Nikon DX vs Full Frame 70-300mm

Old September 13th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

Default Nikon DX vs Full Frame 70-300mm

"Richard Palush" wrote in message
news:aYSdnZvWJaqmJ1fVnZ2dnUVZ_tzinZ2d@powerusenet. com...
Helllo,

Quick question on quality or sharpness when using the 70-300mm VR.
Is there a difference using this lens on the D700 vs D90. I know
initally the D90 Crops and the image looks closer - but when
cropping with the D700 do you get the same result? I thought I read
after cropping the image is same. Any thoughts from you guys?

I plan on using the D700 with the 24-70 and the D90 with the 70-300
VR - this should cover most of what I need, I either shoot wide or
all out, so missing 70 to 100 shouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks, Rick

You should dump the 70-300mm VR and replace it with a far superior
80-400mm Nikon VR. These are readily available at only abot $1000.

Old September 13th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:41:25 -0400, Frank Arthur wrote:

I plan on using the D700 with the 24-70 and the D90 with the 70-300
VR - this should cover most of what I need, I either shoot wide or
all out, so missing 70 to 100 shouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks, Rick

You should dump the 70-300mm VR and replace it with a far superior
80-400mm Nikon VR. These are readily available at only abot $1000.

Bad advice for most people. They both have ED glass and the
70-300mm VR is highly rated, much better optically than previous
non-VR versions. The 80-400mm may have a very slight optical edge
but it has several drawbacks.

1. It's readily available for triple the price of the 70-300mm lens
at $1,400 to $1,500 new (not $1,000). Less for a risky used lens
that won't have Nikon's 5 year warranty.

2. It requires larger, more expensive 77mm filters.

3. It's larger and twice the weight, nearly 3 pounds. Add that to
the D700's weight and you've got a nice anchor to carry around.

4. With its SWM (Silent Wave Motor) the 70-300mm lens is a snappy
performer. The 80-400mm lens relies on the camera for AF, and even
with the D700's relatively powerful focusing motor, the 80-400mm's
gearing makes it one of the slowest (if not *the* slowest) focusing
lens Nikon offers. OK for landscapes, portraits and some other
types of photography, but a real drawback for sports, BIF and other
similar types of action photography. It's not useless for action
photography, but it'll miss many shots that the 70-300mm wouldn't.

5. The 80-400mm VR lens seems to be the one most Nikon users
want/expect to be upgraded in the near future to get a SWM and
better lens coatings. If this happens, it's likely to also get
Nikon's improved VR II, making this a bad time to get one. If the
new version actually is introduced, the current version should drop
several hundred dollars in price.