Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

Old October 29th 18, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 18:53:49 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Oct 28, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 13:46:32 -0700 (PDT),

On 2018-10-28 17:29:20 +0000, David Taylor
said:

On 28/10/2018 16:51, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Rich, why don’t you post your Windows bitching, and stuff to a Windows
NG where it belongs, not to r.p.d. where it is off topic?

The last time you did this on October 8, the result was a major
pollution of 296 OT posts in r.p.d., and your only post in the thread was the first
one.

I agree in general, but DC/DVD drives are something photographers might
use, aren't they?

The last time I used a CD/DVD for any sort of image file
sharing/archiving was over 15 years ago. The last time I used a Windows
machine was at work in February 2009, and then I retired.

You people have a weird belief in the reliability of cloud or solid state
memory. You know what some of the most reliable storage has proven to be?
magnetic TAPE.

That was never my experience.

I believe these guys are working for MS now.

https://youtu.be/MXW0bx_Ooq4

Now you tell me.

I'm currently trying to make my two Windows 10 computer _each_ talk to
the other. Corsair gets on fine with Dell but rejects Dell whenever
Dell tries to talk back. The instructions on line sound as though they
were written by those guys.

Eric Stevens
Old October 29th 18, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I'm currently trying to make my two Windows 10 computer _each_ talk to
the other. Corsair gets on fine with Dell but rejects Dell whenever
Dell tries to talk back.

that's very smart of the corsair system.

On 2018-10-28 17:29:20 +0000, David Taylor
said:

[...]

Just make sure that your Turbo Encabulator has a sufficiently strong
differential girdle spring, or you might end up with a loose dingle arm, and
a failed moxie interrupter. That could lead to sinusoidal depleneration.

Savageduck

Old October 29th 18, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 28/10/2018 19:10, Savageduck wrote:
[]
The last time I used a CD/DVD for any sort of image file
sharing/archiving was over 15 years ago. The last time I used a Windows
machine was at work in February 2009, and then I retired.

I archive onto DVD every month.

--
Cheers,
David
Old October 29th 18, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 29/10/2018 04:29, Eric Stevens wrote:
[]
Now you tell me.

I'm currently trying to make my two Windows 10 computer _each_ talk to
the other. Corsair gets on fine with Dell but rejects Dell whenever
Dell tries to talk back. The instructions on line sound as though they
were written by those guys.

Check:

Share/directory/file security
Network public/private
Network discovery
Try IP addresses rather than names

--
Cheers,
David
Old October 29th 18, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , David Taylor
wrote:

I archive onto DVD every month.

you must not have much data.
Old October 29th 18, 07:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 13:23:42 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

Rich, why don¹t you post your Windows bitching, and stuff to a Windows NG
where it belongs, not to r.p.d. where it is off topic?

The last time you did this on October 8, the result was a major pollution of
296 OT posts in r.p.d., and your only post in the thread was the first one.

he only does so to troll.

Is it not interesting how people who would never expect anyone to be
able use even a mildly complex camera effectively without at least
some level of understanding of how its system works will nevertheless
expect to use a computer and its operating system without bothering
with acquiring the slightest level of either expertise or even
understanding.

"It all works just by magic, doesn't it? Just like cameras do."
Old October 29th 18, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Is it not interesting how people who would never expect anyone to be
able use even a mildly complex camera effectively without at least
some level of understanding of how its system works will nevertheless
expect to use a computer and its operating system without bothering
with acquiring the slightest level of either expertise or even
understanding.

people do that every day.

"It all works just by magic, doesn't it? Just like cameras do."

it does.
Old October 29th 18, 09:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Default A Reply to Dumb RichA OT Stuff

Tony Cooper:
I sometimes wonder about you, Duck. You have a top-of-the-line Mac,
no appreciable chance of a virus, and sixty-two back-up systems.

Are you expecting an earthquake during a tsunami followed by a
meteorite shower?

In the course of which a runaway petrol truck would trigger a massive
fire.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 29th 18, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2018-10-28 17:13, nospam wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

I agree in general, but DC/DVD drives are something photographers might
use, aren't they?

The last time I used a CD/DVD for any sort of image file
sharing/archiving was over 15 years ago. The last time I used a Windows
machine was at work in February 2009, and then I retired.

You people have a weird belief in the reliability of cloud or solid state
memory.

either of those is *significantly* more reliable than a cd/dvd, which
are among the least reliable of any storage media.

No. I have tons. I re-write after 5 - 6 years, but I've kept some
"test" DVD's that are readable after over 10 years. Storage conditions
(cool, dry, dark) are essential. No parts to fail either. Readers are
cheap and will be available (even if used) for a very long time.

A cloud account could go poof and SSM could fail electronically.

Even a CD/DVD with some bad areas will be readable in most other areas.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."