Lens advice

Old November 9th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

Default Lens advice

K guys..

I've been reading the various threads, and I'm looking for a bit of
input based on experience..

I've got an older D70, with the 18-55 Kit lens and the older model
70-300 zoom.

For what I'm doing right now (stills, candids, tripod shots) they seem
to do the trick.

I'm thinking of advancing in the portrait direction, however. I've been
told prime lenses are fairly nice for that, but that's about it.

Any lens recommendations? This is strictly hobby right now, and frankly
I don't see it going commercial any time soon (I've *got* a job.. I'd
hate to turn my passion into an obligation ) so though I don't mind
investing a bit for a quality lens, I don't see myself spending
thousands just yet.

Thoughts?

TIA
P.
Old November 9th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
flambe

Nikon 50mm f1.8.
The best Nikon lens for the money available.
In fact, one of the best Nikon lenses available. Every serious amateur Nikon
user should have one.
Mine is the only holdover lens from my Nikon film SLRs that I use all the
time on my D70 and D80.
While this will seem like an 80mm lens on the D70 it does not have the
slight flattening of the 80-100mm primes that have been traditionally
considered portrait lenses.
The Nikon 50 is around $100, the Nikon 80 1.8 around $400.
The 50 will be an all round more useful lens. Once you start critically
comparing shots from your 18-55 at 50mm and the 50mm prime it should not be
difficult to discern the differences.

Old November 9th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

flambe wrote:
Nikon 50mm f1.8.
The best Nikon lens for the money available.
In fact, one of the best Nikon lenses available. Every serious amateur Nikon
user should have one.
Mine is the only holdover lens from my Nikon film SLRs that I use all the
time on my D70 and D80.
While this will seem like an 80mm lens on the D70 it does not have the
slight flattening of the 80-100mm primes that have been traditionally
considered portrait lenses.
The Nikon 50 is around $100, the Nikon 80 1.8 around $400.
The 50 will be an all round more useful lens. Once you start critically
comparing shots from your 18-55 at 50mm and the 50mm prime it should not be
difficult to discern the differences.

Many thanks.. on shopping list for the weekend
Old November 10th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Philippe

Pboud wrote:
flambe wrote:
Nikon 50mm f1.8.
The best Nikon lens for the money available.
In fact, one of the best Nikon lenses available. Every serious amateur
Nikon user should have one.
Mine is the only holdover lens from my Nikon film SLRs that I use all
the time on my D70 and D80.
While this will seem like an 80mm lens on the D70 it does not have the
slight flattening of the 80-100mm primes that have been traditionally
considered portrait lenses.
The Nikon 50 is around $100, the Nikon 80 1.8 around $400.
The 50 will be an all round more useful lens. Once you start
critically comparing shots from your 18-55 at 50mm and the 50mm prime
it should not be difficult to discern the differences.

Many thanks.. on shopping list for the weekend

Just picked it up.... 10 shots in and I swear it's not coming off for a
while..

Thks again!

P.
Old November 11th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

philippe wrote:

Just picked it up.... 10 shots in and I swear it's not coming off for a
while..

You will find the lens is almost *too* sharp when taking portraits of
people over the age of 25. Its high resolution is cruel in
highlighting every imperfection and blemish.

For portraits of people older than 25, you may prefer the results you
get when using a soft focus filter such as a Zeiss Softar 1, which is
available in the B+W and Heliopan ranges of glass optical filters.

Old November 12th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike Coon

Tony Polson wrote:
For portraits of people older than 25, you may prefer the results you
get when using a soft focus filter such as a Zeiss Softar 1, which is
available in the B+W and Heliopan ranges of glass optical filters.

As someone more than twice that age, I would prefer any portrait to be
deeply pixellated...

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

Old November 13th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
pboud

Mike Coon wrote:
Tony Polson wrote:
For portraits of people older than 25, you may prefer the results you
get when using a soft focus filter such as a Zeiss Softar 1, which is
available in the B+W and Heliopan ranges of glass optical filters.

Current pictures of my cat have proven the outstanding qualities of this
lens..

Current pics of my wife and kids have proven the absolute truth of your
statement

As someone more than twice that age, I would prefer any portrait to be
deeply pixellated...

Somehow, I can relate :P
Mike.

P.