Aperture's Future

Old August 14th 16, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default Aperture's Future

Savageduck:
To start with this thread has nothing to do with Windows, it has to do
with George Kerby's failure to update a now defunct and unsupported
application, Aperture, when he was given fair warning and the
opportunity to do so.

Tony Cooper:
Where would the "fair warning" appear?

Major newspapers, including WaPo and NYT tech sections both on-line and
print; computer magazines, both on-line and print; MacInTouch,
MacWorld, MacNN, MacSurfer, Mac Rumors, TidBits, literally thousands of
web sites related to Macintosh, digital photography, and general
computer graphics. This forum. Adobe forums. Apple discussion groups.

Neither I nor any of the photographers I know has access to Apple
secrets, yet we all realized at about the same time that Aperture was
dead. Four years after Aperture 3 was released, with no Aperture 4 in
sight, there was still time for those determined to stick with that
dead horse to get the freshest version of that dead horse. Or to jump
ship for Lightroom.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old August 14th 16, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Davoud
wrote:

[...]

good point.

people knew aperture was dead long before there was any formal
announcement from apple.
Old August 15th 16, 04:11 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article om, JF
Mezei wrote:

In the case of an app that was purchased on DVD and never "logged" into
the App store, can't the user call Apple and have them issue him some
sort of coupon which would allow him to get the now hidden product from
the App store ?

yes
Old August 15th 16, 06:13 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
Jolly Roger[_2_]

On 2016-08-14 13:58, Jolly Roger wrote:

Apple tends to write code to disable an app just because.

That's a lie born of pure ignorance of the technical issues at hand.

There was no reason for Apple to disable the Snow Leopard server CLIENT
apps.

You have zero knowledge of why Apple discontinued support, nor do you have
knowledge of the technical and other issues that led to that decision.

the newer client apps are not compatible with Snow
Leopard

then you can either upgrade the OS or continue using the older client apps.

(and are very limited).

Debatable. The command line tools are not very limited at all.

Anyhow none of this has any relevance to the OPs issue with Aperture which
runs fine in the latest OS versions.

JR
Old August 15th 16, 07:15 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
David Empson

On 2016-08-14 13:58, Jolly Roger wrote:

Apple tends to write code to disable an app just because.

That's a lie born of pure ignorance of the technical issues at hand.

There was no reason for Apple to disable the Snow Leopard server CLIENT
apps.

You have zero knowledge of why Apple discontinued support, nor do you have
knowledge of the technical and other issues that led to that decision.

There was no "decision", at least not one specifically relating to Snow
Leopard Server.

Every version of the Mac OS X Server admin tools only permit
installation and use on the same major OS X version as the server. This
is in the documentation for the server.

In some cases, there are clear technical reasons why this restriction
exists, for example the 10.4 or earlier version of Workgroup Manager
uses NetInfo, so it cannot run on Mac OS X 10.5 or later, because 10.5
switched to Directory Services and eliminated NetInfo.

More generally, the admin tools may use OS features which are expected
to match the server version they administer, so Apple only tests and
supports the admin tools running on the same OS X version as the server,
and includes an explicit version check to prevent the server
administrator from shooting themselves in the foot in case something
isn't compatible.

Those who want to administer OS X Server remotely need to maintain a way
to run the same major OS X version on the admin machine as the server,
or risk using a later version of the admin tools (which in some cases do
work with a server one version back, but may not be fully compatible).

If running a VM with the right OS X Server version is too hard, then the
admin tools can be run on the actual server and accessed via Apple
Remote Desktop or other screen sharing solutions. (I mostly use the
latter to administer my 10.6 Server, but I also have the VM method if I
need it.)

I've told JF Mezei this before but he persists in complaining about it.

the newer client apps are not compatible with Snow Leopard

then you can either upgrade the OS or continue using the older client apps.

(and are very limited).

Debatable. The command line tools are not very limited at all.

Anyhow none of this has any relevance to the OPs issue with Aperture which
runs fine in the latest OS versions.

Agreed.

--
David Empson

Old August 15th 16, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 14/08/2016 21:05, Savageduck wrote:
[]
I didn't buy my iPad for its camera, and when I eventually buy a new
iPad, it will not be for its camera. If I want to upgrade my camera I
will buy a new camera, not an iPad. As for the camera in my iPhone, I
have always considered that a camera of last resort when I have nothing
else available. Now that I have upgraded my old iPhone 5S to an iPhone
6S+ I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of image I can get with
it, but it remains a secondary photography tool for me. Though I have
friends who use it as their only camera.

No the phone is not my only camera either, but for a quick "snap" it's
difficult to beat, and it can see through grilles far better than my MFT
camera. It can even be poked into areas where no MFT or DSLR could reach.

I'm finding less and less reason to take the iPad on a day trip, as I
can do almost everything - perhaps even everything - on the Moto G3
phone (including some programs which aren't available for the iPad).

I suppose those programs would be custom stuff related to your
particular interest in satellites?

Not weather satellite related, but simply programs which are not
available for iOS.

--
Cheers,
David
Old August 15th 16, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Old August 15th 16, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 12:24:13 +0100, David Taylor
wrote in
:

On 14/08/2016 21:05, Savageduck wrote:
[]
I didn't buy my iPad for its camera, and when I eventually buy a new
iPad, it will not be for its camera. If I want to upgrade my camera I
will buy a new camera, not an iPad. As for the camera in my iPhone, I
have always considered that a camera of last resort when I have nothing
else available. Now that I have upgraded my old iPhone 5S to an iPhone
6S+ I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of image I can get with
it, but it remains a secondary photography tool for me. Though I have
friends who use it as their only camera.

