best pix when traveling alone?

Old October 23rd 04, 08:47 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default best pix when traveling alone?

I was just going through some of my photos taken over the past six years
(digital, of course!) and noticed an interesting pattern. Almost without
fail, my best photos have been taken when I was pretty much on my own. When
traveling with the family, the photos aren't nearly as well composed, nor do
I catch the truly interesting things in the environment around me.

But when I'm on my own, the camera seems to be an extension of what I find
interesting. The photos also show that I hold the camera steadier as well.

I suppose this is all dreadfully obvious, but I hadn't really been aware of
it until I went through photos of my past trips to France.

Do others have similar experiences? Or have people found a way to be one
with the family *and* the photo? It'll probably be difficult in my case,
since the family is often giving me a bad time for stopping to take a photo
here and there (and, ironically, use of the camera seems far more automatic
and thus faster when I'm on my own).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old October 23rd 04, 10:16 AM
Ryan Robbins

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
m...
I was just going through some of my photos taken over the past six years
(digital, of course!) and noticed an interesting pattern. Almost without
fail, my best photos have been taken when I was pretty much on my own. When
traveling with the family, the photos aren't nearly as well composed, nor
do I catch the truly interesting things in the environment around me.

When I'm with others, I find that either they get frustrated when I take
time to set up a shot, so I rush, or I fear that they are getting
frustrated, so I rush. And then there are times I get "suckered" into
photographing something that is interesting, but the lighting isn't good.
That is, my companion wants me to photograph something for them even tough I
know it's not going to look that good.

When I'm alone, I can take as much time as I want and go wherever I want
without having to worry about others want to do. That means I'm more relaxed
and can focus more on what I'm doing.

Old October 23rd 04, 01:13 PM
JohnR

Yep! When traveling with others, they don't want to be out in the golden
hours of light, nor do they want to wait on you or go where you want to go.

When I went to Maui in Feb, I had more of an opportunity to shoot what I
wanted and I got some great pix. Too bad the weather was just shy of
wrecking the whole trip.
John

Old October 23rd 04, 02:21 PM
Gene Palmiter

Perfectly natural...when you want to do a job well you want to do it without
distractions. I have a hard time getting good photos of my family...both
because I don't have the same sort of patience with them that I do with
paying clients and because they don't cooperate as well as paying
clients....maybe I should charge them!

Old October 23rd 04, 02:48 PM
GT40

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:47:59 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

[...]

When your alone, you are focused on photography, when your with
someone else, your are focused on them first.

Old October 23rd 04, 03:39 PM
Drifter

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:13:58 GMT, "JohnR" wrote:

Yep! When traveling with others, they don't want to be out in the golden
hours of light, nor do they want to wait on you or go where you want to go.

--snip----

When we go to the beach my wife and I finally worked out a system
where I'll get up at sunrise to take pictures, come back and go back
to sleep for a while she does her early morning shopping, then we meet
(usually about 11:00am) and have our day together. In the evening I
take about an hour of shooting time (if I want it) and then we have
dinner. Works for us most of the time grin.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."