ARCHIVAL CDs - 300 YEARS LIFE!

Old August 22nd 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bandicoot

Default ARCHIVAL CDs - 300 YEARS LIFE!

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
[SNIP]

Ouch! It has been a bit over ten years now since I retired from
the Army (as a civilian). I wonder about the economics of that. Of
course, we used to photocopy standard forms whenever we got low,
so this may make just as much sense.

I once did a study for a bank on whether, when forms were running low, it
was more cost effective for employees to print more, or to photocopy. I
can't remember now which one won, just that it was unbelievably close. I
didn't suggest to them the logical followup question of how long, if they
implemented the saving of mandating that it be done the cheaper way, it
would take them to recover the cost of the initial study...

Peter

Old August 22nd 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
no_name

On 2006-08-17 19:12:35 -0400, ColinD said:

Well, the CD versus negative storage longevity arguments are now put
to rest. Kodak have announced their new Gold Preservation CDs and DVDs.

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and
triple-layer protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300
years, and the DVDs 80 - 100 years.

Check:

http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html

Colin D.

And will I have any device capable of reading these in 300 years? I
think not!

I'm less worried about having a device to read 'em in 300 years than in
being around then to use the device. ;-D

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

John
Old August 22nd 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Greg \_\

On 2006-08-17 19:12:35 -0400, ColinD said:

Well, the CD versus negative storage longevity arguments are now put to
rest. Kodak have announced their new Gold Preservation CDs and DVDs.

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and triple-layer
protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300 years, and the DVDs
80 - 100 years.

Check:

http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html

Colin D.

And will I have any device capable of reading these in 300 years? I
think not!

300 years into the future who knows, technology could very well be vastly
superior and able to decipher all kinds of stuff. Then again mankind may
just cease to exist sooner then that time, so what will it matter?
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old August 22nd 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Greg \_\

In article ,
no_name wrote:

I'm less worried about having a device to read 'em in 300 years than in
being around then to use the device. ;-D

Technology will be so superior by that time we might be willing to bring
you back for laughs.

Old August 22nd 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ian

On 2006-08-17 19:12:35 -0400, ColinD said:

Well, the CD versus negative storage longevity arguments are now put to
rest. Kodak have announced their new Gold Preservation CDs and DVDs.

Using pure gold reflective layers, phthalocyanine dye, and triple-layer
protection, they say the useful life of a CD is 300 years, and the DVDs
80 - 100 years.

Check:

http://www.kmpmedia.com/kodak-gold.html

Colin D.

And will I have any device capable of reading these in 300 years? I
think not!

300 years into the future who knows, technology could very well be vastly
superior and able to decipher all kinds of stuff. Then again mankind may
just cease to exist sooner then that time, so what will it matter?

In 300 years time after the "great burn" technology will be outlawed as the
root of all evil.We will go back to living with the plough and the sword.

"we live for the one
we die for the one"

Old August 22nd 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bandicoot

"ian" wrote in message
k...

"Greg "_"" wrote in message

[SNIP]

300 years into the future who knows, technology could very well be

vastly
superior and able to decipher all kinds of stuff. Then again mankind may
just cease to exist sooner then that time, so what will it matter?

In 300 years time after the "great burn" technology will be outlawed as

the
root of all evil.We will go back to living with the plough and the sword.

Have you read "A Canticle for Leibowitz"?

You should...

Peter

Old August 23rd 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ian

"Bandicoot" wrote in message
"ian" wrote in message
k...

"Greg "_"" wrote in message

[SNIP]

300 years into the future who knows, technology could very well be

vastly
superior and able to decipher all kinds of stuff. Then again mankind
may
just cease to exist sooner then that time, so what will it matter?

In 300 years time after the "great burn" technology will be outlawed as

the
root of all evil.We will go back to living with the plough and the sword.

Have you read "A Canticle for Leibowitz"?

You should...

never heard of it. I was quoting "orac" from an episode of blakes 7 and
deconstructing falling stars from babylon 5.

These days i'm more of a terry pratchett fan. He is a genius.

Old August 23rd 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
no_name

ian wrote:

"Bandicoot" wrote in message

Have you read "A Canticle for Leibowitz"?

You should...

never heard of it.

Look it up. It's worth it.

Old August 23rd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
William Graham

"ian" wrote in message
.uk...

"Bandicoot" wrote in message
"ian" wrote in message
k...

"Greg "_"" wrote in message

[SNIP]

300 years into the future who knows, technology could very well be

vastly
superior and able to decipher all kinds of stuff. Then again mankind
may
just cease to exist sooner then that time, so what will it matter?

In 300 years time after the "great burn" technology will be outlawed as

the
root of all evil.We will go back to living with the plough and the
sword.

Sorry, but you can't make ploughs and swords without technology.....A decent
one of either requires a steel mill and Bessemer converter. This is
technology with a capitol "T".....

Old August 23rd 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to ian :

"Bandicoot" wrote in message
"ian" wrote in message

[ ... ]

In 300 years time after the "great burn" technology will be outlawed as

the
root of all evil.We will go back to living with the plough and the sword.

Have you read "A Canticle for Leibowitz"?

You should...

never heard of it. I was quoting "orac" from an episode of blakes 7 and
deconstructing falling stars from babylon 5.

It is an excellent story based on a post-apocalypse world, but
one with the opposite view of technology to that suggested above. I
won't spoil it for you by giving any more details.

These days i'm more of a terry pratchett fan. He is a genius.

I certainly enjoy him -- everything of his which I have so far
found and read -- but he has a very different view (or set of views) of
the world.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564