Olympus shafts Dpreview!

Old October 17th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Default Olympus shafts Dpreview!

Yvon Travailler wrote:
[]
Would you give a preview camera to a site where you felt you would
get an unfair review?

did they ever do that ? If your answer is yes, can you tell us what
are those unfair reviews ?

I don't know about "unfair", but I've never seen a bad review. The
average rating is not "average", so why is that?

Do you own a Olympus ?

No.

I prefer to believe (like many others) that the E-3 is a piece of
**** and Olympus know it will get a bad review from any
professionnals reviewers.

They prefer to have no serious reviews and let the fanboys jump on
the new toy.

Time will tell, I suppose. I think the general level of information in D
P Review is good, so I hope they do choose to review the E3.

David

Old October 17th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Oct 17, 4:49 am, "Yvon Travailler" wrote:
"David J Taylor" a
écrit dans le message .uk...

Yvon Travailler wrote:
"Charlie Self" a écrit dans le message de
oups.com...
On Oct 16, 6:24 pm, RichA wrote:
Guess they saw the Canon bias too?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0710/07101603olympuse3.asp

UPDATE: Phil: Here we are at one minute past embargo and despite
being told very clearly that there were no cameras available for
preview we see at least one other site with a hands-on preview,
make of that what you will.

If Olympus did that on purpose, they might find they bit off a good
chunk of their own nose, your blather notwithstanding.

"Frankly if Olympus carry on in the way they have for the last month
or so you'll be lucky to see a review here."

Phil Askey
Editor, dpreview.com

Would you give a preview camera to a site where you felt you would get an
unfair review?

did they ever do that ? If your answer is yes, can you tell us what are
those unfair reviews ?

Do you own a Olympus ?

I prefer to believe (like many others) that the E-3 is a piece of **** and
Olympus know it will get a bad review from any professionnals reviewers.

They prefer to have no serious reviews and let the fanboys jump on the new
toy.- Hide quoted text -

Spoken like a clueless Canon owner slighted by the obvioius BIAS
pointed out concerning that review in Dpreview.

Old October 17th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvon Travailler

"Martin Trautmann" a écrit dans le message de
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:49:28 -0400, Yvon Travailler wrote:
They prefer to have no serious reviews and let the fanboys jump on the

new
toy.

Every serious reviewer would take a device, not offered from the
manufacturer, but as sold in any of the stores.

That's not possible for pre-reviews, while it is standard practice for
unbiased and independent reviewers.

I don't know whether Phil does take cameras out of the ordinary Amazon
stock - for most less important reviewer it's hardly possible to buy that
many cameras.

from what I know (read it from a Phil's post), they all send him a camera
for his tests and he is sending all them back after the review.

Old October 17th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvon Travailler

"David J Taylor" a
écrit dans le message de
. uk...
Yvon Travailler wrote:
[]
Would you give a preview camera to a site where you felt you would
get an unfair review?

did they ever do that ? If your answer is yes, can you tell us what
are those unfair reviews ?

I don't know about "unfair", but I've never seen a bad review. The
average rating is not "average", so why is that?

they are many threads about this, just do a search or ask again. According
to them, they dont review "below average" camera.

Thats kind of funny

Old October 17th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Yvon Travailler wrote:
"David J Taylor"
a écrit
dans le message de
. uk...
Yvon Travailler wrote:
[]
Would you give a preview camera to a site where you felt you would
get an unfair review?

did they ever do that ? If your answer is yes, can you tell us what
are those unfair reviews ?

I don't know about "unfair", but I've never seen a bad review. The
average rating is not "average", so why is that?

they are many threads about this, just do a search or ask again.
According to them, they dont review "below average" camera.

Thats kind of funny

It was a rhetorical question. I find it funny as well, because until
you've done the tests, how do you know the camera is "below average"? G

David

Old October 17th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charlie Self

On Oct 16, 6:24 pm, RichA wrote:
Guess they saw the Canon bias too?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0710/07101603olympuse3.asp

UPDATE: Phil: Here we are at one minute past embargo and despite
being told very clearly that there were no cameras available for
preview we see at least one other site with a hands-on preview,
make of that what you will.

If Olympus did that on purpose, they might find they bit off a good
chunk of their own nose, your blather notwithstanding.

"Frankly if Olympus carry on in the way they have for the last month
or so you'll be lucky to see a review here."

Phil Askey
Editor, dpreview.com

Would you give a preview camera to a site where you felt you would get an
unfair review?

If D P Review fails to review the camera, whatever sulks are now in
effect, they are failing their readers.

David

Nonsense. If they can't get a camera to review because Olympus has a
hair across, that's not DPReview's fault. And giving cameras to any
place that gives reviews is taking a chance on either an unfair
review, or one that misses some points. I tested woodworking tools for
magazines for a long time. Some companies where happy, some weren't.
Any of them that wanted their names in the article supplied tools for
testing. If they didn't, they got ignored. There's simply no other way
to do it when you're testing tools that are in what is now the mid-
range DSLR price category, say $1,000 up to about $2,000, plus
shipping and handling.

Old October 18th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvon Travailler

"David J Taylor" a
écrit dans le message de
.uk...
Yvon Travailler wrote:
"David J Taylor"
a écrit
dans le message de
. uk...
Yvon Travailler wrote:
[]
Would you give a preview camera to a site where you felt you would
get an unfair review?

did they ever do that ? If your answer is yes, can you tell us what
are those unfair reviews ?

