLONASS so that's encouraging. It runs Android 6
Marshmallow at the moment. As the Moto G4 is now out, I would expect
the price on the G3 to drop even further. I'm hoping for a Galileo
compatible phone as my next purchase, although the Moto G3 does
everything I need otherwise, and has a surprisingly acceptable camera
(for the price).

Why a used phone, though, with a potentially more limited battery life?

--
Cheers,
David
Old August 16th 16, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 15/08/2016 20:28, PAS wrote:
On 8/15/2016 12:57 PM, David Taylor wrote:
On 15/08/2016 17:20, PAS wrote:
On 8/15/2016 11:03 AM, PeterN wrote:

[]
But MS did break Outlook, so running older versions on Win 10, and
often on Win7, is a futz job.

I think that might be the case for the Office suite, not just Outlook.

I never used Outlook, but even Office 2000 runs on Windows-10.

Office 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 are confirmed by MS to be compatible
with Windows 10. Older version may work in compatibility mode but no
guarantees that there will not be any issues.

The only one which works better in compatibility mode is Excel 2000,
which runs in Windows-7 mode. Of course, YMMV.

--
Cheers,
David
Old August 16th 16, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

Why a used phone, though, with a potentially more limited battery life?

because like any used product, it's cheaper than new and there is no
issue with limited battery life.
Old August 16th 16, 05:50 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Jolly Roger[_2_]

In message
On 2016-08-15, Lewis wrote:
In message
David Empson wrote:
If running a VM with the right OS X Server version is too hard, then the
admin tools can be run on the actual server and accessed via Apple
Remote Desktop or other screen sharing solutions. (I mostly use the
latter to administer my 10.6 Server, but I also have the VM method if I
need it.)

I used the admin tools on 10.6 myself as I had a Mac mini server with
10.6 on it for several years. When my other machines moved on to 10.7
and then 10.8 I would use ARD to access the server and run the tools
"locally". Worked a treat.

I too used 10.6 server tools for some time. But with all of the serious
security vulnerabilities that have been found and patched in later
versions of OS X since 10.6, there's no way I'd consider opening a
server running 10.6 to the world. My world-facing server runs the very
latest.

Yeah, I upgraded that server to 10.8 with the Server app at some point,
and then retired using Server at all by 10.9.something.

Still using Server here on 10.11.

JR