Nikon's $2500 plastic 105mm lens

Old December 4th 16, 08:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Nikon's $2500 plastic 105mm lens

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 22:11:30 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

Disappointingly plasticy build-quality. Note the ribs they had to apply to the inner ring to keep it from flexing, a necessity with plastic. But what should worry people are the plastic nylon gears in the drive-train.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/428373...ent=0767073354

I don't know what you are talking about and I don't think you do
either.

'If' the ribs are applied to the inner ring to keep it fom flexing, so
what? This is something you can do economically with a molded
component but is not practical with a conventionally machined metal
component.

Eric Stevens
Old December 4th 16, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:

Disappointingly plasticy build-quality. Note the ribs they had to apply to the inner ring to keep it from flexing, a necessity with plastic. But what should worry people are the plastic nylon gears in the drive-train.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/428373...ent=0767073354

I don't know what you are talking about and I don't think you do
either.

'If' the ribs are applied to the inner ring to keep it fom flexing, so
what? This is something you can do economically with a molded
component but is not practical with a conventionally machined metal
component.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...f1-4e-ed-af-s/

" it’s a great lens and solidly constructed. Its focusing system is
still excellent and accurate"
Old December 5th 16, 06:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

wrote:

Disappointingly plasticy build-quality. Note the ribs they had to apply to the inner ring to keep it from flexing, a necessity with plastic. But what should worry people are the plastic nylon gears in the drive-train.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/428373...ent=0767073354

I don't know what you are talking about and I don't think you do
either.

'If' the ribs are applied to the inner ring to keep it fom flexing, so
what? This is something you can do economically with a molded
component but is not practical with a conventionally machined metal
component.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...f1-4e-ed-af-s/

" it’s a great lens and solidly constructed. Its focusing system is
still excellent and accurate"

Isn't focusing these lenses down to the DSLR? The lenses have the motor but the DSLR determines the accuracy.

I think the point of that comment was that the focus system is excellent
and accurate despite the fact that it wasn't a ring-motor type
ultrasonic motor, Nikon suggesting that it was in marketing material.
Nikon have apparently changed their description in marketing blurbs etc.
Good thing - as that was a bit of a porkie.

Reviews seem to praise the optical performance as outstanding.

Old December 5th 16, 08:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

Disappointingly plasticy build-quality. Note the ribs they had to apply
to the inner ring to keep it from flexing, a necessity with plastic. But
what should worry people are the plastic nylon gears in the drive-train.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/428373...wn-the-nikon-1
05mm-f1-4?comment=0767073354

I don't know what you are talking about and I don't think you do
either.

'If' the ribs are applied to the inner ring to keep it fom flexing, so
what? This is something you can do economically with a molded
component but is not practical with a conventionally machined metal
component.

Eric Stevens

For Zeiss dollars I'd expect Zeiss build quality.

Zeiss don't have the autofocusing that most photogs crave...
--
teleportation kills
Old December 5th 16, 08:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Dec 5, 2016, android wrote
(in ):

https://www.dpreview.com/news/428373...own-the-nikon-
1
05mm-f1-4?comment=0767073354

I don't know what you are talking about and I don't think you do
either.

'If' the ribs are applied to the inner ring to keep it fom flexing, so
what? This is something you can do economically with a molded
component but is not practical with a conventionally machined metal
component.

Eric Stevens

For Zeiss dollars I'd expect Zeiss build quality.

Zeiss don't have the autofocusing that most photogs crave...

Sure they do.
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/camera_lenses/touit/touit2812.html

Savageduck

Old December 5th 16, 10:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

On Dec 5, 2016, android wrote
(in ):

https://www.dpreview.com/news/428373...rs-down-the-ni
kon-
1
05mm-f1-4?comment=0767073354

I don't know what you are talking about and I don't think you do
either.

'If' the ribs are applied to the inner ring to keep it fom flexing, so
what? This is something you can do economically with a molded
component but is not practical with a conventionally machined metal
component.

Eric Stevens

For Zeiss dollars I'd expect Zeiss build quality.

Zeiss don't have the autofocusing that most photogs crave...

Sure they do.
http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_us/camera_lenses/touit/touit2812.html

Those wont fit Erichs D750...
--
teleportation kills
Old December 5th 16, 03:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-05 10:51:51 +0000, android said:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 5, 2016, android wrote
(in ):
wrote:

[...]

....and yet they have full metering and AF when fitted to an appropriate camera.

Savageduck

Old December 5th 16, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2016-12-05 10:51:51 +0000, android said:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 5, 2016, android wrote
(in ):

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/e.../touit2812.htm

Those wont fit Erichs D750...

...and yet they have full metering and AF when fitted to an appropriate
camera.

I fail to se your point. The lense in question was a full frame one and
the tuts are only halfframe suitable. Oki, the will work on a Sony A7,
methinks but wont render out properly on the full sensor area!
--
teleportation kills
Old December 5th 16, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-12-05 10:51:51 +0000, android said:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:
On Dec 5, 2016, android wrote
(in ):
wrote:

[...]

As you would say; "Oki"

Old December 6th 16, 03:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

Disappointingly plasticy build-quality. Note the ribs they had to apply to the inner ring to keep it from flexing, a necessity with plastic. But what should worry people are the plastic nylon gears in the drive-train.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/428373...ent=0767073354

I don't know what you are talking about and I don't think you do
either.

'If' the ribs are applied to the inner ring to keep it fom flexing, so
what? This is something you can do economically with a molded
component but is not practical with a conventionally machined metal
component.

Eric Stevens

For Zeiss dollars I'd expect Zeiss build quality.

What you are talking about is called 'styling'.

Eric Stevens