Canon EF-S 10-22mm VS Sigma 10-20mm - Which one to buy?

Old October 27th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dave[_14_]

Default Canon EF-S 10-22mm VS Sigma 10-20mm - Which one to buy?

I'm going to buy one of these lenses for my Canon 30D:
- Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Autofocus
Lens - for $675
OR
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens
- for $500

So far I've only bought Canon as i rely on their anti-shake
technology, however neither of these lenses have it built in - so I'm
considering buying my 1st Sigma lens (as it almost 200 bones
cheaper).

Could anyone make suggestions as to which lens they prefer and why? I
would especially like to hear of testimonials from one or both lenses
if possible.

thanks so much, dave

Old October 27th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank ess

Dave wrote:
I'm going to buy one of these lenses for my Canon 30D:
- Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Autofocus
Lens - for $675
OR
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Autofocus
Lens
- for $500

So far I've only bought Canon as i rely on their anti-shake
technology, however neither of these lenses have it built in - so
I'm considering buying my 1st Sigma lens (as it almost 200 bones
cheaper).

Could anyone make suggestions as to which lens they prefer and why?
I would especially like to hear of testimonials from one or both
lenses if possible.

thanks so much, dave

I really like the Canon, the second lens I bought for use on a 20D.
I'd like it even better if I could use it on my 5D, bought a year and
a half later. I believe the Sigma (pretty good reviews IIRC) would fit
the 5D, and might have saved me buying yet another lens I really like,
the Canon 17-40.

--
Frank ess

Old October 27th 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Frank ess wrote:

I really like the Canon, the second lens I bought for use on a 20D. I'd
like it even better if I could use it on my 5D, bought a year and a half
later. I believe the Sigma (pretty good reviews IIRC) would fit the 5D,
and might have saved me buying yet another lens I really like, the Canon
17-40.

It will fit physically but you must set it to 15mm to cover the full
frame - which it can do. Anything shorter and you get a circle or
cut-off-corners circle picture.

Anyone intended to buy a 5D should consider the Sigma 12-24mm instead.

David
Old October 27th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Gartshore[_2_]

In article .com,
says...
I'm going to buy one of these lenses for my Canon 30D:
- Canon Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Autofocus
Lens - for $675
OR
- Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens
- for $500

So far I've only bought Canon as i rely on their anti-shake
technology, however neither of these lenses have it built in - so I'm
considering buying my 1st Sigma lens (as it almost 200 bones
cheaper).

Could anyone make suggestions as to which lens they prefer and why? I
would especially like to hear of testimonials from one or both lenses
if possible.

thanks so much, dave

I went into my local dealer to buy the Canon and was very surprised when
he suggested that I try the Sigma. Previously he had been solidly in
favour of the Canon lens in other focal lengths.. His opinion was that
the Sigma was the slightly better lens, not to mention signicantly
cheaper..

Anyway, I took a few shot with both and couldn't really see any
difference between them. (All shot at the 10mm end BTW..)

I've been very happy with the Sigma..

My other lenses are the 24-105L and the 100-400L for what it's worth..

Main thing is, which ever way you call it, be happy with your choice !

T.
Old October 27th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
flambe

The optical differences between lenses in this focal range from different
manufacturers are not great.
Hence I can see no reason to buy the Canon over the Sigma.
These lenses, particularly at the wide end, are not that easy to use because
of both distortion inherent to the focal length and the linear distortion of
the lenses themselves.
If you have a lens in the 18-55/70 range, once you get the ultra wide
compare the two lenses at equivalent focal lengths.
You may be surprised by what you see.

Old October 27th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve Dell

Check out the Tokina 12-24 F/4.

Very sharp. You don't need IS for these wide of a lens.

Steve

oups.com...

Old October 27th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
â–€Slack

http://www.rentglass.com/shop.aspx?type=Canon
--
Slack
Old October 27th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul J Gans

Steve Dell wrote:
Check out the Tokina 12-24 F/4.

Very sharp. You don't need IS for these wide of a lens.

I have the Tokina and can second this opinion.

BUT: it is not a full-frame lens. The Sigma is. So
if one is thinking about buying a full frame Canon in
the near future...

--
--- Paul J. Gans
Old October 27th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank ess

David Kilpatrick wrote:
Frank ess wrote:

I really like the Canon, the second lens I bought for use on a
20D. I'd like it even better if I could use it on my 5D, bought a
year and a half later. I believe the Sigma (pretty good reviews
IIRC) would fit the 5D, and might have saved me buying yet another
lens I really like, the Canon 17-40.

It will fit physically but you must set it to 15mm to cover the full
frame - which it can do. Anything shorter and you get a circle or
cut-off-corners circle picture.

Anyone intended to buy a 5D should consider the Sigma 12-24mm
instead.

Thanks, David.

I'd never tried it, actually, since I am such a scairdy-cat about all
those flipping and twisting things going on inside, and I thought I
remembered there was potentially disastrous stuff in the combination.
Still, the 17-40 works good in the range I need.

I neglected to post the URLs of my wide-angle demo albums,
illustrative but not definitive:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/72B40D6067A68E5 includes a link to some
20D items, as well.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/CD6607D885B4B82 opens in a 17-40 5D shot
that was used with three other similars in a tri-fold brochure,
includes a link to a couple more 10-22 images.

--
Frank ess

Old October 28th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

Frank ess wrote:

David Kilpatrick wrote:
Frank ess wrote:

I really like the Canon, the second lens I bought for use on a
20D. I'd like it even better if I could use it on my 5D, bought a
year and a half later. I believe the Sigma (pretty good reviews
IIRC) would fit the 5D, and might have saved me buying yet another
lens I really like, the Canon 17-40.

It will fit physically but you must set it to 15mm to cover the full
frame - which it can do. Anything shorter and you get a circle or
cut-off-corners circle picture.

Anyone intended to buy a 5D should consider the Sigma 12-24mm
instead.

Thanks, David.

I'd never tried it, actually, since I am such a scairdy-cat about all
those flipping and twisting things going on inside, and I thought I
remembered there was potentially disastrous stuff in the combination.

I'm a little confused here but I think he was talking about the Sigma.
The EF-S lenses will hit the mirror on anything but EF-S series cameras
I thought?

Greg

--
Ticketmaster and Ticketweb suck, but everyone knows that:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org

Dethink to survive - Mclusky