Lens profiling tool from Adobe ( for CS5 / LR / ACR ).

Old May 14th 10, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris H

Default Lens profiling tool from Adobe ( for CS5 / LR / ACR ).

In message
..com, Annika1980 writes
On May 10, 7:05*pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/l...r/?PID=3154956

Presumably one can make a profile of their lenses that Adobe doesn't
provide directly. *Profile data collected allow correction for geometric
distortion, lateral chromatic aberration and vignetting.

Alternately, wait a while for other enthusiasts to make the profiles,
then use those.

The number of test images can get large when a zoom is profiled. *(At
one site someone estimated it as:

1) Shoot (6 focal length positions) × (3 focus distance positions) × (4
aperture positions) = 72 image sets

2) They also recommend 9 images per set so that's 648 photos to create a
profile for one lens! Ouch!!

I didn't go looking to validate the above, but it certainly looks like a
labour of love...

--

Bye-Bye Dxo Optics.

I thought that but then I thought...

1) Shoot (6 focal length positions) × (3 focus distance positions) × (4
aperture positions) = 72 image sets
2) They also recommend 9 images per set so that's 648 photos to create a
profile for one lens! Ouch!!

That is a LOT of effort. Also I suspect none of us will be able to do it
to the same level of accuracy as dXo Optics. I would be suspect of any
profiles sent in by users.

Definitely Ouch!!

As for the comment re using the computers to design the lenses.... they
do hence I can get an 18-200 zoom with "acceptable" distortion that
would have not been possible 10 years ago.

Obviously the answer is not to buy an 18-200 zoom for 500GBP but to buy
6 pro lenses between 1000 - 3000 GBP each to cover the range.....

Until I win the lottery and can afford 20,000 GBP on lenses I will have
to make do with the 18-200 and dXo for under 1000 GBP.

I do get better glass when I can justify it but in the mean time the
super-zoom fills in the gaps.

Old May 14th 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-05-14 5:54 , Chris H wrote:

1) Shoot (6 focal length positions) × (3 focus distance positions) × (4
aperture positions) = 72 image sets
2) They also recommend 9 images per set so that's 648 photos to create a
profile for one lens! Ouch!!

That is a LOT of effort. Also I suspect none of us will be able to do it
to the same level of accuracy as dXo Optics. I would be suspect of any
profiles sent in by users.

Depends on the user and more importantly on how clear the procedure is
and accessible to the kind of user who will do this. The procedure
recommends several passes and I suspect that the Adobe tool uses that
for variance analysis as well as averaging. It may also have some
'nominal' target per the lens spec that also help to reject poor
measurement.

I'm trying to DL the tool but having a checksum error (other post).

When I manage it I'll do a profile on a FFL lens this weekend and see
how well the tool works at collecting the data. I haven't DL'd CS5 yet.
My usual 'delay' before DLing a new release.

Definitely Ouch!!

As for the comment re using the computers to design the lenses.... they
do hence I can get an 18-200 zoom with "acceptable" distortion that
would have not been possible 10 years ago.

Obviously the answer is not to buy an 18-200 zoom for 500GBP but to buy
6 pro lenses between 1000 - 3000 GBP each to cover the range.....

That depends on the obsession (and budget) of the buyer.

Until I win the lottery and can afford 20,000 GBP on lenses I will have
to make do with the 18-200 and dXo for under 1000 GBP.

I do get better glass when I can justify it but in the mean time the
super-zoom fills in the gaps.

I have a super zoom too: my feet.

--
gmail originated posts are filtered due to spam.