GIMP

Old September 4th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Default GIMP ... yes, it sucks

Mark Thomas wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
Also, someone implied that Gimp toggled the preview on or off by simply
holding down the mouse or scroll bar..? not so in mine (2.4.6). You
need to check/uncheck the Preview box, and it only previews the effect
in the dialog box. In PS you merely have to hold the mouse button and
release it as you scroll around - nice.

Just move the mouse slightly (which will scroll the
preview within the
image). You are describing for PS exactly what GIMP does.

No, it isn't. Because AS SOON AS Gimp recalculates the image it
replaces it - you do NOT control the re-appearance of the sharpened
image. Maybe that gives you time on a slow machine, but on mine it
means I am continually clicking and re-moving - that is not the same at
all, and is annoying.

Why would you be "clicking" to re-move??? What you
describe for PS sounds like a PITA compared to GIMP.

Select Unsharp from the menu, then click on the little
cross in the lower right corner to position the preview
display within the image, then put the cursor on the
displayed preview image. You can hold down the left
mouse button and scroll the image. When the image is
moving it will be the non-edited version, and
immediately when you stop moving the unsharp version
will pop in. The only time "clicking" is necessary is
if you want to scroll the image a distance greater than
the limits of the preview width or height.

As far as a preview it is great. You can, for example,
scoot the center of the preview display around an object
and get a good look at the effects *without* having to
be clicking the mouse a dozen times.

Or, if you want the preview to stay in one place, you
just move the cursor ever so slightly downward, and
click in the preview on and off box, which really is
horribly difficult and distracting for PhotoShop users I
agree, but for *everyone* else seems to be very very easy.
(As in, what's your problem?)

You sound just like Alan "It isn't EXACTLY PhotoShop"
Browne.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old September 4th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Blinky the Shark

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

Mark Thomas wrote:
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Mark Thomas wrote:
[...]

Holy crap. I started reading this thread, and first replied, when it was
claimed that the only way to move around an image in The GIMP was with the
scroll bars. Clicketyclicketyclickety. I simply pointed out the little
four-arrow navigator tool. Click.

I wasn't talking about an in-process unsharp mask operation (or any other)
-- I was just talking about a plain ol' pane that was smaller than the
sizing of the image display. I've used The GIMP for years, and I don't
think I've ever used that dialog-box navigator *during editing*; I've
always used the scroll bars. D'oh! Much thanks for pointing out the
obvious -- to this real-life *user* of The GIMP.

snip

You sound just like Alan "It isn't EXACTLY PhotoShop" Browne.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old September 4th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

You sound just like Alan "It isn't EXACTLY PhotoShop" Browne.

Ah yes, distort the message to damn the messenger. Floyd, eh? No
surprise there. Not the first time he's twisted what I said.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 4th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Default GIMP

nospam wrote:
In article , Troy Piggins
wrote:

So does GIMP. I'm not bashing PS. I'm just pointing out that
almost everything PS does, GIMP does. And the gap between
functions is narrowing all the time.

that's not even remotely close to being true. photoshop does a *lot*
more than the gimp and the gap is *growing*, not shrinking. people who
think that the gimp is essentially a free version of photoshop are
simply unfamiliar of what photoshop can actually *do*. and it's not
just a feature checklist; as i said before, there are a lot of little
things that make working in photoshop more productive.

So you say... but every time we down to brass tacks it turns
out that GIMP does what PS does, but differenty.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old September 4th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

So does GIMP. I'm not bashing PS. I'm just pointing out that
almost everything PS does, GIMP does. And the gap between
functions is narrowing all the time.

that's not even remotely close to being true. photoshop does a *lot*
more than the gimp and the gap is *growing*, not shrinking. people who
think that the gimp is essentially a free version of photoshop are
simply unfamiliar of what photoshop can actually *do*. and it's not
just a feature checklist; as i said before, there are a lot of little
things that make working in photoshop more productive.

