Olympus launches micro 4/3 camera

Old June 18th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default Olympus launches micro 4/3 camera

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 00:08:50 +0000, SamSez wrote:

Alfred Molon wrote in
:

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consum...p=912222#intro

Thanks to all the responders who don't know how to control their audio
for turning this useful heads-up into yet another example of how usenet
has been ruined by idiots.

Actually, that's pretty much precisely my point (... run by idiots). The
referenced page does not even give any basic information about the
camera. There is a bunch of irritating elevator muzak and some
meaningless text that fades in and out. Nowhere on the page is there any
link to any meaningful information about what the camera DOES. It's total
glitz with no meaningful content.
Old June 18th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"John Navas" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:40:02 +0100, "whisky-dave"
wrote in h1dcnv$n1n$1@qmul:

"John Navas" wrote in message
. ..

A sad commentary on those people. Regardless, this isn't a general
website like Google, and the marketing people may simply not be
interested in those who will click away after only 15 seconds, focusing
instead on those who want the full experience. It's called "focusing on
the target market" and "qualifying the prospect".

That's admin speak for I'm clueless on how to attract possible customers
the
site but pay me anyway for a job I can't do, and I'll come up with some
fancy
words that can descibe a steaming pile of dog turd as art that's worthy of
the turner prize.

I suspect the web designer (not admin) was following the instructions of
the marketing department.

Probably, but whoever is in charge of advertising should know what they are
doing.
perhaps the web designer was a friend of the family or something.
I'm assuming it's admin who decided it'd be a good idea to add the sounds,
as the marketing department should know better, but the web Ds could have
told them it's not usually a good idea to include such a thing.
But who's ever in charge it looks bad for Olympus and that's a shame
and people may well judge the product by the way it's advertised.
Advertising and image are very important in getting a message across
get that wrong and your product might not sell as well as it should.
Then again getting advertising 'right' might mean selling more of your
product
than it deserves. i.e telling people that owning a limp-puss will improve
your sex life :-)

Old June 18th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:29:39 -0700, John Navas wrote:

On 18 Jun 2009 15:46:56 GMT, ray wrote in
:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 00:08:50 +0000, SamSez wrote:

Alfred Molon wrote in
:

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consum...p=912222#intro

Thanks to all the responders who don't know how to control their audio
for turning this useful heads-up into yet another example of how
usenet has been ruined by idiots.

Actually, that's pretty much precisely my point (... run by idiots). The
referenced page does not even give any basic information about the
camera. There is a bunch of irritating elevator muzak and some
meaningless text that fades in and out. Nowhere on the page is there any
link to any meaningful information about what the camera DOES. It's
total glitz with no meaningful content.

The Olympus America web page for the E-P1 is
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...gital_slr.asp?

section=pen
Learn More takes you to
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1461

Happy now?

[sheesh]

A much more informative link. I wonder why that wasn't posted originally.
Old June 18th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:36:14 -0700, John Navas wrote:

On 18 Jun 2009 15:30:46 GMT, ray wrote in
:

That is one great web page. I just spent 5 minutes poking around the
damned thing and I still cannot find any specs on the camera. Just that
it's "SLR quality but it's not an SLR". No information on resolution,
ISO settings, what interchangeable lenses might be available - in short,
no useful information that I can find anywhere on the page. But it does
have annoying musak that is worse than most elevator musak. And the text
on the page fades in and out. Whoopdy doo!

[sigh]

The Olympus America web page for the E-P1 is
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...gital_slr.asp?

section=pen
Learn More takes you to
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1461

Happy now?

[sheesh]

Much more informative. That's what should have been posted in the first
place!!

Old June 18th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:17:48 -0700, John Navas wrote:

On 18 Jun 2009 17:11:17 GMT, ray wrote in
:

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:29:39 -0700, John Navas wrote:

The Olympus America web page for the E-P1 is
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...gital_slr.asp?

section=pen
Learn More takes you to
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1461

Happy now?

[sheesh]

A much more informative link. I wonder why that wasn't posted
originally.

I wonder why people didn't look instead of ragging on Olympus. Wasn't
hard to find. Took me all of about 10 seconds.

Well, I sort of figured that a post in a PHOTO group would lead me to
some information about the camera. Guess I was wrong.
Old June 19th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
whisky-dave

"John Navas" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:01:29 +0100, "whisky-dave"
wrote in h1dohn$qrq$1@qmul:

"John Navas" wrote in message
. ..

I suspect the web designer (not admin) was following the instructions of
the marketing department.

Probably, but whoever is in charge of advertising should know what they
are
doing.
perhaps the web designer was a friend of the family or something.

Not likely in a company the size of Olympus.

Why's that ?
I bet yuo';d be suprised at how advantages it came be to employ your friends
and family.

I'm assuming it's admin who decided it'd be a good idea to add the sounds,

I think that unlikely.

Then I wonder who else would come up with such an idea.
Someone must have. Maybe Olympus did ask for such a thing.

as the marketing department should know better, but the web Ds could have
told them it's not usually a good idea to include such a thing.
But who's ever in charge it looks bad for Olympus ...

It's really a non-issue except for the few making a mountain out of a
molehill.

Sometimes you need Macro photography, but then advertising is
mountains of people. A very small proportion of visits to most websites
result in a sale. Which is how google makes so much money even if only 0.01%
click on the link, the last thing a company wants to to upset the viewer.

One of my videos is being used as an ad. :-)
http://www.petporte.com/news/index.htm#110609

yes mine has music as I think it goes well with the video, and the track
isn't too
harsh to listen to and it can be turned down quite easily if required.

Old June 20th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default Olympus launches micro 4/3 camera - Web site warning

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , J. Clarke says...

So you're saying that there is some kind of psychological correlation
between tolerating gratuitious noise from a web site and buying a micro 4/3
camera?

Don't know. But I can tell you that I wasn't put off by the music on the
site and find the camera interesting. Perhaps a correlation?

By the way, I bought an Olympus E420 for my wife, because with her
compact she has problems capturing our kids. Despite the E420 being the
smallest and lightest DSLR currently on the market, my wife refuses to
use it and prefers to use her compact camera. Perhaps my wife might be
interested in the E-P1.

The E-P1 looks interesting, though the fact that an EVF is an optional
accessory, and an optical viewfinder for the 17mm lens needs to be
attached to the hot shoe, shows that they still just don't get it.

Praise g-d that they're not using XD memory cards.

I wonder how the AF time will be. Will it suck like all other non-SLR
digital cameras?

Old June 21st 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , SMS says...

The E-P1 looks interesting, though the fact that an EVF is an optional
accessory, and an optical viewfinder for the 17mm lens needs to be
attached to the hot shoe, shows that they still just don't get it.

The optional viewfinder, which can be attached on top of the camera is
optical.

I thought they were going to have a hot shoe EVF similar to what Ricoh
did, but apparently not. The optical viewfinder only works with the
prime lens.

Probably the next rev of the E-P1 will correct the deficiencies. On
smaller cameras I'm especially careful to never get one without an
optical or electronic VF since I take them backpacking where I want to
conserve the battery (as well as being able to hold the camera properly).