Jobo AutoLab

Old February 11th 04, 06:09 PM
Robert Meyers

Default Jobo AutoLab

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Jobo AutoLabs? I have
been considering picking one up.

Could anyone comment on the following areas:

1. Quality
2. Speed
3. Ease of Use
4. Unresolved issues

This would be being used for 35mm only, and pretty much the whole spectrum
of it. Heavily E6.

Thanks all!

PS- Crossposting to the relevent groups rec.photo.darkroom,
rec.photo.equipment.35mm.

Old February 11th 04, 07:45 PM
Tom Thackrey

On 11-Feb-2004, "Robert Meyers" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Jobo AutoLabs? I have
been considering picking one up.

Could anyone comment on the following areas:

1. Quality
2. Speed
3. Ease of Use
4. Unresolved issues

This would be being used for 35mm only, and pretty much the whole spectrum
of it. Heavily E6.

I use the ATL-1500 regularly. It's excellent. You will need a good temp
control valve, I like the Hass.

Quality - build: very good, results: excellent

Speed - I'm not sure what you mean. The processing times are pretty much set
by the chemistry and your preferences. There is a pre-soak which adds some
time and bringing the chemistry up to temp can take a while. You do need to
run the cleaning cycle after processing and when changing from one chemistry
to another.

Ease of use - the hardest part is loading the reels. You do need to do the
stabilizer/photoflow and HCA steps after removing the film from the reels,
but that's not a big deal.

Unresolved issues - none

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com
Old February 11th 04, 10:36 PM
Manny Bhuta

I have a Jobo Autolab ATL-3 and am very happy with it. Like all other Jobo
products it is very well built. I use it to develop C41 and E6 films, up to 12
rolls of 35mm at a time. Some people have trouble loading films on to Jobo
reels, particularly 120 and 220 sizes. I find that if you follow the Jobo's
instructions, these reels are very easy and fast to load.

To develop films, or paper, all you have to do is:
1. fill the bottles with chemicals
2. turn power and water "on"
3. select the program (C41, E6, RA4 etc.)
4. press the start button and walk away

The processor beeps at the end of processing.

Manny Bhuta
Randolph, NJ USA

______