5 minute FB print washing time??

Old February 7th 04, 01:48 PM
CBlood59

Default 5 minute FB print washing time??

Hello,

Why does the bottle of PermaWash indicate a 5 minute final wash time for fiber
prints? The conventional wisdom seems to be 45 minutes to one hour, even with
hypo clearing agent. What's the truth.

Curt Blood
Old February 7th 04, 02:59 PM
Sam G

I tend to stick with Ilford's recommendation of 5 min water wash, 10 min
hypoclear, 5 min. final wash and have seen no problems (although if I am
doing a number of prints I use my print washer and the final time is
probably longer; for a few prints I wash them in a tray and probably do not
exceed these times by much). As far as I understand this recommendation it
is based on a a relatively short fixing time to avoid completely permeating
the paper with fixer.

If you google this topic, you will find multiple past postings on this
apparently age-old topic.

Sam

Old February 7th 04, 08:58 PM
Pieter Litchfield

I think the 5 minute time also assumes a perfect print washer. I went to a
photo school where the fiber prints were washed in moving water for 5
minutes while being constantly restacked by some lucky students, then
hypoclear, then 5 minutes in an archival washer (uncrowded) with a good
volume flowing through it. I think if the volumes aren't there you need to
increase the times some.
om...

Old February 8th 04, 01:40 AM
DanKPhoto

What is a hydrophobic separator sheet?
Regards,
Dan Kapsner

I alternate between two trays and use hydrophobic separator sheets
to aid in the uniform diffusion of hypo outwardly. Once placed the
prints are left to sit. After the last fix a rinse, a HCA, a rinse
and that print is ready for the wash or, if more, a holding tray.
Three or four changes of water are needed. Little water is used.

Old February 8th 04, 05:50 PM
Mike King

There are several factors at work here.

1. If there is already a product out there that has a "10 minute wash"
someone else will introduce a "5 minute wash" product.

2. The aim point of their wash standard may be only "short term",
"industrial" or "commercial" rather than "archival". (And various
manufacturers can not even agree on what any of those terms mean.)

3. Their method of processing and washing may only be feasible in their
lab.

4. Their water may be different from yours.

Having said all that, any wash aid is much better that no wash aid. But
it's important that you do your own tests if you want an complete wash in
the least amount of time. The procedure is quite simple and also in the
book.

David Vestal had a chapter or two in his books about wash practices (and
testing). I would recommend both books to all darkroom workers. The Craft
of Photography and The Art of Black and White Enlarging. Both available
only used, alas.

--
darkroommike