No the phone is not my only camera either, but for a quick "snap" it's
difficult to beat, and it can see through grilles far better than my MFT
camera. It can even be poked into areas where no MFT or DSLR could
reach.

I think that the Xperia M4 gives quite god results, within the the
envelope of the small cellphone sensors. Sony has unfortunately decided
to dump that affordable and rain safe line of mobiles.

Do your Moto G3 do DNG? If so you can use the free mobile Lightroom to
edit those files on the go!

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/67...obe-lightroom-
android-2-0

DxO has a rolling ranking of phone sensors at the right side of this page:

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles

I'm finding less and less reason to take the iPad on a day trip, as I
can do almost everything - perhaps even everything - on the Moto G3
phone (including some programs which aren't available for the iPad).

I suppose those programs would be custom stuff related to your
particular interest in satellites?

Not weather satellite related, but simply programs which are not
available for iOS.

A WiFi tethered UMPC is probably the best way to go for more advanced
mobile computing. You can use most smartphones phone as hotspots.

--
teleportation kills
Old August 15th 16, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 8/13/2016 8:48 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| So, folks, anyone have any workarounds?
|
| Leave Apple.
|
| Idiot!

It's hard to argue with his logic. The man paid
$225 for Apple software, which Apple couldn't be
bothered to provide backward compatibility for on
a system that's only 4 years old.

except that apple not only bothered to update it, but aperture
continues to work in the current version of macos, el capitan, well
past aperture's discontinuation a couple of years ago.

the problem is that he has an outdated version of aperture, 3.4.5, not
the current version, 3.6.

I'm still running Paint Shop Pro 5, which I'm sure
will run on Win10, despite being some 15 years
older. That's because the Windows API is
additive: System functions are added but not
broken. As long as a function was officially
documented as part of the API, it can be depended
upon to work. In 1995 or 2016. And PSP is 3rd-party
software. Breaking their own software on their own
system is inexcusable. On the other hand, George
Kerby must surely know what to expect from Apple
by now.

there's plenty of old windows apps that won't run on win7, nevermind
win10. in fact, i just ran into that a couple of weeks ago.

when win7 came out, a *lot* of stuff broke, particularly drivers.

The solution with Apple is always the same:
Take the AppleSeed ring out of your nose or send
them a wheelbarrow full of money twice a year
to stay current with their capricious and
expensive scam.

more bull****.

Next month the AppleSeeds will all be buying
digital headphone jacks because Apple removed
the generic, analog audio jack and told them it's
no longer relevant. And they'll all thank Apple for
making them spend money, while scorning stupid
Windows people for still using analog headphones
that are immune to DRM restrictions. Go figure.

apple isn't the first company that didn't use a standard headphone jack
and it has nothing whatsoever to do with drm.

the entire industry (not just apple) is moving to newer and better
standards, namely wireless headsets and digital wired headphones,
because they provide a lot of advantages versus a 100 year old analog
connector.

as usual, the haters always bitch about apple when other companies do
exactly the same thing:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/10/11...o-headphone-ja
ck
Lenovo has decided that its 2016 flagship Android smartphone doesn't
need a 3.5mm headphone jack. Neither the Moto Z nor its slightly
thicker, slightly better Moto Z Force variant offers an analog audio
port, though both come with a USB-C adapter in the box.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/20/11...one-electric-c
ar-usbc-headphones
...LeEco's Le 2, Le 2 Pro, and Le Max 2 all come jack-less and instead
only allow for USB Type-C digital headphones. Oh, you don't have
USB-C headphones, you say? LeEco just released two pairs of those,
too! I told you, totally prepared for the future.

while usb-c headphones may be new, non-standard headphone jacks
definitely are not.

back in 2008, the t-mobile g1 had a proprietary headphone jack, as did
other htc phones:
https://www.engadget.com/2008/09/23/...-has-no-3-5mm-
headphone-jack/
Like many recent HTCs (Touch HD notably excepted), the G1 eschews a
standard 3.5mm headphone jack for its proprietary ExtUSB connector,
meaning you'll need custom headphones or an adapter to plug in your
own. What's worse, the adapter won't be available immediately at
launch, just a bundled headset. Why, HTC? Why?

and going back even further, non-standard headphone jacks were *very*
common with flip and candybar phones, whether it was a 2.5mm trs jack
or a custom connector.

sony ericsson phones had a dock-style connector on the bottom for
charging, headphones and/or usb, which means you couldn't do more than
one at the same time unless you have an adapter that supported it.

https://www.amazon.com/Headset-Adapt...ter/dp/B000LMB
JMA
https://www.amazon.com/Hands-Free-He...-Ericsson/dp/B
001J4XPE4/

Eliminating the headphone jack in favor of a wireless connection leaves
those of us with a good set of wired headphones out in the cold. I'm
perfectly happy with the headphones and earbuds that I use and have no
inkling to buy new ones. I would hesitate to buy a phone without a
jack. If all phone makers eventually eliminate the jack then there is no
choice left for me. In the meantime, I want a jack on my phone.

Old August 15th 16, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/13/2016 9:25 PM, Bill W wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:53:41 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

I'm still running Paint Shop Pro 5, which I'm sure
will run on Win10, despite being some 15 years
older. That's because the Windows API is
additive: System functions are added but not
broken. As long as a function was officially
documented as part of the API, it can be depended
upon to work. In 1995 or 2016.

This is absolutely not true. I am always very surprised when my older
software works from one version of Windows to the next. Cool Edit 2000
might be my only software that has continued to work through the
years, and it is certainly the only audio/music software that has.

But MS did break Outlook, so running older versions on Win 10, and often
on Win7, is a futz job.

--
PeterN