Canon S-120 versus Canon G7X

Old May 23rd 16, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

Default Canon S-120 versus Canon G7X

On 23/05/2016 12:42, Me wrote:
On 23/05/2016 09:06, newshound wrote:

But of course it is really the photographer who takes the picture, not
the camera. It's easy to get too obsessed with the "tech".

While I generally agree with that, and it's often quoted as if it was a
law or absolute, it also irks me somewhat with regard to what I actually
see:
What I see now is photos in magazines (not photographic magazines - I
don't read them much), some of which are marvelous not just in context
of composition etc, but they would not have been technically possible to
achieve until recently, low/natural light, high-speed etc.

Hit the send button too early by accident there. I blame damned "tech".

I'd also comment that among the cat photos, posed selfies, and portrait
format video posts I get to cringe at on facebook, the typical quality
of other photos posted by people using cellphones, taken probably having
no understanding of the "tech" beyond setting a scene mode or some
automatic post-processing, the average photo quality seems vastly better
than many old photo albums I've see. An exception being the very old
albums taken when people got dressed up to go to town for a formal
session with the local photographer. However many of the posted photos
on FB etc are not "formal", but candid records of the times. They're
very dependent on use of "tech" and the photos have got better as that
tech has improved.
Old May 23rd 16, 10:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 5/23/2016 1:56 AM, Me wrote:
On 23/05/2016 12:42, Me wrote:
[...]

Oh yes, I'm not against tech! I'm still amazed how well the processor
algorithms work, giving you cloud detail in the sky together with shadow
detail in the main subject. They let people with a good eye but no
interest or knowledge of the tech take *great* photos. And of course
with still and video available just about everywhere so many rare events
get captured now, where once you could only see the aftermath.

I did a little bit of filming in Super 8. These days my entry level
smartphone out-performs 16 mm, or studio TV cameras from 40 years ago.

But I think we are getting into "diminishing returns" territory for most
purposes. Phones are catching up with compacts. Most journalists settled
on 35 mm rather than medium format. Larger formats have their place
(advertising, modelling, weddings) but even APS-C is getting close to that.

But as you say, the tech lets you capture stunning images that we could
only have dreamed of at one time (Star shots, time lapse or video of
aurora, etc). I say that having played with long exposure of star trails
on transparency film many years ago, without access to dark skies.
Old May 23rd 16, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
newshound wrote:

I did a little bit of filming in Super 8. These days my entry level
smartphone out-performs 16 mm, or studio TV cameras from 40 years ago.

exactly why kodak releasing a super-8 movie camera in 2016 is one of
the most stupidest things *ever*.
Old May 23rd 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

newshound wrote:
But of course it is really the photographer who takes the picture, not
the camera. It's easy to get too obsessed with the "tech". Assuming you
are the guy with the Flickr page, you don't need to apologise for your
hardware!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I am not a Flicker guy. I usually exchange images
as e-mail attachments where possible.

Mort Linder
Old May 24th 16, 04:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

RichA wrote:
On Saturday, 21 May 2016 15:55:48 UTC-4, Mort wrote:
Hi,

I would appreciate any comments about this.

I have been using a pair of Canon S-120 pocket cameras for casual and
semi-serious picture taking, especially on the road. I am a long-term
amateur , who remembers working with Kodachrome at ASA 10 and then 25.

I was recently gifted a Canon G7X, which although small is certainly
larger than the S-120.

Don't be hidebound by Canon. There are better compacts out there.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the advice. As I mentioned, I got the Canon G7X free, as a
gift. At my stage in life, free is very nice indeed.

Mort Linder
Old May 24th 16, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 5/24/2016 11:06 AM, Mort wrote:
RichA wrote:
On Saturday, 21 May 2016 15:55:48 UTC-4, Mort wrote:
Hi,

I would appreciate any comments about this.

I have been using a pair of Canon S-120 pocket cameras for casual and
semi-serious picture taking, especially on the road. I am a long-term
amateur , who remembers working with Kodachrome at ASA 10 and then 25.

I was recently gifted a Canon G7X, which although small is certainly
larger than the S-120.

Don't be hidebound by Canon. There are better compacts out there.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the advice. As I mentioned, I got the Canon G7X free, as a
gift. At my stage in life, free is very nice indeed.

Mort Linder

Free is very nice indeed, at any age.

--
PeterN