Stupidest, most overpriced, most poorly executed camera in the last two years

Old May 17th 13, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Stupidest, most overpriced, most poorly executed camera in the last two years

On Thu, 16 May 2013 09:52:02 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And no LCD lets you focus with the accuracy of the old ground-glass
view finders in the SLR of 15 or more years ago. Neither can a DSLR
offer the same certainty.

oh yes they can, with focus confirmation,

.... confirming focus on what?

focus peaking

... that might be useful but I have no experience of it.

or just zooming into the image 100%, and at lower light levels too.

... while all the time you are trying to frame the image as well as
focus.

or let the camera do the focusing, which can do a better job and faster.

... then you are relying on the camera's opinion of what needs to be
in focus.

My D300 has the ability to play all kinds of tricks with focus and
focus points but these all take time.

Eric Stevens
Old May 17th 13, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And no LCD lets you focus with the accuracy of the old ground-glass
view finders in the SLR of 15 or more years ago. Neither can a DSLR
offer the same certainty.

oh yes they can, with focus confirmation,

... confirming focus on what?

whatever you want.

focus peaking

... that might be useful but I have no experience of it.

it's very useful.

or just zooming into the image 100%, and at lower light levels too.

... while all the time you are trying to frame the image as well as
focus.

it's hard to focus if you keep moving the camera around, and in some
cases, it will change the focus.

or let the camera do the focusing, which can do a better job and faster.

... then you are relying on the camera's opinion of what needs to be
in focus.

only if you don't know what you're doing.

My D300 has the ability to play all kinds of tricks with focus and
focus points but these all take time.

depends what tricks you want it to do.

pick one focus point, put it on your subject and focus until you get
confirmation. some cameras even beep.

it's no different than putting the split-image or microprism part of a
focusing screen on your target and focusing, except for being less
accurate than had you used focus confirmation.
Old May 17th 13, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I took the plunge about 2 months ago and bought An EOS 60d (my 350d is
rather old and the batteries are on the blink.

Because the 60d has interchangeable focusing screen I also invested in a
Katzeye rangefinder screen. Even at my age (80) it was easy to change and
went in centrally first time.

I have an old 500mm mirror lens and could even focus that using the main
body of the focusing screen.

why not use the camera's focus confirmation?

Don't trust it.

it's more accurate than you are, and in much lower light too.

Don't know what it thinks it's confirming focus on.

whatever is under the selected focus point.
Old May 17th 13, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

On Thu, 16 May 2013 09:52:04 -0400, nospam wrote:

In article , Neil Ellwood
wrote:

I took the plunge about 2 months ago and bought An EOS 60d (my 350d is
rather old and the batteries are on the blink.

Because the 60d has interchangeable focusing screen I also invested in
a Katzeye rangefinder screen. Even at my age (80) it was easy to change
and went in centrally first time.

I have an old 500mm mirror lens and could even focus that using the
main body of the focusing screen.

why not use the camera's focus confirmation?

You didn't actually read , did you?

The lens is OLD and only has manual focusing. No focus confirmation in the
camera because of that.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’
Old May 17th 13, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Neil Ellwood
wrote:

I took the plunge about 2 months ago and bought An EOS 60d (my 350d is
rather old and the batteries are on the blink.

Because the 60d has interchangeable focusing screen I also invested in
a Katzeye rangefinder screen. Even at my age (80) it was easy to change
and went in centrally first time.

I have an old 500mm mirror lens and could even focus that using the
main body of the focusing screen.

why not use the camera's focus confirmation?

You didn't actually read , did you?

The lens is OLD and only has manual focusing. No focus confirmation in the
camera because of that.

completely wrong.

the autofocus system is still active, regardless of which lens. using a
manual focus lens just means the user has to manually turn the focus
ring.

focus confirmation means that when the subject is in focus, an led will
light and/or the camera will beep, indicating that the user should stop
turning the focus ring.
Old May 17th 13, 01:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

On Friday, May 17, 2013 5:46:31 AM UTC+1, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens

wrote:

And no LCD lets you focus with the accuracy of the old ground-glass

view finders in the SLR of 15 or more years ago. Neither can a DSLR

offer the same certainty.

oh yes they can, with focus confirmation,

... confirming focus on what?

whatever you want.

I thought it was what the camera was currently aimed at.

It is currently aimed at a diamond ring. Do you want the focus on the
front facet of the diamond, the widest point of the stone, the points of
the setting, or what?

The benefit of the LCD from my viewpoint is that you can zoom in on the
point that you want to be in focus and adjust until it's sharp. It
serves the same function as an eyepiece magnifier but you can move the
point you are looking at around instead of just being able to look at
the center of the finder.

focus peaking

... that might be useful but I have no experience of it.

it's very useful.

or just zooming into the image 100%, and at lower light levels too.

... while all the time you are trying to frame the image as well as

focus.

it's hard to focus if you keep moving the camera around, and in some

cases, it will change the focus.

Which is a pain if your subject actually moves quickely.

or let the camera do the focusing, which can do a better job and faster.

