No spam!

Old April 5th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

Default No spam!

* Miles wrote, On 3/30/2008 21:03:
* Miles wrote, On 3/28/2008 10:34:
haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be
that my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone
editing/canceling out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg.
and
organization=google, http://groups.google.com, .cn, googlemail123.com,
gmail, 123.com, 161.com, and gmail.com. Delete msg and ignore thread.

I realize some of these may be redundant, but if it's working don't
fix it!
Miles

Wonder why it has been recommended to action both "mark as read" and
"delete." Won't just plain "delete" suffice? (I see in the log
apparently both are acted upon -- so it duplicates log entries.)
Miles

Asked this same question in Thunderbird NG and within a period of a few
days there has not been a response. guess it's a question I should ask
of the forum.
Miles
Old April 5th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Miles wrote:

* Miles wrote, On 3/30/2008 21:03:
* Miles wrote, On 3/28/2008 10:34:
haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be
that my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone
editing/canceling out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg. and
organization=google, http://groups.google.com, .cn, googlemail123.com,
gmail, 123.com, 161.com, and gmail.com. Delete msg and ignore thread.

I realize some of these may be redundant, but if it's working don't fix
it!
Miles

Wonder why it has been recommended to action both "mark as read" and
"delete." Won't just plain "delete" suffice? (I see in the log
apparently both are acted upon -- so it duplicates log entries.) Miles

Asked this same question in Thunderbird NG and within a period of a few
days there has not been a response. guess it's a question I should ask
of the forum.

While I can't answer for anyone else, in my news clients that allow
filtering GG posts directly (TB isn't one, of course; it needs help from
another program) I have GG posts show red backgrounds in the articles
list, and I have a display filter that keeps them from being seen. But if
I do want to dig out something from a Google Groper, I can reveal those
red GG posts with a mouse click or two until I'm finished and return them
to not being displayed.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old April 5th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

* Blinky the Shark wrote, On 4/4/2008 22:31:
Miles wrote:

* Miles wrote, On 3/30/2008 21:03:
* Miles wrote, On 3/28/2008 10:34:
haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be
that my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone
editing/canceling out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg. and
[...]

Great idea since you then have the ability to view legit posters --
common in threads in this NG.
Old April 5th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Miles wrote:

* Miles wrote, On 3/30/2008 21:03:
* Miles wrote, On 3/28/2008 10:34:
haven't had a single spam in this newsgroup in 2 days. Could it be
that my filters in Thunderbird are kicking in, or is someone
editing/canceling out the spam?

My filters a

Subject contains cancel; mark as read and delete msg. and
[...]

Sure. Takes a good news client, but it's extremely handy. (The same
click also displays read articles, so I can quickly go back and look
up *anything*, not just posts from Google Gropers.)

Incidentally, while I've done this forever (and I'll be 61 in June, so
don't take that lightly g), I only recently got around to putting up a
page at the Project with an example. I did it to show the difference
between an unfiltered articles list and a GG-filtered list (no other
filters were engaged, as I mention in the text), but it also illustates
the technique.

http://improve-usenet.org/results.html

Old April 6th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Miles

Miles wrote:

* Miles wrote, On 3/30/2008 21:03:
* Miles wrote, On 3/28/2008 10:34:

[...]

Great visualization posting. And you're only 61, still a child; however,

with much more experience in this field than I.

Now guess it's time for me to research for a news client to work with TB
-- surprising that an extension hasn't been written.
Old April 6th 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Miles wrote:

* Miles wrote, On 3/30/2008 21:03:
* Miles wrote, On 3/28/2008 10:34:

[...]

I think you meant "a local server or proxy to work with TB.

And here they are, conveniently outlined at the Project. Why, it's almost
like I knew people were going to need to know about them.

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html