Aperture's Future

Old August 15th 16, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

Default Aperture's Future

On 8/15/2016 12:57 PM, David Taylor wrote:
On 15/08/2016 17:20, PAS wrote:
On 8/15/2016 11:03 AM, PeterN wrote:

[]
But MS did break Outlook, so running older versions on Win 10, and
often on Win7, is a futz job.

I think that might be the case for the Office suite, not just Outlook.

I never used Outlook, but even Office 2000 runs on Windows-10.

Office 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016 are confirmed by MS to be compatible
with Windows 10. Older version may work in compatibility mode but no
guarantees that there will not be any issues.

Old August 15th 16, 08:46 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Jolly Roger[_2_]

On 2016-08-15, Lewis wrote:
In message
David Empson wrote:
If running a VM with the right OS X Server version is too hard, then the
admin tools can be run on the actual server and accessed via Apple
Remote Desktop or other screen sharing solutions. (I mostly use the
latter to administer my 10.6 Server, but I also have the VM method if I
need it.)

I used the admin tools on 10.6 myself as I had a Mac mini server with
10.6 on it for several years. When my other machines moved on to 10.7
and then 10.8 I would use ARD to access the server and run the tools
"locally". Worked a treat.

I too used 10.6 server tools for some time. But with all of the serious
security vulnerabilities that have been found and patched in later
versions of OS X since 10.6, there's no way I'd consider opening a
server running 10.6 to the world. My world-facing server runs the very
latest.

JR
Old August 15th 16, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

...er, have you looked?
http://www.lodestonewireless.com/gps-diagnostic.html

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps-...nt/id102096789
4?mt=8

Yes, I have looked. The "quality" values displayed by that program are
completely meaningless (we expect SNR in dB), the satellite PRNs aren't
listed, nor are the satellite locations.

One of the experts on the iPad newsgroup said that Apple did not expose
the necessary information for a meaningful display, so it was impossible
to write a proper GPS monitoring program for iOS.

use a external gps, like the one you claim to be using with android.
Old August 15th 16, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/14/2016 3:16 PM, nospam wrote:

ipads are anything *but* expensive, starting at $269.

For most of us an iPad is just a tool. Considering the limited use it is
quite expensive.
When you say $269 are you talking about the brand new price for a soon
to be obsolete device?
Let's see the whole deal.

--
PeterN
Old August 15th 16, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-08-15 15:12, David Taylor wrote:
[]
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps-diagnostic-test-measurement/id1020967894?mt=8

Yes, I have looked. The "quality" values displayed by that program are
completely meaningless (we expect SNR in dB), the satellite PRNs aren't
listed, nor are the satellite locations.

One of the experts on the iPad newsgroup said that Apple did not expose
the necessary information for a meaningful display, so it was impossible
to write a proper GPS monitoring program for iOS.

One of the disappointments of iOS is it obfuscates what's happening at
the GNSS hardware level (It's not just GPS - there's GLONASS and SBAS
in there as well with Galileo and Beidou chipsets ready for market
already). There is no individual satellite information (least of all
signal level). Some apps can predict line of sight signal level based
on computed elevation angle - but it isn't what is being received.
(Esp. with the crappy GPS antennas in all smartphones).

The sole things iOS outputs as a FOM is the error radius (expressed as a
blue circle in the Apple and Google Maps, for example) and whether or
not satellites are being used at all (in which case position is
determined by available cell towers).

Satellite location (elevation, bearing) can be calculated easily enough
from the user position and an up to date (less than 30 days old)
almanac. Indeed I had an app that did just that (dumped it at some point).

Android already allows access to basic satellite data ("SNR",
elevation,bearing, ...) from the internal hardware and the upcoming
Android N release will allow even more - down to carrier phase, Doppler,
PR's, etc.

From that you'll see people developing apps to use cheap android phones
as local area differential base stations resulting in reliable
sub-meter, possibly sub-decimeter accuracy, for receivers less than 10
km from the reference station. This will (amongst other things) be of
great benefit to the exploding drone market.