I don't know about "unfair", but I've never seen a bad review. The
average rating is not "average", so why is that?

they are many threads about this, just do a search or ask again.
According to them, they dont review "below average" camera.

Thats kind of funny

It was a rhetorical question. I find it funny as well, because until
you've done the tests, how do you know the camera is "below average"? G

I bitched 2 or 3 times about the fact that there is not camera below
average. And most dpreview members didnt not agree with me. The word
average means nothing (or bottom low) on dpreview.

I asked someone in another post in this thread to give me 1 example of an
unfair review, Ill give you a real one:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pana...z50/page19.asp

FZ50 with a Highly Recommended, why do you think ? Panasonic are one (or
was) one of the biggest advertiser on dpreview.com.

From Simon conclusion:
a.. Noise reduction produces visible artefacts and loss of low contrast
detail even at low ISO (and noise if you don't use NR) if viewed at 100%
(actual pixels)
a.. ISO 400 and above very soft and smeary due to excessive NR
a.. Bleeding of colors (particularly reds) at high ISOs (excessive chroma
sub sampling)

Its a camera god damn it and it gives crappy IQ, how come it gets Highly
Recommended ?????

There is noise at ISO 80 with this camera ! lol.

Again from Simom: "
And so what we have is a camera that stretches its sensor to almost breaking
point and compensates for the lack of sensitivity in anything but the
brightest conditions by using excessive noise reduction. The FZ50 is an
excellent 5 or 6MP camera, but a rather less impressive 10MP camera. Is this
a problem? Probably not - by the time the huge files have been shrunk down
for printing or viewing on-screen they look fantastic, and the handling and
features are quite simply peerless. But do not, for a minute, think that the
10 million pixels you're getting with the FZ50 bear anything but a passing
resemblance to the 10 million pixel images you'll get from a good SLR once
you get above ISO 100, or once light levels start to drop.

The FZ50 - at around $570 - sits halfway between the likes of the Canon S3
IS (currently about $370) and a digital SLR kit with lenses covering a
similar range (at least $1000 - more if you want quality lenses, a lot more
if you want image stabilization). For the serious user wanting more than the
other super zooms can offer (particularly in terms of handling and
photographic features) it offers a real alternative to lugging round a
larger, heavier camera and a couple of lenses. And not actually being an SLR
you get the advantages of live preview on a tilting screen, movie mode, no
dust on the sensor and so on. Of course this has to be countered with the
fact that the SLR will give you immeasurably better high ISO performance, a
better viewfinder and the versatility of interchangeable lenses. But them's
the choices we make."

Rofl

ITS A CAMERA , IQ is suppose to be important !

Old October 18th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvon Travailler

On Oct 16, 6:24 pm, RichA wrote:
[...]

===================

They could do like Photozone, get the hardware by themselves. Phil could
started the review saying that Olympus refused to sent him a E-3.

Old October 18th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
â–€Slack

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:10:52 -0700, Pete D wrote:

I have taken Phil to task over other reviews and info that he just
leaves off the list of
features to make cameras look worse than they should be, he is simply
dishonest
Pete

Can you please provide an example?
--
Slack
Old October 18th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Yvon Travailler

"Pete D" a écrit dans le message de

They prefer to have no serious reviews and let the fanboys jump on

the
new
toy.
I'm not convinced any review on dpreview would be a fair review. They
show

clear bias toward Canon, which stands out like dog-balls (seems only
Canon
fanboi's don't see it). There was recent discussion about a sony vs

ixus
review on dpreview. The Sony images were sharper, had more detail, less
noise, yet dpreview initially claimed they were worse than the Canon.

After
being taken to task over it, they modified the text to say they were
basically equal.

so your an Olympus fanboy who have 1 exemple to give ? lol

I am no Olympus fan but what Doug says about the Sony v Canon review is
completely true, I was quite amazed by the obvious bias. I have taken Phil
to task over other reviews and info that he just leaves off the list of
features to make cameras look worse than they should be, he is simply
dishonest and as Doug says only a Canon Fanboi would not see this. His
answer I guess is that the review is what he sees as the truth.

Ill take a look at that review tonite.

I am currently shooting with a Pentax K10D but I love Canon and Nikon a lot
more than Pentax.

I used to shoot Canon before (and Nikon before Canon) and Ill probably go
back to Canon in 2008 (depends of the D300).

You cant say Im a fanboy since I switched 2 times (Nikon, Canon , Pentax)
in 4 years. Beeing honest to myself, Canon is the worst company of all 3,
but it gaves me the best picture for my money.

Picture quality, the K10D, in daylight with a non moving subject is hard to
beat if you shoot raw. For the rest (low light, sports, kids, built in
flash, jpg), go with Canon.

Ill never try a 4/3 camera and Ill never try a Sony.

I did my own tests, I had a lot of fun and now Ill choose between Canon and
Nikon as soon as the D300 comes out.

Hope this will be my last move for years.

dpreview Joe Pak Digital SLR Cameras 216 December 7th 06 05:34 PM
Dpreview will not be reviewing the Olympus E-400 RichA Digital SLR Cameras 0 October 30th 06 03:28 AM
DPreview Marc Down Digital SLR Cameras 2 September 30th 06 12:42 PM
DPReview down? john Digital SLR Cameras 2 August 18th 05 04:32 PM