Why Are Lecia 6MP cameras so damn Expensive?

Old March 27th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Justin[_4_]

Default Why Are Lecia 6MP cameras so damn Expensive?

Is Lecia the Lamboghini of everything photographic? I understand they
make the best of the best when it comes to film based equipment but
$300+ for a 6MP camera while a Sony Cybershot comes in around $100?
What am I missing?
What does Leica have that nobody else does? Name?
Old March 27th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gerrit

What sort of lens does the Sony Cyber**** have?

Old March 27th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gerrit

"Gerrit" wrote in message

"Justin" wrote in message
Is Lecia the Lamboghini of everything photographic? I understand they
make the best of the best when it comes to film based equipment but $300+
for a 6MP camera while a Sony Cybershot comes in around $100?
What am I missing?
What does Leica have that nobody else does? Name?

What sort of lens does the Sony Cyber**** have?

oops Freudian slip. :-)

But, many years ago, in a dim dark analogue age Leica made lenses and
cameras with those lenses and they were acknowledged as among the best. At
the same time Kodak made the Instamatic camera range. Both manufacturers
used film in their cameras which were (most likely) made by the same
manufacturer of film. Leica was much better. Now in the digital age Leica
makes a camera with their lenses and uses a digital medium (sensor) to
record the image. Sony make cameras and use a digital medium (sensor) to
record the images. Both sensors are probably made by the same manufacturer.

I suggest you go away and but a cheap Sony just like the likes of you did in
the dim dark analogue age.

Old March 27th 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-03-26 19:55:12 -0700, Justin said:

Is Lecia the Lamboghini of everything photographic? I understand they
make the best of the best when it comes to film based equipment but
$300+ for a 6MP camera while a Sony Cybershot comes in around $100?
What am I missing?
What does Leica have that nobody else does? Name?

So get the Panasonic version and save a few bucks.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 28th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jufi[_3_]

"Justin" wrote in message
Is Lecia the Lamboghini of everything photographic? I understand they
make the best of the best when it comes to film based equipment but $300+
for a 6MP camera while a Sony Cybershot comes in around $100?
What am I missing?
What does Leica have that nobody else does? Name?

All the Leica digitals, save for one, the M8, and rebadged panasonics. The
only diffeence that I can see is the warranty. So yes, you're paying for a
name and an extended warranty. Same lens, same sensor, same body.

Old March 28th 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Savage

On 2008-03-28, Jufi wrote:

"Justin" wrote in message
What does Leica have that nobody else does? Name?

All the Leica digitals, save for one, the M8, and rebadged panasonics. The
only diffeence that I can see is the warranty. So yes, you're paying for a
name and an extended warranty. Same lens, same sensor, same body.

I hear tell that the Leicas have slightly different firmware, or default
'processing' settings. The murmur is never loud enough to distinguish
any real signal, and I've never used either.

Myself, without hands-on experience, I am convinced that you are right.
The only thing to distinguish a Leica from a Panasonic is the red dot.
That has always been a ridiculously expensive bit of paint.

--
Chris Savage Kiss me. Or would you rather live in a
Gateshead, UK land where the soap won't lather?
Old March 29th 08, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Justin[_4_]

On 2008-03-26 19:55:12 -0700, Justin said:

Is Lecia the Lamboghini of everything photographic? I understand they
make the best of the best when it comes to film based equipment but
$300+ for a 6MP camera while a Sony Cybershot comes in around $100?
What am I missing?
What does Leica have that nobody else does? Name?

So get the Panasonic version and save a few bucks.

What is the differences between the Panasonic and Leica models? Does
Panasonic rebadge their cameras, or does Leica rebadge?
Or does Panasonic supply the bodies and use Leica lenses?
Does Leica have more features? I don't understand. I'm looking at
compact point and shoot cameras - the size of the Sony DSC-W70.
Old March 29th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell

On 2008-03-26 19:55:12 -0700, Justin said:

Is Lecia the Lamboghini of everything photographic? I understand they
make the best of the best when it comes to film based equipment but
$300+ for a 6MP camera while a Sony Cybershot comes in around $100?
What am I missing?
What does Leica have that nobody else does? Name?

So get the Panasonic version and save a few bucks.

What is the differences between the Panasonic and Leica models? Does
Panasonic rebadge their cameras, or does Leica rebadge?
Or does Panasonic supply the bodies and use Leica lenses?
Does Leica have more features? I don't understand. I'm looking at
compact point and shoot cameras - the size of the Sony DSC-W70.

Panasonic owns Leica. The Panasonic and Leica cameras are functionally
identical. Typically the only differences are little things. A
Panasonic might have a molded plastic hand grip, have a black finish,
and some plastic controls, while the Leica will have a silver finish,
no handgrip, metal controls and cost $300 more.

See DPReview's comments here, for example:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leicadigilux2/

The Sony DSC-W70 and other cameras of that class are all almost
identical in function and performance. You can spend a lot more and get
no better picture quality. Unless some particular camera has a feature
you really need, shop on price.

Old March 29th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Savage

On 2008-03-29, C J Campbell wrote:

Panasonic owns Leica.

Really? When did that happen?

I know Matsu****a/Panasonic has licences to the Leica brand, and Leica
Camera AG are permanently on the verge of liquidation, but I don't remember
any announcement of a Matsu****a takeover.

Old March 29th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Justin[_4_]

On 2008-03-26 19:55:12 -0700, Justin
said:

[...]

That last bit I have to disagree. I have a W70 and I bought an Olympus
FE-290 - the Sony kicked its ass. I took the Olympus back to the store.
I don't want to start a Sony vs. ** argument but that was my result.
I has a Canon SD400 - perfect performence but I gave it to a friend in
in Iraq (with a 2G card). Hope he brings a few interesting pictures home.
So right now to update my Cameras, I'm looking at the Canon A650is, the
smaller Sony's and now the Panasonic Lumix.
But I want something decent because nothing was worse than having lousy
pictures of an event that only happens once. These are my memories.

Regarding the Sony Vs. Olympus - the difference was night and day. I
actually went back home, grabbed the Some, and carried both around the
rest of the event taking a pic with each to compare.
So we'll see. I dunno, I probably opened a can of worms here.