Now THIS is what I call a pose...

Old June 4th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
John McWilliams

Default Now THIS is what I call a pose...

Robert Coe wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:28:26 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote:
: :
: : I see good things ahead for this new body...
:
: Well, at upwards of $8000, it damn well ought to be good, right? ;^)
:
: No, it's only US$4500....

My error. I was thinking of the 16.7 MP version, the 1DS, the (20 MP?) Mark
III version of which apparently isn't out yet (an inference derived from B&H's
Web site, which would be expected to list it, but doesn't). A natural mistake;
I normally have no reason whatever to poke around the rarefied world of the
1D. :^|

Well, I think you gotta throw in the new lens, that little 500mm one....
So, upwards of 8k sounds right!

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 4th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:18:57 -0400, Robert Coe wrote:
: On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:28:26 +0900, "David J. Littleboy"
: wrote:
: :
: : "Robert Coe" wrote:
: : :
: : : I see good things ahead for this new body...
: :
: : Well, at upwards of $8000, it damn well ought to be good, right? ;^)
: :
: : No, it's only US$4500....
:
: My error. I was thinking of the 16.7 MP version, the 1DS, the (20 MP?)
: Mark III version of which apparently isn't out yet (an inference derived
: from B&H's Web site, which would be expected to list it, but doesn't).
: A natural mistake; I normally have no reason whatever to poke around the
: rarefied world of the 1D. :^|

BTW, I see that B&H has the Mark III back ordered. A lot of people must be
shelling out the $4500 - or trying to.

Bob
Old June 4th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 13:54:05 -0700, Annika1980 wrote:
: On Jun 3, 4:23 pm, wrote:
:
: In all good conscience, I can't eat meat Bill. I know it has protein
: and vitamins you just can't get from another source. But I've seen
: how the animals are treated and slaughtered and it doesn't sit well
: with me.
: Helen
:
: Then you probably wouldn't want to come around my crib on Saturday
: nights cause that's when I'm usually out back cooking some big fat NY
: strips on the grill.

Let me know when it's time for your sextuple coronary bypass. I can give you
some helpful advice on how to get through rehab.

Bob
Old June 4th 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 14:24:33 -0700, "William Graham" wrote:
:
: "Alan Browne" wrote in message
: ...
: I have nothing at all against meat (at least for "animal rights" reasons).
: Most "anti seal hunt" types do eat meat. The problem with reating meat is
: it's incredibly inefficient in energy and pollution terms.
:
: Yeah, but it isn't our fault.....I would blame "God" for it, if I believed
: there was such a thing. - I have to admit, that I think the only excuse for
: killing seals is if you are an Eskimo and eat the meat. I think killing them
: so some Madison Avenue chick in NYC can wear them on her hands is rather
: obscene.

Or a chick in Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver. It is, after all, in Canada
that most of the seals are clubbed.

Bob
Old June 4th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark²

wrote:

"Robert Coe" wrote:

I see good things ahead for this new body...

Well, at upwards of $8000, it damn well ought to be good, right?
;^)

No, it's only US$4500....

My error. I was thinking of the 16.7 MP version, the 1DS, the (20
MP?) Mark III version of which apparently isn't out yet (an
inference derived from B&H's Web site, which would be expected to
list it, but doesn't).
A natural mistake; I normally have no reason whatever to poke around
the rarefied world of the 1D. :^|

BTW, I see that B&H has the Mark III back ordered. A lot of people
must be shelling out the $4500 - or trying to.

That's an understatement.
Hunt's Photo had over 300 PRE-paid orders!
How many did they actually receive from Canon? -18 bodies...and that was
more than most shops received. I was number 14 on their list, so I got mine
right away. B&H received 125, and they sold out every single unit in LESS
than 30 minutes!

I tried to tell those who said things like, "Who will really buy this body?"
that they were kidding themselves...that this will likely be the
fastest-selling top-tier body in years...and it is.
The problem now is that Canon is having trouble keeping up. It's
understandable, since they *really did* start from the ground up on this
body.

When things calm down for me, I'll write an extensive impression post...
But suffice it to say, this is an amazing machine with VERY significant
advances over its predecessors.

