Old March 28th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bruce[_3_]

Default Loading 120 film onto reels

I am just getting into 120 format B/W film processesing. The problem I am
having is loading the film onto the reel. I have done a lot of 35 mm
processing in the past and didn't have a big problem with loading the reels,
however I find the 120 format to be a lot more difficult. The main problem
seems to be the paper backing and the stiffer base, or "curliness", of the
120 film. The reel I am using has a spring type clip.

Anybody have some tips for doing this? Should I cut the film off of the
paper reel first? Would it make sense to unroll the first part of the film
and clip it on (in reduced light of course) and then roll on the rest of the
reel? If so how do I stop the rest of the spool from unreeling while I am
clipping the leader on? Also I have seen the the past these "ratchet" type
reels, are these a better alternative?

I suspect the answer is practice makes perfect, I have a sacrificial roll of
film I am practicing with, but that first step of clipping onto the reel is
a bear! Even with the lights on it is a pain to do it, in the dark it is
much worse.

Old March 28th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ken Hart[_3_]

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

I start by separating the film from the paper backing. I tear the tape. I
insert the tape end under the spring clip. It is critical to get it centered
in the clip. I find that starting with the taped end makes it easier because
of the increased stiffness.

Bow the film slightly and roll it on. If the film consistently gives a
problem, the reel may be out of alignment. Was it ever dropped? I have never
successfully "re-aligned" a reel-- I have a collection of reels that I've
dropped that I use for Christmas tree decorations!

Some people swear by the 'rachet' type plastic reels. They must be bone-dry
when you load them. You may find them easier, but they are not a cure-all. I
use both the plastic and the metal types, depending on how many rolls I have
to process-- my largest metal tank only holds two 120 rolls.

Practice is the key. And once you get the film centered in the clip,
everythng else should be easy. I wouldn't bother with the idea of starting
the film in reduced light-- too much risk there.

Old March 29th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Remove the paper backing.

Grasp the loose end with one hand, then with the other hand lightly cup to
capture the spool, and pull the paper off. Then take the film at the end
where it is adhered and peal the paper off. I drop the paper backing and
spool on the floor until all the film is loaded.

Enjoy!

Old March 29th 08, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Ken Hart" wrote in message

insert the tape end under the spring clip. It is critical to get it
centered in the clip. I find that starting with the taped end makes it
easier because of the increased stiffness.

Yes. I forgot that. OP - do what Ken says.

Old March 29th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ken Hart[_3_]

jjs wrote in message ...

"Ken Hart" wrote in message

insert the tape end under the spring clip. It is critical to get it
centered in the clip. I find that starting with the taped end makes it
easier because of the increased stiffness.

Yes. I forgot that. OP - do what Ken says.

And I forgot to mention the part about dropping the paper backing and film
spool (not the developing reel, but the spool the film came on). Actually, I
like to toss it across the room, and by the sound it makes, guess what it
hit!

Also, practicing in the light is a good idea, but if you were to ask me to
load a developing reel in full light, I'm not sure I could do it!

If you get little crescent moon shaped dark spots on the negatives, you
kinked the film.

Old March 29th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Randy Stewart

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce,

Okay, I'll be the contrary opinion on this one.

First, among steel 120 reels, there is a world of difference between the
reels available out there.
The generic Japanese reels commmonly available in the photo stores [when
there were photo stores] are poorly designed, i.e. mostly junk [and I own a
buch of them] - "wire" too thin; spring clips irregular and way too
strong/tight. After trying many styles, I found that the older Nikor reels
have a "push in to catch" system which is easy and nearly fool-proof. See
ebay. The Hewes (?) reels [English; expensive] have a good reputation as
well. With any steel reel, practice in light, and then in the dark, is
necessary to get the technique down pat. You have to learn to feel with
your fingers how the film is loading.

I do not remove the spool or the paper backing, and I load from the loose
end of the roll. The spool and backing protect the unloaded film and give
you something to hang onto. If you cannot get the thing on the reel, you
can rewrap the roll light-tight until you find another reel or your temper.
The trick is all in getting the film centered on the reel and "caught" in
the center clip; any reel which is not damaged will load easily from that
point. Then tear off the paper backing at the other end of the loaded film
strip and chuck the paper and spool. [Bonus: since the film is already
loaded, who cares where you put the loose backing and spool.] First
unwraping the film roll and discarding the spool and backing lets the film
roll up like a window shade, to use the metaphor of another reply, but it
also invites emulsion sratches in that process as well has scratching the
edge of the roll across the emusion if you have to then struggle to get the
reel loaded.

Once you get good reels and the technique down, loading steel reels is much
less hassle than the "push and rock" system of plastic reels. However, if
your steel reels continue to frustrate your efforts, then go to the plastic
and get on with something more important that test driving a bunch of reels.

Randy Stewart

Old March 29th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mr. Strat

In article , Bruce
wrote:

I am just getting into 120 format B/W film processesing. The problem I am
having is loading the film onto the reel. I have done a lot of 35 mm
processing in the past and didn't have a big problem with loading the reels,
however I find the 120 format to be a lot more difficult. The main problem
seems to be the paper backing and the stiffer base, or "curliness", of the
120 film. The reel I am using has a spring type clip.

It takes some getting used to. I always used stainless steel reels, and
for loading, used a curved piece of stainless that I got with a tank or
somewhere...it's maybe three inches long and curved so that the film
fits into it, and you hold the the thing in your hand, and the film
goes onto the reel.

Anybody have some tips for doing this? Should I cut the film off of the
paper reel first? Would it make sense to unroll the first part of the film
and clip it on (in reduced light of course) and then roll on the rest of the
reel? If so how do I stop the rest of the spool from unreeling while I am
clipping the leader on? Also I have seen the the past these "ratchet" type
reels, are these a better alternative?

Paper reel?
Old March 29th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Ken Hart" wrote in message
And I forgot to mention the part about dropping the paper backing and film
spool (not the developing reel, but the spool the film came on).

When I had a staff photography positon we worked at least a couple hourse
everyday in the darkroom. .Every now and then someone would drop a 35mm
reel. When when one was sprung so that it was difficult to use again
(usually the case), we would take it to the parking lot (empty in the
evening) and throw it far into the air. Reels behave in a chaotic way when
they land. Sometimes one would bounce back at us in the freakiest of angles
and a crisis if one vectored to your eye. I guess that's why god gave us two
eyes, and photographers need only one, and no brain at tall.

Old March 29th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Bruce[_3_]

"Mr. Strat" wrote in message
In article , Bruce
wrote:

[...]

Oops, I meant the spool.

Thanks everyone for the input. What I decided to do is to remove the spring
clip entirely from the reel, and then fold over about a 1/2 inch section of
the film strip and use that to clip it onto one of the cross pieces on the
reel. That seems to work pretty well.