Catalog

Old August 21st 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Catalog

Hi,

I hope there is someone out there who can help. As a Lions Club pin
trader I am planning to photograph my pin collection one pin at a time
and build a catalog with word or printmaster programs. However when I
take a picture on a pure white piece of paper, even though the image
turns out perfect there is a blue or tan background that is highly
objectionable. How do I eliminate this blue or tan background?

Thanks

Tom

Old August 21st 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George K

Can you provide with more information about how you are shooting your
pictures?

What camera make and model?
So we know if you can set white balance or 18% gray. You can use color
correction filters, close-up lens, close-up flash, etc.

What light source beside the built-in flash?
So we know if you need to adjust for color temperature.

Are you using a light tent to reduce or eliminate outside light sources
and reduce reflections?

Old August 21st 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joseph Meehan

wrote:
Hi,

I hope there is someone out there who can help. As a Lions Club pin
trader I am planning to photograph my pin collection one pin at a time
and build a catalog with word or printmaster programs. However when I
take a picture on a pure white piece of paper, even though the image
turns out perfect there is a blue or tan background that is highly
objectionable. How do I eliminate this blue or tan background?

Thanks

Tom

Most image editing programs offer the ability to change the color cast.
This may be the best way for what you are doing.

There is a way of color matching which means adjusting the camera,
monitor and printer so they all see the same way. It can be a little
difficult for a beginner. This would be the "correct" way.

Another approach might be adjusting the lighting. If you are not using
the exact same lighting each time I suggest you want to try to do that.

Another possible reason for the differences is the automatic adjustments
your camera is making trying to improve the image. Depending on your camera
it may be possible to fix that as well. Check your camera manual for
subjects like white balance or color balance or color shifts or color
adjustments.

Just for the record, the image is likely all a little too blue or tan
but you don't notice it in the image area.

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old August 21st 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Thanks for your help. The camera is a Sony DSC-S75. If I use flash the
background is bluish and if I use natural the background is tan. I have
three filters I am not smart enough to use... a UV, a F-DL, P.L.
Wasn't aware of a light tent but it sounds like something I could
purchase if needed. The pins I plan to catalog are usually 2"X1" but
occasionally go to 3"X3". If you have a suggestion for light source I'm
all ears. If you'd like to send info by email to it
seems less cumbersome on this end.
Thanks Again

Tom

Old August 21st 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
no_name

wrote:

Hi,

I hope there is someone out there who can help. As a Lions Club pin
trader I am planning to photograph my pin collection one pin at a time
and build a catalog with word or printmaster programs. However when I
take a picture on a pure white piece of paper, even though the image
turns out perfect there is a blue or tan background that is highly
objectionable. How do I eliminate this blue or tan background?

Thanks

Tom

You might put it insomething like this:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/13989420

You can make your background any color you want it to be. Check your
local hobby stores for a roll of paper the color you want.

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

John