Mark²
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 4th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Jun 3, 7:57 pm, "Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:

When things calm down for me, I'll write an extensive impression post...
But suffice it to say, this is an amazing machine with VERY significant
advances over its predecessors.

Hmmmm.......
It occurs to me that you'll have little use for that old 5D now.
Old buddy, old pal ......

Old June 4th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:30:22 -0700, "Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
: On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 23:44:44 -0700, "Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even
: number wrote:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856448/original
:
: Now if Skip Middleton could just get his nudie beauties to strike
: this pose...he'd be in business!
:
: Here's the same little female--with the most expressive face I've
: ever seen on a wild animal:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856449/original
:
: The above shots were both taken at 1000 ISO using the 1D Mark III.
:
: I hope you at least threw her a fish, since it's obvious that you
: didn't bother to get her to sign a model release.
:
: The following was shot at **2000 ISO**, but you'd NEVER guess that to
: look at the original.
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/79856450/original
:
: It was quite dark, as I didn't get to the area until nearly 7:30PM,
: and also very overcast. I used a bit of fill flash from the 580EX
: II. The 1D3 made shooting at high ISO truly worry-free. So far,
: its high ISO performance has been amazing. It is *at least* as good
: as my 5D, which most would agree has the lowest noise at high ISO of
: any camera yet made...
:
: I see good things ahead for this new body...
:
: Well, at upwards of $8000, it damn well ought to be good, right? ;^)
:
:
: True, but the camera doesn't "take good pictures" by itself...

Indeed. But you were bragging about your new camera, not your photographic
skills. ;^)

: These magnificent cameras assume you know what you're doing...
: ...which is why many rich newbies with a lot of cash by them...and then
: wonder why their pictures still stink (Ducking, as the mud-slingers prepare
: to bomb that set-up line...).

No such mudslinger I. I'm a strong believer that better equipment makes any
photographer better (a sentiment that you obviously share, or you wouldn't
have bought a 1D3), but that no amount of equipment can make an ignorant,
lazy, or utterly untalented photographer good. My own case bears that out (or
at least doesn't contradict it). I got some reasonably good pictures with my
Canon G-5, but moved up to an XTi because I found the G-5's response time
inadequate for action photos of my grandchildren. After seven months I've
learned the XTi well enough to get pictures that are arguably better than
those I got with the G-5. OTOH, my daughter, a far more talented child
photographer than I am, does just fine with her 2-year-old Canon P&S and sees
no reason to change.

My son, whose field of expertise is automobiles, not cameras, makes the same
point you do about rich newbies who buy expensive racing cars and then wreck
them by their ineptitude and incompetence. The difference, of course, is that
they're a threat to other drivers, not just to the family fortune.

Your thread about the seals has morphed into a debate on the ethics of eating
meat. But those of who like good pictures enjoyed seeing what you and your new
camera can do. :^)

Bob
Old June 4th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
â–€Slack

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 23:44:44 -0700, Mark² mjmorgan wrote:

[...]

-Mark²

Great snaps! BTW, that first one has the most perfect bokeh I've ever
seen.

I need to rob bank... or two.
--
Slack
Old June 4th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:57:31 -0700, "Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:
: I tried to tell those who said things like, "Who will really buy this body?"
: that they were kidding themselves...that this will likely be the
: fastest-selling top-tier body in years...and it is.
: The problem now is that Canon is having trouble keeping up. It's
: understandable, since they *really did* start from the ground up on this
: body.

Well, you wouldn't want them to sacrifice quality control to get more units
out faster. Some companies, faced with a similar demand for one of their
products, might do precisely that. One hopes that it would be a losing
strategy.

Canon must be doing pretty well. My impression is that the
XTi/400D/[whatever_they_call_it_in_Japan] is also selling better than they
might have expected.

Bob
Old June 4th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

: wrote:
:
: When things calm down for me, I'll write an extensive impression post...
: But suffice it to say, this is an amazing machine with VERY significant
: advances over its predecessors.
:
: Hmmmm.......
: It occurs to me that you'll have little use for that old 5D now.
: Old buddy, old pal ......

You expect Mark to go into a shoot without a spare? After all, he won't be
able to get a second Mark III until the factory catches up. You'd better come
up with a pretty good offer!

Bob