... then you are relying on the camera's opinion of what needs to be

in focus.

only if you don't know what you're doing.

Must be why they invented autofocus because peole donl;t know what they want in focus.

My D300 has the ability to play all kinds of tricks with focus and

focus points but these all take time.

depends what tricks you want it to do.

I'd just want it to focus on what I wanted in focus.

pick one focus point, put it on your subject and focus until you get

confirmation. some cameras even beep.

By the time that happens the shot over.

it's no different than putting the split-image or microprism part of a

focusing screen on your target and focusing, except for being less

accurate than had you used focus confirmation.

When I did that the lens remained at the same focus until I changed it, it didn't vary depending on what the camera was pointing at.

I used to use my eye for focus confirmation, those were the days

I gave up on "focus confirmation"--too many blurry shots that "focus
confirmation" told me were supposed to be sharp. Might work OK for
snapshots but not for anything critical.

Old May 17th 13, 01:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article , cral.elllwood2
@btopenworld.com says...

wrote:

I took the plunge about 2 months ago and bought An EOS 60d (my 350d is
rather old and the batteries are on the blink.

Because the 60d has interchangeable focusing screen I also invested in
a Katzeye rangefinder screen. Even at my age (80) it was easy to change
and went in centrally first time.

I have an old 500mm mirror lens and could even focus that using the
main body of the focusing screen.

why not use the camera's focus confirmation?

You didn't actually read , did you?

The lens is OLD and only has manual focusing. No focus confirmation in the
camera because of that.

I can see why there would be no autofocus, but why would there be no
focus confirmation?
Old May 17th 13, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

And no LCD lets you focus with the accuracy of the old ground-glass
view finders in the SLR of 15 or more years ago. Neither can a DSLR
offer the same certainty.

oh yes they can, with focus confirmation,

... confirming focus on what?

whatever you want.

I thought it was what the camera was currently aimed at.

it's whatever is at the selected focus point(s).

... while all the time you are trying to frame the image as well as
focus.

it's hard to focus if you keep moving the camera around, and in some
cases, it will change the focus.

Which is a pain if your subject actually moves quickely.

that's why autofocus works better. the camera is faster than a human
and can track moving subjects, even while you fire off multiple shots.

pick one focus point, put it on your subject and focus until you get
confirmation. some cameras even beep.

By the time that happens the shot over.

depends on the subject, but if the shot is over with that, it certainly
will be over using any other method of manual focus.

it's no different than putting the split-image or microprism part of a
focusing screen on your target and focusing, except for being less
accurate than had you used focus confirmation.

When I did that the lens remained at the same focus until I changed it, it
didn't vary depending on what the camera was pointing at.

it still does. autofocus doesn't mean continuous focus, unless you want
that functionality.

I used to use my eye for focus confirmation, those were the days

only because there was no other option. now there is.
Old May 17th 13, 03:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke[_2_]

In article ,
says...

wrote:

And no LCD lets you focus with the accuracy of the old ground-glass

view finders in the SLR of 15 or more years ago. Neither can a DSLR

offer the same certainty.

oh yes they can, with focus confirmation,

... confirming focus on what?

whatever you want.

I thought it was what the camera was currently aimed at.

It is currently aimed at a diamond ring. Do you want the focus on the

front facet of the diamond, the widest point of the stone, the points of

the setting, or what?

That would depend on why I'm taking the photo and I'd know that before picking up the camera.

So it depends on more than "what the camera was currently aimed at",
doesn't it.

The benefit of the LCD from my viewpoint is that you can zoom in on the

point that you want to be in focus and adjust until it's sharp.

I thought you said the camera focuses ....

You have me confused with someone else.

It

serves the same function as an eyepiece magnifier but you can move the

point you are looking at around instead of just being able to look at

the center of the finder.

I use to move my eyeball, I had the ability of being able to focus on any part of the screen at will.

You've never used an eyepiece magnifier, have you?

snip
When I did that the lens remained at the same focus until I changed it, it didn't vary depending on what the camera was pointing at.

I used to use my eye for focus confirmation, those were the days

I gave up on "focus confirmation"--too many blurry shots that "focus

confirmation" told me were supposed to be sharp. Might work OK for

snapshots but not for anything critical.

Yes I agree nothing confims that somethiung is in focus than it being in focus, a beeb could me my microwave curries ready ;-)

Old May 17th 13, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-05-17 03:02:12 -0700, Whisky-dave said:

On Friday, May 17, 2013 5:46:31 AM UTC+1, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens

Le Snip

it's hard to focus if you keep moving the camera around, and in some
cases, it will change the focus.

On most DSLRs, including the D300s both of us use, have a little button
labeled "AF lock".

Which is a pain if your subject actually moves quickely.

My D300S has "CF" mode or constant focus, a menu setting for "Focus
tracking with lock on", "Dynamic AF area"; 3D Tracking, all of these
features have proven to be very useful for me at sporting events, motor
sport events, and air shows.

Savageduck