best site to obtain public domain images

Old January 26th 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

Default best site to obtain public domain images

Pixabay seems to be one of the best sites to obtain high-quality
images that can be used freely.

https://pixabay.com/en/editors_choice/

I've noticed that they only accept images starting at something
like 6 MP (at least 3000 pixels in width).
Is it likely they will bump that lower limit even more in the
future? Surely people are not going to print these pictures to
fill up entire walls?
I'd reckon 2 or 3 megapixel images should still be fairly useful
for many purposes if they are good pictures.

Thinking in particular of finding images useful to create digital
collages:

https://i.imgur.com/GiJFTRw.jpg
Old January 27th 19, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
arlen holder

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 14:57:17 -0800 (PST), sobriquet wrote:

Pixabay seems to be one of the best sites to obtain high-quality
images that can be used freely.

Hi sobriquet,
I remember you from the mobile phone newsgroup.
You're an adult, so it's worth spending effort with you.

I first admit I know nothing about the topic.
So others with EXPERIENCE will come in, I'm sure, to help you.

Meanwhile, I did a bit of googling to wee which come out on top in reviews.

o 17 Sites for Finding Free Public Domain Images
o https://www.webfx.com/blog/web-design/sites-public-domain-images/
1. PublicDomainArchive
2. Pixabay
3. The Public Domain Review
4. Unsplash
5. New Old Stock
6. My Public Domain Pictures
7. PDPics
8. Picdrome
9. Public Domain Photos
10. Good Free Photos
11. Flickr: The Commons
12. Wikimedia Commons Public Domain Category
13. Little Visuals
14. Phototeria
15. The Public Domain
16. Gratisography
17. Viintage.com

Let's see if there's a Venn Diagram overlap in the next set.

o 7 Best Sites to Get Free Public Domain Photos
o https://brandongaille.com/7-best-sites-to-get-free-public-domain-photos/
1. SplitShire
2. Gratisography
3. Snapographic
4. New Old Stock
5. Unsplash
6. Life of Pix
7. Picjumbo

Well there.
That's not a lot of overlap.

Moving on...

o 31 free public domain image websites (use with care)
o https://99designs.com/blog/resources/public-domain-image-resources/
Let's take just the top dozen in the list
1. Wikimedia Commons
2. Unsplash
3. Flickr Commons
4. Public Domain Pictures
5. Magdeleine
6. Old Book Illustrations
7. ISO Republic
8. Public Domain Vectors
9. 1 Million Free Pictures
10. Free Stock Photos
11. Jay Mantri
12. Realistic Shots
(I skipped the rest.)

Still, not a whole lot of overlap - which isn't a good thing.

This list is _exactly_ the same as that above:
o Top 35 Free Public Domain Image Websites
https://www.designhill.com/design-blog/top-free-public-domain-image-websites/

Let's try this one:
o Where to download free stock photos and public domain images
o https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/where-to-download-public-domain-images/

I just skimmed these articles to see which come out on top the most:
1. Creative Commons
2. Every Stock Photo
3. Wikimedia Commons
4. Flickr (huh?)
5. IM Free
6. Unsplash
7. Dreamstime
8. Death to Stock Photos
9. NASA
10. Pexels

Well, some of those are topic specific.
Moving on, let's try to see if we can get overlap consensus.

o 65+ Sites To Find Awe-Inspiring Public Domain Images & Clipart For Your Blog + Social Media Posts For FREE]
http://shaebaxter.com/public-domain-images/
1. Pond5 - The Public Domain Project
2. Pixabay
3. Flickr Commons
4. Unsplash
5. PublicDomainPictures.net
6. Free Stock Photos
7. Photos Public Domain
8. PDPICS.com
9. StockSnap.io
10. Phototeria
11. New Old Stock
12. Gratisography
(I skipped the rest.)

Well, what comes up the most?

Shows up five times:
Unsplash

Shows up four times:
Flickr Commons

Shows up three times:
Gratisography
New Old Stock
Wikimedia Commons

Shows up twice:
Free Stock Photos
PDPics
Phototeria
Pixabay
Public Domain Pictures

Shows up just once:
1 Million Free Pictures
Creative Commons
Death to Stock Photos
Dreamstime
Every Stock Photo
IM Free
ISO Republic
Jay Mantri
Life of Pix
Little Visuals
Magdeleine
My Public Domain Pictures
NASA
Old Book Illustrations
Pexels
Photos Public Domain
Picdrome
Picjumbo
Pond5 - The Public Domain Project
Public Domain Photos
Public Domain Vectors
PublicDomainArchive
Realistic Shots
Snapographic
SplitShire
StockSnap.io
The Public Domain
The Public Domain Review
Viintage.com
(Note: They may show up more depending on how they spell them.)

Given that, the FIRST HALF DOZEN I'd consider checking out might be:
1. Unsplash
2. Flickr Commons
3. Gratisography
4. New Old Stock
5. Wikimedia Commons
6. Free Stock Photos
NOTE: That wasn't scientific; it was just a quick skim & then a sort.
(I was _only_ seeking Venn Diagram overlap!)

