experiences with 400TX and TMAX developed with HC100/TMAX/XTOL?

Old February 1st 04, 08:17 AM
E Colar

Default experiences with 400TX and TMAX developed with HC100/TMAX/XTOL?

Hi,

Would you share your experiences developing 400TX and TMAX films using
HC100, TMAX and XTOL?

TIA,
--
Emmanuel

Old February 1st 04, 01:25 PM
?

Emmanuel,

I just started shooting Tmax 400 a couple rolls ago. I really like the Tmax
100 and 3200 (at 800 and 1600). Using one shot Tmax developer.

I think the grain in Tri-X is finer than in T-Max 400. Plus, I *think* I
best like T-Max 3200 shot at 800. I was just printing my first four rolls
of Tmax 400 last nite.

I have to do a side by side of the 3200 with the 400. I *know* I like the
Tri-X better than the T-Max 400.

I use these faster films mainly for wildlife shots with a 600 f5.6 and
frequently with a TC14B to reach out. It is not as if I am trying to
overextend the enlargement; many are 8X10 full negatives from a 35mm. Also,
I use a condenser enlarger and usually print with the No. 2 or 2 1/2 filter.
I say this only because these things likely make a difference in our
evaluation of films.

I will be very interested in seeing the experiences of others.

Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com
Ebay Sales:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...ems&userid=dsc
Restorations, Parts for Hamilton M21s, Products for Craftsmen
Makers of Historic Timekeepers Ultrasonic Clock Cleaning Solution

Old February 3rd 04, 04:59 PM
Phil Glaser

Would you share your experiences developing 400TX and TMAX films using
HC100, TMAX and XTOL?

I posted about TMAX 400 with HC110 a while back and got some good
feedback: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...photo.darkroom

At the moment I'm doing nothing but experimenting with TMAX 400 and
HC-110. I am exposing 35mm test frames in scenes of a given brightness
range and seeing how things come out. So far it seems that the regime
I desscribed preivously (dilution "H" @ 75 deg for 10 minutes with
TMAX 400 exposed @ 320 ASA) has the correct effect for a scene of
normal range, though I may increase it a bit pending further
experimentation. That's all I know at this time, and since I am very
inexperienced with all this, even that little should be taken with a
grain of salt.

A number of folks have suggested that I'll get better results more
easily with either a different film (i.e., Tri-X) or a different
developer (i.e., TMAX). Since I already bought the film and the
developer, I'm sticking with the combination for now. If nothing else,
I am learning as I go.

The only complication I have now is figuring out push-processing
times. The kodak publication on this question is useless:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...X%20400%20Film
For a one-stop push it lists the same time as for normal development.
For a three-stop push, it says "NR" i.e., not-recommended, but does
not explain why.
If anyone has suggestions in this regard, I would be grateful.

--Phil
Old February 5th 04, 08:09 AM
Rick

Use D76 1:1

In article , m
says...

Old February 5th 04, 09:30 AM
Severi Salminen

"Rick" wrote:
Would you share your experiences developing 400TX and TMAX films using
HC100, TMAX and XTOL?

Use D76 1:1

Hmm, did you actually read the original question?? And if you think D76 1:1
is somehow better suited than HC100, TMAX and XTOL, then a few arguments
would be more than welcome. "USE [developer]" is not very helpful...

Severi S.

Old February 6th 04, 06:37 AM
Rick

With all 3 films mentioned, HC110 will give coarser grain, period. With TX it
will give the illusion of being sharper, an effect of the coarser grain. With
TMX & TMY it gives an odd H&D curve, I preferred the toe and shoulder with D76
1:1.

Tmax developer was developed as a straight line (H&D curve) developer with
excellent toe to gain full speed out of TMZ (3200). If you don't mind the
grain, you could try HC110 here, actually gives 1/3 stop more. TMAX is a
good push developer for TX, TMX, TMY but again grain, sharpness, tonal range,
and contrast are all more in balance with D76 1:1. Don't be fooled, Tmax
films do not work best in general use with Tmax developer. Only advantage is
about 1/6-1/3 stop more film speed at "normal" ei's, but mid-tone separation
will not be as good as compared to D76 1:1. The film will not "pop" as much.

I found grain and sharpness mushy with TMX as compared to D76 1:1. TX and
D76 is the classic film/developer combination and one which everyone should be
familiar with to compare other film and developer combinations to. I tested
XTOL with TMY and got good results, though only at 1:1. Grain was very fine
and sharpness was approaching TMY with D76. Problme I had was the voodoo
results with XTOL and I soon concluded it was the "developer from hell".
Others have had more consistent results with XTOL then me.

My dirty little secret is that in my business I've been using T400CN, sharp
and nearly grainless and scans well. I wouldn't want this to get around,
though, so its in strict confidence.

Rick Schiller
www.rickschiller.com

In article ,
says...

Old February 6th 04, 12:41 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Xtol 5L pak has been bullet proof for me... Use it, abuse it, ignore it for
months in a partial bottle, come back and it still works... What the
difference in the 1L pak was, is up to conjecture...
Actually, I have since quit using Xtol once I started playing with Patrick
Gainer's ascorbic acid developer formulas and bought a set of cooking
spoons... The grain is slightly larger than in Xtol since there is no
sulphite in Pat's early formulas, but the grain is also very, very, sharp...
I hear dark rumors that Pat has since fallen off the wagon and is back on
the sulphite... pity, that...
denny

Old February 6th 04, 06:20 PM
Rick

Yes, I only tried Xtol in the 1-liter packages not the 5, and had the
occasional mystery result, had to give up on the stuff.

Rick

In article ,
says...