I've been putting off buying an Android phone - but when "N" releases
I'll buy a used (N compatible) phone.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
Old August 15th 16, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/15/2016 9:11 AM, android wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 12:24:13 +0100, David Taylor
wrote in
:

On 14/08/2016 21:05, Savageduck wrote:
[]
I didn't buy my iPad for its camera, and when I eventually buy a new
iPad, it will not be for its camera. If I want to upgrade my camera I
will buy a new camera, not an iPad. As for the camera in my iPhone, I
have always considered that a camera of last resort when I have nothing
else available. Now that I have upgraded my old iPhone 5S to an iPhone
6S+ I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of image I can get with
it, but it remains a secondary photography tool for me. Though I have
friends who use it as their only camera.

No the phone is not my only camera either, but for a quick "snap" it's
difficult to beat, and it can see through grilles far better than my MFT
camera. It can even be poked into areas where no MFT or DSLR could
reach.

I think that the Xperia M4 gives quite god results, within the the
envelope of the small cellphone sensors. Sony has unfortunately decided
to dump that affordable and rain safe line of mobiles.

Do your Moto G3 do DNG? If so you can use the free mobile Lightroom to
edit those files on the go!

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/67...obe-lightroom-
android-2-0

DxO has a rolling ranking of phone sensors at the right side of this page:

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles

I'm finding less and less reason to take the iPad on a day trip, as I
can do almost everything - perhaps even everything - on the Moto G3
phone (including some programs which aren't available for the iPad).

I suppose those programs would be custom stuff related to your
particular interest in satellites?

Not weather satellite related, but simply programs which are not
available for iOS.

A WiFi tethered UMPC is probably the best way to go for more advanced
mobile computing. You can use most smartphones phone as hotspots.

The key word being "most." I use Verizon and got dedicated a portable
hotspot. It keeps my wife happy on her iPad, while I am off taking
pictures. (Verizon phones may not be used as a telephone while browsing
the Internet.)

--
PeterN
Old August 15th 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/15/2016 10:02 AM, PAS wrote:

snip

Eliminating the headphone jack in favor of a wireless connection leaves
those of us with a good set of wired headphones out in the cold. I'm
perfectly happy with the headphones and earbuds that I use and have no
inkling to buy new ones. I would hesitate to buy a phone without a
jack. If all phone makers eventually eliminate the jack then there is no
choice left for me. In the meantime, I want a jack on my phone.

Can't resist. Apple is basically telling us to jack off.

Meanwhile it would not surprise me if some enterprising developer
produced a wireless to wired converter.

--
PeterN
Old August 15th 16, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/15/2016 12:20 PM, PAS wrote:
On 8/15/2016 11:03 AM, PeterN wrote:
On 8/13/2016 9:25 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:53:41 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I'm still running Paint Shop Pro 5, which I'm sure
will run on Win10, despite being some 15 years
older. That's because the Windows API is
additive: System functions are added but not
broken. As long as a function was officially
documented as part of the API, it can be depended
upon to work. In 1995 or 2016.

This is absolutely not true. I am always very surprised when my older
software works from one version of Windows to the next. Cool Edit 2000
might be my only software that has continued to work through the
years, and it is certainly the only audio/music software that has.

But MS did break Outlook, so running older versions on Win 10, and
often on Win7, is a futz job.

I think that might be the case for the Office suite, not just Outlook.

I have no issue using Word, Excel and PowerPoint, 2003. The components
would work well for my needs, if they didn't play around with Outlook. I
have a site license so I have the right to use it in the manner I do.

--
PeterN
Old August 15th 16, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 15/08/2016 17:20, PAS wrote:
On 8/15/2016 11:03 AM, PeterN wrote:

[]
But MS did break Outlook, so running older versions on Win 10, and
often on Win7, is a futz job.

I think that might be the case for the Office suite, not just Outlook.

I never used Outlook, but even Office 2000 runs on Windows-10.

See my comment about Outlook.

--
PeterN
Old August 15th 16, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

ipads are anything *but* expensive, starting at $269.

For most of us an iPad is just a tool. Considering the limited use it is
quite expensive.

it's only as limited as the user wants it to be.

When you say $269 are you talking about the brand new price for a soon
to be obsolete device?

while there will likely be new ipads in a few weeks, the price points
don't generally change, except sometimes to go down.

the entry price of the first ipad was $499. now it's $269.

Let's see the whole deal.

apple.com