Photographers are loners?

Old August 21st 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

Default Photographers are loners?

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:15:19 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
ASAAR wrote:
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 06:54:38 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

Having written this I've noticed that many good photographers are also
skilled technicians/scientists, one might say "geeks", who tend to be
more lone than gregarious.

Is anyone waiting for our friend to reply? :O)
"Only the lonely" -- Roy Orbison

:O)

Been holding my breath for some time now. Guess OP is out with friends
now....

He hasn't got any.....
--
Neil
Delete l to reply
Old August 21st 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Helen

"doopydoo" wrote in message
it's just an observation but i see a majority die hard photographers are
loners

I often think that would be nice.

Old August 21st 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

John McWilliams wrote:

Paul Heslop wrote:
ASAAR wrote:
On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 06:54:38 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:

Having written this I've noticed that many good photographers are also
skilled technicians/scientists, one might say "geeks", who tend to be
more lone than gregarious.

Is anyone waiting for our friend to reply? :O)
"Only the lonely" -- Roy Orbison

:O)

Been holding my breath for some time now. Guess OP is out with friends
now....

--
lsmft

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself
purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Subtle Plans
Are Here Again'."
-- Blackadder

he he he
--
Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
Stop and Look
Old August 21st 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stace

I tend to disagree, but I like to photograph people..and have a great
group of people that get together for monthly shooting assignments
together! Camera clubs and photography classes are a great way to have
more fun with fellow photogs!! AND...I am kind of new to groups and am
just taken aback by some of the nasty replys...ouch and can you say
anger mangement much!! Be well-and smile!!

Old August 21st 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"doopydoo" wrote in message
it's just an observation but i see a majority die hard photographers are
loners

Calling all you lonely people.

Sort of.
..
Photographers need to be alone when out being creative with their Camera. I
would not describe them as loners, more as individual.

There is nothing worse than waiting for the scene, or whatever, to be just
right, when She is whining on about it being hot, cold, boring, time for
coffeee or the toilet, etc, etc.

(It is not always She, but it used to be, until She got a Digicam last
Christmas).

While being alone during the creative process, photographers tend to be very
gregarious, once that has finished.

Camera Clubs and Societies are the perfect example. But even on the Club
Outings, the members tend to spread out and be creative in their own little
world.

Roy G

Old August 21st 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Randy Berbaum wrote:
doopydoo wrote:
: it's just an observation but i see a majority die hard photographers are
: loners

You may be right to a point. Many of us do tend to enjoy our hobby while
alone where we don't have to be so conciderate of the companion's
frustration while we spend 10 min setting up the perfect shot, for the
3rd thime that hour. In our non-hobby time we can be as welcoming of
company as anyone else. I know that when I am with companions I tend to
shoot more "snapshots" if anything. But when I am alone I may take upwards
of half an hour walking around to find the exact right angle, and wait for
the clouds to be in the right place, and the sun is highlighting the right
feature. And at the same time I am fiddling with settings to hopefully
catch the image I see in my mind. I may even take a dozen images, each
with a slightly different set of settings and/or camera orientation. I've
even spent 10 to 15 min shooting multiple images that will be later
stitched into a massive image. Such things are hard to do when you have
one or more other people standing around, tapping their feet, complaining
about the heat/cold/hunger/getting late/etc.

There are many hobbies that this "loner" tag can be put on. Think of the
inventor or the model railroader, or for the clothing maker, or even the
scrapbooker. All of these hobbies generally are enjoyed alone. The
finished product will be shown off to others, but the actual
manufacturing time is often spent quietly alone.

So, yes I tend to be a loner when I am indulging in the more extreme forms
of my hobby, but this alone state does not have to encompass all my life.

Randy

Very well said Randy!
Those are my sentiments exactly.
Bob Williams

Old August 21st 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SimonLW

"doopydoo" wrote in message
it's just an observation but i see a majority die hard photographers are
loners

He/she/it (in the case of a troll) seem to indicate that photographers are
loners. Not just during shooting, but as a recluse in general. Buy the tone
of some of the replies, this seems to be regarded as a negative attribute.
Does everyone have to be a socialite? What is exactly the problem with being
a loner?

While I know a few people and can talk for hours, I consider myself a loner.
I enjoy engaging in my hobbies unfettered by disturbance of others.
-S

Old August 21st 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
no_name

doopydoo wrote:

it's just an observation but i see a majority die hard photographers are
loners

Nah. You gotta' have assistants to carry all the equipment.

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

John
Old August 21st 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkipM

As opposed to a quilting bee... G
Randy, that is a very succint and accurate appraisal of the question.
Despite the fact that my wife and I often go out and shoot together (that
is, aside from the times we shoot weddings together!), equally often one of
us is off, doing it by ourselves. It just isn't one of those "group effort"
type of hobbies.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 22nd 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SkipM

"Stewy" wrote in message
doopydoo wrote:

it's just an observation but i see a majority die hard photographers are
loners

Well maybe they are now, but they were all once happily married. It's
just that they bought the latest bling-bling DSLR, then found their
collection wouldn't be complete without this or that lens, a pro type
bag, dedicated flash, heavy tripod, new computer, Photoshop CS2, DVD
burner, A3 printer... Before long, the long-suffering wife has fled the
family home in search of someone more interested in her than the noggin
who drools over the latest Nikon or Canon brochure...

Well, I am still happily married, but at the cost of my wife having a 5D,
20D, 24-105 f4L IS, 24-70 f2.8L, Quantum T4D and T5D (gotta have backup!)
Divorce might have been cheaper, but nowhere near as fun! G
(We share custody of the 15mm f2.8 Fisheye, 16-35 f2.8L and 70-200 f2.8L IS,
and I have sole possession of the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS and my own 24-70
f2.8L and a few other lenses.)