Film Flash in Digital Camera.

Old September 19th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

Default Film Flash in Digital Camera.

I have found an old
Sakur Auto 27B Flash
that I have never used.
Can something like this be used at all?

thank you

JSM

Old September 19th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Sep 19, 1:33 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
I have found an old
Sakur Auto 27B Flash
that I have never used.
Can something like this be used at all?

thank you

JSM

Only if its trigger voltage isn't too high. It will fry or harm a
digital.
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Old September 20th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 19, 1:33 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
I have found an old
Sakur Auto 27B Flash
that I have never used.
Can something like this be used at all?

thank you

JSM

Only if its trigger voltage isn't too high. It will fry or harm a
digital.
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

wow I did not even think of anything like that.
I did read or think I did that the flash may not fire in time or 2 fast for
digital.

thank you again

JSM

Old September 20th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne

In article tuiIi.3231$yO2.1158@trndny01, says...

Only if its trigger voltage isn't too high. It will fry or harm a
digital.
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

wow I did not even think of anything like that.
I did read or think I did that the flash may not fire in time or 2 fast for
digital.

The voltage of old flash units is an issue. You can simply measure it with a
digital volt meter, from the large center pin on the foot to the metal foot,
while simply turned on. This voltage, if high, can damage digital cameras.
Digital cameras vary, no bets on specific models, but Nikon seems to say up
to 250 volts where Canon says up to 6V. Modern flash units today are all
quite low, like 5V at the shoe. Old ones might be 300V.

But you can always add the Wein SafeSync module in between at shoe for
voltage protection however. This is what it is for.

The flash speed is not an issue. The issue is that the old flash only
understands manual mode and must be used in manual mode at the camera too.
Because digital cameras (all of them) use preflash to meter their TTL flash,
and this preflash will trigger any manual flash too early, before shutter is
open. Solution is to use manual flash mode at the camera too, to match it.

--
Wayne
http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

Old September 20th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

I think I will wait until I get the 580EX II.
wow I could have fried my new camera lol.
you would have seen me posting in alt.shotshelfinhead.
I will test it just to get some use out of my mulitmeter one of these days.
thank you

JSM