Sony: re-launch same DSLR, different name for idiots

Old May 17th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bertram Paul

Default Sony: re-launch same DSLR, different name for idiots

Seems Sony stays lazy and more or less re-launches the A200, 300 and 350
with a "starter" menu.
As if the older ones were so difficult?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/40522.html

Tomorrow more news, but if this is all, I fear for the job of the idiot who
came up with this crap.

I know a good name for the SLR's: Sony Simple SLR

--
---
Bertram Paul

Old May 17th 09, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ofnuts

Bertram Paul wrote:
Seems Sony stays lazy and more or less re-launches the A200, 300 and 350
with a "starter" menu.
As if the older ones were so difficult?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/40522.html

Tomorrow more news, but if this is all, I fear for the job of the idiot who
came up with this crap.

I know a good name for the SLR's: Sony Simple SLR

How about Sony for Dummies?

--
Bertrand
Old May 17th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Spanjaard

On Sun, 17 May 2009 22:38:37 +0100, Bertram Paul wrote:

Seems Sony stays lazy and more or less re-launches the A200, 300 and 350
with a "starter" menu.
As if the older ones were so difficult?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/40522.html

Tomorrow more news, but if this is all, I fear for the job of the idiot
who came up with this crap.

I know a good name for the SLR's: Sony Simple SLR

They already have (had?) the My First Sony brand. No need to come up with
a new name.

We'll see. The press release promises more enhancements. It would be quite
idiotic to blame a company for enhancing their products, wouldn't it?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old May 17th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

"Bertram Paul" wrote:
Seems Sony stays lazy and more or less re-launches the A200, 300 and 350
with a "starter" menu.
As if the older ones were so difficult?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/40522.html

Tomorrow more news, but if this is all, I fear for the job of the idiot who
came up with this crap.

Crap it is. Desperate companies have no option but to go downmarket.

Serious DSLR buyers don't buy Sony because, with the exception of the
Alpha 900, they can get far better equipment from Canon and Nikon for
not much more money.

Attacking the first-time DSLR buyers' market is difficult, because Canon
and Nikon already have most of it sewn up, with Olympus and Pentax
competing with the crumbs from the masters' table.

It seems that Sony is making exactly the same mistakes as Minolta did
before them, with insufficient investment in R&D, the recycling of tired
old products into something that is claimed to be new, but isn't, and a
range of lenses that continues to be inadequate.

Sony has further compounded Minolta's errors in that the lens range now
consists of two entirely separate brands (Carl Zeiss and Sony/Minolta).
Yet it still doesn't cover the whole range of demands from the prosumer
market, leaving the few advanced Sony Alpha users very little to trade
up to.

It's hopeless.

Old May 17th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"Ofnuts" wrote in message
Bertram Paul wrote:
Seems Sony stays lazy and more or less re-launches the A200, 300 and 350
with a "starter" menu.
As if the older ones were so difficult?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/40522.html

Tomorrow more news, but if this is all, I fear for the job of the idiot
who came up with this crap.

I know a good name for the SLR's: Sony Simple SLR

How about Sony for Dummies?

--
Bertrand

They were always that.....

Old May 17th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Bertram Paul wrote:
Seems Sony stays lazy and more or less re-launches the A200, 300 and 350
with a "starter" menu.
As if the older ones were so difficult?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/40522.html

Those cameras are most often bought by casual photographers with little
deep knowledge of photography. What's wrong with Sony making them
easier to use for people who use their cameras less often?

I thought that the display:
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/200...pha_screen.jpg
Would be an excellent guide for those who have trouble remembering DOF
effect.

And the overlay preview metering matrix:
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/200...a_metering.jpg
was something I suggested for the a900 before it came out (based on a
similar display on the Maxxum 7 film camera).

Just tell us Bertram, is it simply Sony-hate or something else?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 17th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Robert Spanjaard wrote:
On Sun, 17 May 2009 22:38:37 +0100, Bertram Paul wrote:

Seems Sony stays lazy and more or less re-launches the A200, 300 and 350
with a "starter" menu.
As if the older ones were so difficult?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/40522.html

Tomorrow more news, but if this is all, I fear for the job of the idiot
who came up with this crap.

I know a good name for the SLR's: Sony Simple SLR

They already have (had?) the My First Sony brand. No need to come up with
a new name.

We'll see. The press release promises more enhancements. It would be quite
idiotic to blame a company for enhancing their products, wouldn't it?

Methinks Bertram had a little bee named Sony up his kazoo.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 17th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Bruce wrote:
"Bertram Paul" wrote:
[...]

Sorry Paul, the chief Sony basher has now arrived, go to the back of the
line.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 18th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Pete D wrote:
"Ofnuts" wrote in message
Bertram Paul wrote:
Seems Sony stays lazy and more or less re-launches the A200, 300 and 350
with a "starter" menu.
As if the older ones were so difficult?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/40522.html

Tomorrow more news, but if this is all, I fear for the job of the idiot
who came up with this crap.

I know a good name for the SLR's: Sony Simple SLR

How about Sony for Dummies?

--
Bertrand

They were always that.....

I guess that explains how rapidly they've been able to grow their
share of the DSLR market. As H.L. Mencken so sagely observed, nobody
ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American
public.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old May 18th 09, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Sun, 17 May 2009 22:38:37 +0100, "Bertram Paul" wrote:

Seems Sony stays lazy and more or less re-launches the A200, 300 and 350
with a "starter" menu.
As if the older ones were so difficult?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/40522.html

Tomorrow more news, but if this is all, I fear for the job of the idiot who
came up with this crap.

I know a good name for the SLR's: Sony Simple SLR

I always thought the alpha 100 menus were the simplest in any camera I've seen,
if you need it more simple, you have the wrong camera... get a better cell
phone...

That being said, check out the Nikon D60, with it's simple graphic menu aids. I
tend to ignore the cartoons, but some people might find them useful. Sony is
just following a trend.

As for making things easier for simple people, there are a hell of a lot of
simple people around!