flea inside lens.

Old October 19th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bubbalou Baxter

Default flea inside lens.

I think I have either a flea or a fruit fly inside my Canon 600mm lens.
Is there any way of getting it out or do I have to send it back for
servicing?
Old October 19th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

Put it next to a cat or an old banana...

Old October 19th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
sheepdog 2007

On 2007-10-19 07:56:42 -0700, "jean" said:

Put it next to a cat or an old banana...

"Bubbalou Baxter" a écrit dans le message de
I think I have either a flea or a fruit fly inside my Canon 600mm lens.
Is there any way of getting it out or do I have to send it back for
servicing?

Beat me to it. That's the scientific approach: first find out *exactly*
what you're dealing with. Better hurry though, especially if it's a
fruit fly.
--
Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address
yourselves instead to the safety of the republic

Old October 19th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Bubbalou Baxter wrote:
I think I have either a flea or a fruit fly inside my Canon 600mm lens.
Is there any way of getting it out

There is. How good are you in opening lenses, not getting
too much dust inside and getting back a well-functioning lens
afterwards?

or do I have to send it back for servicing?

Probably the best idea.
If you qualify for CPS, you should get quick service, or so I hear.

Local shops might be able to do that as well.

On the other hand: does it have a visible influence on your
photographs? If not, don't worry overmuch, wait till you have
time to send it in.

-Wolfgang
Old October 19th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Geoff. Hayward

"Bubbalou Baxter" wrote in message
I think I have either a flea or a fruit fly inside my Canon 600mm lens. Is
there any way of getting it out or do I have to send it back for servicing?

fertilize it?

Old October 19th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

On 2007-10-19 07:56:42 -0700, "jean" said:

Put it next to a cat or an old banana...

"Bubbalou Baxter" a écrit dans le message de
I think I have either a flea or a fruit fly inside my Canon 600mm lens.
Is there any way of getting it out or do I have to send it back for
servicing?

Beat me to it. That's the scientific approach: first find out *exactly*
what you're dealing with. Better hurry though, especially if it's a
fruit fly.

Exactly, they have a tendency to multiply really fast. The good thisg is
they will stay inside the lens and not be making a beeline to your eyes ;-)

Jean

Old October 19th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Coon

jean wrote:
Beat me to it. That's the scientific approach: first find out
*exactly* what you're dealing with. Better hurry though, especially
if it's a fruit fly.

Exactly, they have a tendency to multiply really fast. The good
thisg is they will stay inside the lens and not be making a beeline
to your eyes ;-)

But even if they managed to mutate to be able to use energy directly in the
form of light through the lens they are not likely to find enough nutrients
from which to construct much in the way of progeny!

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

Old October 20th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Bubbalou Baxter wrote:
I think I have either a flea or a fruit fly inside my Canon 600mm lens.
Is there any way of getting it out or do I have to send it back for
servicing?

Depending on where in the lens it is, you could remove the
filter holder and put a ripe banana beside the lens and
hopefully the fly will come out the filter slot.

If it is deeper in, probably service is needed.

Roger
Old October 20th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

"Mike Coon" a écrit dans le message de
jean wrote:
Beat me to it. That's the scientific approach: first find out
*exactly* what you're dealing with. Better hurry though, especially
if it's a fruit fly.

Exactly, they have a tendency to multiply really fast. The good
thisg is they will stay inside the lens and not be making a beeline
to your eyes ;-)

But even if they managed to mutate to be able to use energy directly in

the
form of light through the lens they are not likely to find enough

nutrients
from which to construct much in the way of progeny!

But according to some Canon detractors, Canon makes it's lenses with
anything from cheap plastics (which could have protein contents) to
dehydrated cheese, even the grease is made from fish oils. Plenty of food
for pests if you ask me.

Jean