The good old days of rpd

Old July 25th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alienjones[_6_]

Default The good old days of rpd

Don Stauffer wrote:
I can remember when this was a relatively young newsgroup. By far the
majority of the messages involved arguments about which was better,
digital or film.

The good news is that those arguments have finally died out.

The bad news is that they have been replaced with the SLR vs P&S! Why
is it so important for some folks to WIN that argument. What great
prize goes to the winner?

The winner of the argument gets to fell pride at having spent
their money on the crappy piece of junk they don't know who to
use.
Old July 26th 09, 05:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Obvious

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:53:38 -0400, "David Ruether"
wrote:

"Don Stauffer" wrote in message ...

I can remember when this was a relatively young newsgroup. By far the majority of the messages involved arguments about which was
better, digital or film.

By then, this NG was quite old and "creaky"...;-) It was Nikon
vs. Canon earlier, and digital was but a twinkle in some engineers
eye, for use with P&S cameras using floppy disks. Who then would
have taken digital imaging seriously? ;-)

The good news is that those arguments have finally died out.

The bad news is that they have been replaced with the SLR vs P&S! Why is it so important for some folks to WIN that argument.
What great prize goes to the winner?

Dunno........;-)
--DR

Educating the deeply ignorant point and shoot DSLR-Troll proponents is its
own reward.

Old July 26th 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:53:38 -0400, David Ruether wrote:

I can remember when this was a relatively young newsgroup. By
far the majority of the messages involved arguments about which
was better, digital or film.

By then, this NG was quite old and "creaky"...;-) It was Nikon
vs. Canon earlier, and digital was but a twinkle in some engineers
eye, for use with P&S cameras using floppy disks. Who then would
have taken digital imaging seriously? ;-)

Me, for one. I shelved my Nikon SLRs nine years ago when I got
Canon's 2mp S10 and 3mp S20. Floppy disks? Don't forget those
big-little Hitachi and IBM 170MB and 340MB CF cards that contained
hard drives. I'm happy to have passed on them and stuck with cooler
running flash cards. The later Nikon vs. Canon wars weren't very
bloody, more like sophomoric razzing, sometimes good natured,
sometimes not. Much more brutal was the anti-Sigma mob mentality.
There was some of that too, but not quite to the same degree
regarding Olympus's 4/3 cameras. Something about those slightly
smaller sensors seemed to really irritate some of the more vocal
DSLR owners, who tended to be Canonistas, IIRC.

I won't say whether things are better or worse these days, but in
my opinion there are a lot of long threads that suck up too much of
the ng's activity and which serves little purpose. Often straying
from photography and cameras, not in the good sense of cameraderie
(sic), or friends just having an interesting discussion about
whatever, it's more often about arguing for its own sake, and
frequently not very pleasant. Here's an example from the first
thread I found where I hadn't downloaded any of its messages. I
just selected a reply at random from it, downloaded it, and this is
from the first one I looked at :

Then you clearly have no personal experience of the product, and your
views are therefore irrelevant.

If you could have justified your original conclusion with
logical discussion, you would have?

I did. Unfortunately, it would appear that the education system in
your country did not equip you to understand.

Ack! Glad I skipped that thread. And so it goes. Moderated
forums may not be quite as "free", but they're really effective in
filtering out such as SMS and the Anti-DSLR sock puppet trolls, both
of whom I notice are participating in this thread. The irony drips.

Old July 27th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oh The Reality Of It All

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:58:36 -0400, ASAAR wrote:

[...]

Yes, you need a safe and virtually-warm & virtually-fuzzy place to play out
your imaginary friendships, since nobody wants to ever know you in real
life. Just like you like to role-play your knowing anything about cameras
and photography. Pretend friends, pretend cameras, what's the difference to
a psychotic imaginary-life role-playing troll like you.

Old July 27th 09, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/26/09 7:07 PM, in article ,
"Oh The Reality Of It All" wrote:

[...]

The absolute definition of the term "projection" is in the paragraph
immediately above.

Old July 27th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oh The Reality Of It All

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:55:58 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

[...]

The absolute definition of the phrase "the shoe fits" is in the sentence
immediately above. Otherwise it wouldn't bother you in the least.

LOL

Old July 28th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 7/27/09 2:54 PM, in article ,
"Oh The Reality Of It All" wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 08:55:58 -0500, George Kerby
wrote:

On 7/26/09 7:07 PM, in article
,
[...]

Lol, yourself...

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Old July 28th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-07-15 06:54:59 -0700, Don Stauffer said:

I can remember when this was a relatively young newsgroup. By far the
majority of the messages involved arguments about which was better,
digital or film.

The good news is that those arguments have finally died out.

The bad news is that they have been replaced with the SLR vs P&S! Why
is it so important for some folks to WIN that argument. What great
prize goes to the winner?

I think there are really only a couple of people arguing over this.
Most of us have something better to do, like taking pictures.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 28th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Don Stauffer wrote:
I can remember when this was a relatively young newsgroup. By far the
majority of the messages involved arguments about which was better,
digital or film.

The good news is that those arguments have finally died out.

The bad news is that they have been replaced with the SLR vs P&S! Why
is it so important for some folks to WIN that argument. What great
prize goes to the winner?

I don't think anyone in the argument can be trying to win it, because
if they were they'd be using better arguments.

--
Chris Malcolm