Inkjets

Old June 18th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams

Default Inkjets

"ransley" wrote in message

How often should a printer left idle be made to print a photo to keep
the heads clean-working, are the jets in the cartrige, so if they clog
you just buy a new ink cartrige? Ive idled mine for months and printed
fine the other day, I was just wondering what is a safe time frame for
an idle period.

Depends on the make.

To test it, you don't print a photo, that would waste ink. Most have a test page
- maybe on the utilities tab on the print dialogue box - otherwise just draw some
different coloured lines or small circles in a DTP program and print those out.

In most brands HP for certain, the jets are in cartridge. This makes cartridges
more expensive but easier to clean, and blocked jets aren't the end of the world.
Just but a new cartridge if cleaning fails. Some cartridges are chipped but others
can be refilled - there's even a market in empty HP cartridges on eBay.

One exception is Epson. They use a different technology with piezo electric
jets - the others work on heat or something - which are in the printer
and if the jets get blocked and the inbuilt cleaning routine won't work
then you're into witchcraft and gizmos. Including cleaning cartridges
or doing it yourself with Windex, ammonia, sponges etc. Keeping the thing
working can be a hobby in itself.

I own both a HP and an Epson.

I'm not sure about Lexmark or Canon but the info should be on the web. Epson are
the only ones using piezo electric I'm sure of that.

Another point with cartridges is that drying out and cleaning may be dependent
on the type of ink being used in the cartridge. For the same printer you can get
cartridges using both pigment and dye based inks. Something like that.
Some are more fade proof than others.

michael adams

Old June 22nd 09, 09:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

michael adams wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

edited for brevity

Hello, Michael:

Your remarks, eerily echo my personal experiences (i.e., having owned, both a
trouble-free Hewlett-Packard "Photosmart D7160" and an infernal predecessor,
the Epson "Stylus Photo 825").

Cordially,
John Turco
Old June 22nd 09, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Willie Stroker

John Turco wrote:
michael adams wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

Certainly HP make some interesting printers but by and by Epson make the
most professional printers. I own both Epson and HP wide format
printers. The HP costs roughly 45% of what the Epson costs to run but
it's dye inks require speciality paper not easily found in Australia.

The Epson's cost of running comes down when you use 3rd part inks and
their real value is in the variety of materials they can print on.

My next wide format printer will also be an Epson because whilst HP are
interesting, the lack of service from HP in providing a continuous
supply of their papers and canvas is definitely going to sink them long
term. It's like a good product let down by poor service.

--
With age come a new ability ...multi-tasking.
I can laugh, cough, sneeze, fart and pee all at the same time!
Old June 26th 09, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Willie Stroker wrote:

heavily edited for brevity

Certainly HP make some interesting printers but by and by Epson make the
most professional printers. I own both Epson and HP wide format
printers. The HP costs roughly 45% of what the Epson costs to run but
it's dye inks require speciality paper not easily found in Australia.

The Epson's cost of running comes down when you use 3rd part inks and
their real value is in the variety of materials they can print on.

My next wide format printer will also be an Epson because whilst HP are
interesting, the lack of service from HP in providing a continuous
supply of their papers and canvas is definitely going to sink them long
term. It's like a good product let down by poor service.

Hello, Willie:

I'm through with Epson, forever! Never, again, will I buy any of that
company's overrated products.

With age come a new ability ...multi-tasking.
I can laugh, cough, sneeze, fart and pee all at the same time!

No comment. g

Cordially,
John Turco

Inkjets daveFaktor Digital Photography 3 June 19th 09 04:05 PM
A question about exhibition paper for inkjets. Eatmorepies Digital Photography 2 October 14th 05 02:02 PM