5DIII and infrared

Old July 21st 13, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default 5DIII and infrared

On 2013-07-20 16:19:44 -0700, Robert Coe said:

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:42:54 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

: Close, but if you have a critical eye, not close enough.
: Perhaps with a few extra tweaks you could make it passable.
:
: Here is one of my attempts; The original with CS adjustments, a Silver
: Efex Pro 2 B&W, and bottom right a CS6 fake IR.
: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_258.jpg

None of the three look particularly IR-like to me. But the CS6 fake,
while
clearly the worst rendition of the subject, strikes me as the most
IR-like.

But I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Was any of the three taken with
an IR
filter? Had the camera undergone IR conversion?

Bob.

Only the fake IR (bottom right) was meant to resemble an IR, and faux-IR
isn't a replacement for the real thing. It is just the Adobe allegation
that it can be done to to some images to fake it. So for me this was
just an exercise. Not a particularly successful exercise, but an exercise.

There was only one capture and that was a plain old vanilla color shot
without any filter. The B&W conversion was just that a B&W conversion,
and not intended to be anything else.
I still feel that if I am going to explore IR photography, paying the
$275 to convert my D70 is going to give me the best results.

But becauseof the focus issue, you might want to give them the lens you
will mostlikely be using. With my P&S it was not an issue.

For the D70, LifePixel uses the standard calibration with the 18-70mm
DX lens, and they don't require it to be sent to them with the body.

http://shop.lifepixel.com/1-Convert-...ervice-p4.html

Here is another site worth looking at.
http://www.infraredphoto.eu/Site/Welcome.html

Savageduck

Old July 21st 13, 05:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 18:39:53 -0700, Savageduck

Old July 21st 13, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I meant to say tell them which lens you will be using.

--
PeterN
Old July 22nd 13, 04:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photo...mw4B9R#!i=1730
614889&k=WGpJLmN&lb=1&s=A

It depends on the sun and the clouds. Note how the trees change from
black to white as the clouds move in this 10 second quicktime infrared
time-lapse movie (the change occurs at the 5-second point):

http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/clch/clch.mov

Also, it is difficult to get decent infrared photos when you need 30
second exposures. You can get hand-held IR shots with a camera without
an IR filter. Try holding the filter in front of your cell-phone camera.

My IR page:
http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

--
m-m
Photo Gallery:
Old July 22nd 13, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
M-M

Reposting because the original quote was omitted. Sorry:

In article ,
PeterN wrote:

Something is missing. Infrared is supposed to have quite a different
look.