T2i Remote Shutter Question

Old August 12th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark Anderson

Default T2i Remote Shutter Question

I just bought the Canon T2i and have been trying to figure everything
out. For the most part the ergonomics of this camera resembles all the
other Canon cameras I bought over the last few decades. My last digital
was a Canon G1 and with that camera you could control it remotely from a
PC where you could set the camera up on a tripod and take a picture
every x seconds where the user defined x. That means you could take a
picture of a spot once every minute or so and then recombobulate all the
pics in some kind of animation program. I found the remote shutter area
on the PC but can't find anywhere where I can define it to trigger every
x seconds. I'd like to be able to do that without using a PC as well.

After going through the manual I can't find this anywhere. Is there
another way, maybe third party software, that will do this?
Old August 12th 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:47:44 -0600, Mark Anderson
wrote:

I just bought the Canon T2i and have been trying to figure everything
out. For the most part the ergonomics of this camera resembles all the
other Canon cameras I bought over the last few decades. My last digital
was a Canon G1 and with that camera you could control it remotely from a
PC where you could set the camera up on a tripod and take a picture
every x seconds where the user defined x. That means you could take a
picture of a spot once every minute or so and then recombobulate all the
pics in some kind of animation program. I found the remote shutter area
on the PC but can't find anywhere where I can define it to trigger every
x seconds. I'd like to be able to do that without using a PC as well.

After going through the manual I can't find this anywhere. Is there
another way, maybe third party software, that will do this?

There is a discussion about this at:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...apse-550d.html

Also I believe the software that comes with the T2i will do this, but
you need to be tethered to a computer for that to work.
Old August 12th 10, 07:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ofnuts

On 12/08/2010 02:47, Mark Anderson wrote:
I just bought the Canon T2i and have been trying to figure everything
out. For the most part the ergonomics of this camera resembles all the
other Canon cameras I bought over the last few decades. My last digital
was a Canon G1 and with that camera you could control it remotely from a
PC where you could set the camera up on a tripod and take a picture
every x seconds where the user defined x. That means you could take a
picture of a spot once every minute or so and then recombobulate all the
pics in some kind of animation program. I found the remote shutter area
on the PC but can't find anywhere where I can define it to trigger every
x seconds. I'd like to be able to do that without using a PC as well.

After going through the manual I can't find this anywhere. Is there
another way, maybe third party software, that will do this?

On the "EOS utilility" display, there is a small clock icon on the right
below the speed/aperture/iso display...

There are also wire remotes with a timer function.

--
Bertrand
Old August 12th 10, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ofnuts

On 12/08/2010 21:19, Mark Anderson wrote:
In article says...
On the "EOS utilility" display, there is a small clock icon on the right
below the speed/aperture/iso display...

Thanks for he info. I eventually did find the clock and am happy to see
it there.

There are also wire remotes with a timer function.

I did do some googling and found some of these and will probably buy one
since I don't want to lug my laptop around with the camera just to do
time lapse photography.

BTW: So far the camera is fantastic. I found one thing funny however.
They don't have the panoramic feature, like on my G1, where the camera
kind of guides you through the process of making panoramics making it
easier to line up the edges so that Photostich can put them together
better. I talked with one of my neighbors who works at a photo store
and she said the the G11 still has that feature. When I asked her why
they would take that out of the T2i she said that that feature would be
insulting to the photographers using the T2i since they can line up
their own panoramics by sight alone LOL.

I do panoramas with my 450D and I don't miss these that much. I use the
AF point markers in the viewfinder as reference spots and horizontal
indicators. Current software (I use Hugin) will auto-correct many
things. And people with SLRs who need better than amateur-quality panos
will use a panoramic head to rotate the camera around the lens nodal
point, and such heads have aids for accurate stepping (when they aren't
completely motor-driven).

--
Bertrand
Old August 13th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
J. Clarke

On 8/12/2010 4:33 PM, Ofnuts wrote:
[...]

Just a comment with regard to the wired remote with timer. The Canon
TC80N3 costs over 150 bucks and requires an adapter to work with the
T2i. http://www.dealextreme.com sells one that as near as I can tell
comparing them side by side is identical (except theirs is labeled
"Yongnuo") to the Canon for 35, and theirs can be ordered with the
correct plug to plug right into the T2i.
Old October 7th 10, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ross

In article ,
Mark Anderson wrote:

I just bought the Canon T2i and have been trying to figure everything
out. For the most part the ergonomics of this camera resembles all the
other Canon cameras I bought over the last few decades. My last digital
was a Canon G1 and with that camera you could control it remotely from a
PC where you could set the camera up on a tripod and take a picture
every x seconds where the user defined x. That means you could take a
picture of a spot once every minute or so and then recombobulate all the
pics in some kind of animation program. I found the remote shutter area
on the PC but can't find anywhere where I can define it to trigger every
x seconds. I'd like to be able to do that without using a PC as well.

After going through the manual I can't find this anywhere. Is there
another way, maybe third party software, that will do this?

A third party device listed on the Phottix site does this - looks a neat
unit and there is a link to a review as well

David - who wants to buy one
Old October 7th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Richard[_5_]

"David Ross" wrote in message
Mark Anderson wrote:

[...]

If the TC 80N3 fits your camera, it'll keep you happy.
http://www.pixalo.com/community/came...ller-1856.html

Old October 7th 10, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ofnuts

On 07/10/2010 15:33, Richard wrote:
"David wrote in message
In asy.net,
Mark wrote:

[...]

Won't fit. The T2I uses the E3 socket. But both have three contacts and
there are simple converters. The E3 connector is just a standard 2.5mm
stereo jack so it's also quite easy to replace the N3 plug with an E3
for anyone who can use a soldering iron.

--
Bertrand