how do I develop a photo????? PLEEEEEZ HELP!?

Old August 26th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ron Manfredi

Default how do I develop a photo????? PLEEEEEZ HELP!?

max wrote:
hey guys, thanks for the help. but one more question, i probably should
have asked this alot earlyer. how long should i let the photo expose in
the camera before shutting it and taking it to the darkroom?
p.s. i'm using a quaker oatmealbox & 5x7 photo paper resin coated i
think.
thanx

Depends on the size of the "pinhole". You might try something around
8-10 seconds as a start if it is a very bright sunny day. Remember that
to see a change in exposure, you will have to double or halve the
exposure time. So, you might want to try 10, 20 and 40 second
exposures, and then develop all of them at the same time. You can write
on the back of the photo paper with a pen (sharpie) to keep records.
(remember to do this under safelights!) Hold the camera as steady as
possible.

Ron

Old August 26th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

max wrote:
hey guys, thanks for the help. but one more question, i probably should
have asked this alot earlyer. how long should i let the photo expose in
the camera before shutting it and taking it to the darkroom?
p.s. i'm using a quaker oatmealbox & 5x7 photo paper resin coated i
think.
thanx

You'll have to experiment in any case.

IIRC, a pinhole is somewhere on the order of f/128 (depending on the
size of the hole & the size of the box).

Photographic paper is somewhere around 8 iso.

If those values are accurate, that should give you about 8 seconds on a
sunny day.

I'd try 2, 8 and 30 seconds.

For the test, you might want to photograph something with mid tones
(that will turn out medium grey in the final print) so you can see
middle gray also on your paper negative.

Old August 26th 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

Chris Loffredo wrote:
max wrote:
hey guys, thanks for the help. but one more question, i probably should
have asked this alot earlyer. how long should i let the photo expose in
the camera before shutting it and taking it to the darkroom?
p.s. i'm using a quaker oatmealbox & 5x7 photo paper resin coated i
think.
thanx

You'll have to experiment in any case.

IIRC, a pinhole is somewhere on the order of f/128 (depending on the
size of the hole & the size of the box).

Photographic paper is somewhere around 8 iso.

If those values are accurate, that should give you about 8 seconds on a
sunny day.

I'd try 2, 8 and 30 seconds.

For the test, you might want to photograph something with mid tones
(that will turn out medium grey in the final print) so you can see
middle gray also on your paper negative.

BTW: It seems that if you make the hole in aluminium foil, it will be
sharper than in cardboard.
Cut a larger hole in your box where you want your pinhole, glue alu foil
over it and make the hole in the foil.

Have fun!
Old September 10th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
darkroommike

A little off topic, but, why not find or buy at a thrift shop an old
Polaroid camera that will use Type 107/667 film, saw off the whole
camera just ahead of the film pack and mate it to your pinhole box
camera, now you have a pinhole camera using a very fast film (ISO 3000)
that develops in 15 seconds?

darkroommike

no_name wrote:
ShibbyShane wrote:

wrote:

HI, i made a pinhole camera for a school project, but i dont know how
to develop the film. i cant ask my teacher, and there are no books in
any of the librarys. the paper came with directions, but i dont
understand them at all. the paper is ILFORD MGV MULTIGRADE IV RC
DELUXE. Pleeeeeeezzzzzz help me, i have to know before school starts!

Do you have to develop the film yourself? If you don't then just take
it to a film processor. If you do then go to your school's photo lab
and ask someone there.. the process is different for black and white
and color film, and I don't feel like going through it all.

sounds like he's exposed photographic paper as his negative. Maybe this
will help.

http://photography.about.com/cs/tech...W_Printing.htm

If you don't have the chemicals, here's a possible substitute

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-coffee.html