So you say... but every time we down to brass tacks it turns
out that GIMP does what PS does, but differenty.

um, no. and last time we went thru this, you even agreed that a number
of things that i mentioned were in fact missing from the gimp, such as
adjustment layers, to name just one. and cs4 debuts in three weeks
with a plethora of new features that gimp doesn't have.
Old September 4th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_18_]

* nospam wrote :
* Troy Piggins wrote :

So does GIMP. I'm not bashing PS. I'm just pointing out that
almost everything PS does, GIMP does. And the gap between
functions is narrowing all the time.

that's not even remotely close to being true. photoshop does a *lot*
more than the gimp and the gap is *growing*, not shrinking. people who
think that the gimp is essentially a free version of photoshop are
simply unfamiliar of what photoshop can actually *do*. and it's not
just a feature checklist; as i said before, there are a lot of little
things that make working in photoshop more productive.

I don't think GIMP is a free version of PS. And I said I'm not
bashing PS, unlike you who /are/ bashing GIMP. I'm sure you have
reasons behind your opinions, and that's fine.

My comment about the closing gap was based on the most common
complaints about GIMP - colour bit depth, and probably
adjustment layers. The development versions are working on
these IIUC. And the interface, the other common complaint from
people who have never used it before, is also improving as it
develops.

If you read, and understood, the other parts of my post that you
cut out, unattributed BTW, you will remember why I am using GIMP
and that I said in different circumstances I'd probably use PS.

For me to pick up PS now and try to re-learn photo-editing would
be unproductive /for/ /me/. I know GIMP well enough now to do
pretty much everything I want or need to do. Why would I go
backwards?

Of course, if you already know PS you will be able to use its
tools productively.

If you're on a tight budget, haven't used either, are only an
amatuer/hobbyist photographer, and aren't afraid of learning by
using or going online for help, I'd recommend GIMP. It worked
for me.

If you've got the money, have little patience or persistence, or
need to produce professional high quality prints, get PS or some
other commercial product.

I think you're seeing an argument from me that isn't there.

Calm down.

Peace.

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.
Old September 4th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

nospam wrote:

and cs4 debuts in three weeks
with a plethora of new features that gimp doesn't have.

You're not allowed to say that 'cause it's not fair to Gimp.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 4th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Troy Piggins[_18_]

* nospam wrote :
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

[...]

Cool. How much will it cost you?

And how much did you spend on previous versions of PS/CS that you
now throw away because of upgrades? Hope the "plethora" is worth
it.

Gimp users will still be able to produce the same end product,
which is what it's all about really.

Old September 4th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Me wrote:

Operations that can be done with PS elements while in 16 bit colour mode
were very limited last time I looked at it - so if fully editing in 16
bit colour-space is needed, then full price PS is also needed.

Not quite true. You do what you can at 16 b (which is not 'very'
limited, just some ops/filters are 8b). Convert to 8 b for the
remaining steps. Imperfect. But not as imperfect as gimp (at present).

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old September 4th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Troy Piggins wrote:

For me to pick up PS now and try to re-learn photo-editing would
be unproductive /for/ /me/. I know GIMP well enough now to do
pretty much everything I want or need to do. Why would I go
backwards?

Of course, if you already know PS you will be able to use its
tools productively.

Again, I have to re-iterate. Every once in a while (12 - 18 months) I
DL gimp to perform a very straightforward series of operations on an
image. These are SO straightforward as to not require much time in
learning anything. And no there were no 'other' ways to do these
things. See the list of operations...

And yet, even for that, it takes more movements of the mouse, more
clicks than PS and as said many times, the most critical step before
saving the print version: the USM is very awkward to use as file sizes
get larger.

Again: a very straightforward set of steps (see earlier post for
description).

If these somewhat simple steps take, let's say 20% more moves and
clicks, then what will happen in more advanced work. Will it get easier
and simpler... somehow I don't think so.

(And by the way, I have printed results from gimp at 8x12. I mean the
work was done, so why not... [that goes back a few versions at that...]).

The OP wanted opinions on GIMP.

He got mine: Don't w/o trying Elements (for free) too.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.