Sometimes that works if a clear winner exists.
Often it fails if there is no clear winner.

https://pixabay.com/en/editors_choice/

This site, Pixabay, did come up high in the list of some.

Good luck.
Please let us know what you learn from the effort so that every thread
benefits everyone. Thanks!
Old January 27th 19, 11:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 6:09:21 AM UTC+1, arlen holder wrote:
[...]

Yes, unsplash also seems pretty good.
Some sites like flickr commons seem to be targeted mostly at graphic and
historic work.
At least, that's the impression I get from running a typical search
for something like "pattern texture"

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...s_commons=true

Other sites like pixabay and unsplash yield a more varied and expected result searching for those same terms:

https://unsplash.com/search/photos/pattern-texture

https://pixabay.com/en/photos/pattern%20texture/

It seems that many of those public domain photo sites look like clones of each other and you can often find the same pics on multiple sites.
Old January 27th 19, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 22:57:17 -0000, sobriquet wrote:

Pixabay seems to be one of the best sites to obtain high-quality
images that can be used freely.

https://pixabay.com/en/editors_choice/

I've noticed that they only accept images starting at something
like 6 MP (at least 3000 pixels in width).
Is it likely they will bump that lower limit even more in the
future? Surely people are not going to print these pictures to
fill up entire walls?
I'd reckon 2 or 3 megapixel images should still be fairly useful
for many purposes if they are good pictures.

Thinking in particular of finding images useful to create digital
collages:

https://i.imgur.com/GiJFTRw.jpg

I've always use Google image search, which finds stuff from other sites anyway. You can specify what size you need, and select if you want public domain photos or not. There are quite a lot of options in the menu at the top.
Old January 28th 19, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 3:06:21 PM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

Maybe some sites prevent google from exploring their collection.

For instance, pixabay has lots of "sand texture" pictures and
they are free to use/adapt. But when I search in google for
pictures using those same keywords, no results from pixabay are
coming up.

Not that google images isn't very useful as well to obtain
public domain pictures, I'm just curious what governs the
decisions behind the scenes which affect whether or not images
show up in the search results.

https://pixabay.com/en/photos/sand%20texture/

https://tinyurl.com/yb6kt5tt

https://www.google.com/search?q=sand...&bih=599&dpr=1
Old January 29th 19, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 22:30:22 -0000, sobriquet wrote:

[...]

Google takes bribes from all over the place. It's why they're so rich. You can pay to get your search results at the top, or to hide them completely. They're also in cahoots with China to censor Tibet. Untrustworthy buggers to say the least.
Old January 29th 19, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 12:07:47 AM UTC+1, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

One downside of google is that you often get fake search results.
The image it shows looks nice with a good resolution, but then
when you try to open it, you have to hack your way to actually
reach a good resolution version of the image (like using the
F12 key in Chrome to reveal a link to the image in the source
code of the website after opening the link to the page associated
with the image in a new tab).

For instance this one, which shows a dodgy preview of an image that supposedly is 3008x2000 resolution:

https://i.imgur.com/2r9gyql.png

And upon right-clicking to open the image in a new tap, you get to see
a crap version at low resolution, where you'd expect to get a high-res version:

https://i.imgur.com/s7CzXXi.png
Old January 29th 19, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Tuesday, January 29, 2019 at 5:45:42 PM UTC+1, sobriquet wrote:
[...]

With the F12 trick you can find the actual high res version:

https://get.pxhere.com/photo/sand-wo...ring-74983.jpg

But it's a bit of a cumbersome hassle to go through all the extra hoops.

https://images2.imgbox.com/eb/27/tH7sfQmR_o.jpg
Old January 30th 19, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Anonymous Remailer (austria)

In article
sobriquet wrote:

Pixabay seems to be one of the best sites to obtain high-quality
images that can be used freely.

https://pixabay.com/en/editors_choice/

I've noticed that they only accept images starting at something
like 6 MP (at least 3000 pixels in width).
Is it likely they will bump that lower limit even more in the
future? Surely people are not going to print these pictures to
fill up entire walls?
I'd reckon 2 or 3 megapixel images should still be fairly useful
for many purposes if they are good pictures.

Thinking in particular of finding images useful to create digital
collages:

https://i.imgur.com/GiJFTRw.jpg

It should be noted that Pixabay has changed their license from CC0
to "Pixabay License" as of January 1, 2019. The really bad things
about this is that they are either claiming that this new license
applies retroactively to all content uploaded to the site under the
CC0 license, or they are claiming that people will just have to
take a chance as to whether or not when they download is governed
by CC0 or the "Pixabay License" restrictions.

Either way, I think that they may have stepped in a legal pile of
something stinky. And I know that they have lessened the usefulness
of Pixabay to a lot of people.

Old January 30th 19, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:45:39 -0000, sobriquet wrote:

[...]

That's the fault of the evil Getty Images. They took Google to court for allowing people to view images on any website. Now a large proportion of the full resolution images are hidden - it used to be that clicking any image showed the full resolution. Most of them you can still right click and save, and you get the large image on your local hard disk, but some don't. Getty images are evil ****ing capitalist *******s, who believe that everyone should pay for their photos.