Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - any good?

Old May 2nd 09, 09:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken[_5_]

Default Canon PowerShot SX10 IS - any good?

I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).

So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look of
this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices plus a
Canon cashback.

Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW button?
:-)

Thank you if you can help.

Ken

Old May 2nd 09, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Grant[_2_]

On Sat, 2 May 2009 09:37:37 +0100, "Ken" wrote:

I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).

So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look of
this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices plus a
Canon cashback.

Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW button?
:-)

It's crap, I tried two and both returned, the second was worse than the
first. Now I'm using a s/h Nikon D70s -- and having a lot more fun than
using a crappy high end toy camera.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au
Old May 2nd 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight[_3_]

"Grant" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 May 2009 09:37:37 +0100, "Ken" wrote:

I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).

So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look of
this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices plus
Canon cashback.

Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
button?
:-)

It's crap, I tried two and both returned, the second was worse than the
first. Now I'm using a s/h Nikon D70s -- and having a lot more fun than
using a crappy high end toy camera.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au

Ah. That was helpful. And I enjoyed the technical detail.

Ken, I would suggest that you'd be better off combing through the discussion
forum at dpreview.com. As with any camera, the SX10 has issues for some, is
an absolute joy for others. Read the posts, look at the photos provided, and
make your decision. Does this camera have the features you need/want, or are
there other options that would suit you better?

As with olympic events, always throw out the high and low votes and average
out the rest.

dwight

Old May 2nd 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken[_5_]

"dwight" wrote in message

"Grant" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Dwight

When I posted I was waiting or this from a DSLR user who all seem very
intent on preaching DSLR!!!

Thanks for your help

Ken

Old May 2nd 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_2_]

On 2009-05-02 06:38:49 -0700, "Ken" said:

"dwight" wrote in message

"Grant" wrote in message
[...]

So this was a TROLL?

Thanks for your help

Ken

Savageduck

Old May 2nd 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clair Johnston

Ken wrote:
I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).

So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look
of this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices
plus a Canon cashback.

Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
button? :-)

Thank you if you can help.

Ken

I went through the same decision last Christmas when I was looking for
an upgrade for my wife. I settled on the SX10IS, because has many of
the features of a DSLR without the size, weight, and cost.

For general use, it does a outstanding job. My wife's pictures are
comparable to those I take with my D300. Where it starts failing is
when needing to use higher ISO's. At 400 the Canon has comparable noise
to the Nikon at 1600 or above.
The 20x Zoom with image stabilization is fantastic when considering the
price of the camera. My concern is that the focusing range changes as
you zoom. The focusing range is displayed in the viewfinder (or LCD)
but I prefer a lens with a consistent focusing range. My 18-200 focuses
to about 18" over the entire zoom range.
The movable screen is great for taking closeups of flowers.
It has a hot shoe for mounting a external flash, I have used my wireless
radio controlled external flash with no problems.

Bottom line, we are both happy with the Canon SX10IS. I am not happy
that my wife yells at me when I borrow it for a shot that it will do
better than the D300. Did I mention that is cost about 1/8 the cost of
the Nikon D300?

Clair
Old May 2nd 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

On Sat, 02 May 2009 09:37:37 +0100, Ken wrote:

I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).

So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look of
this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices plus a
Canon cashback.

Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW button?
:-)

Thank you if you can help.

Ken

I have a Canon S5 and it is very good. The SX10 is a later version.
However, I would not make any decision until you look at the new Nikon
P90. On paper I think it is better so we need to wait for the reviews.
Old May 2nd 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken[_5_]

"Clair Johnston" wrote in message
.. .
Ken wrote:
[...]

Clair thanks for the informative I was beginning to have doubts but NOT
really as the movable LCD is something I had an old Olympus and miss. So
this feature alone is worth extra points.

Ken

Old May 2nd 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken[_5_]

"measekite" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 May 2009 09:37:37 +0100, Ken wrote:

I am close to gettinga bridge camera (and no not wanting a DSLR).

So whilst they all look similar, according to Dpreview, I like the look
of
this because of the movable LCD screen and the current drop in prices
plus a
Canon cashback.

Anyone who has one? Are you happy with it before I press the BUY NOW
button?
:-)

Thank you if you can help.

Ken

I have a Canon S5 and it is very good. The SX10 is a later version.
However, I would not make any decision until you look at the new Nikon
P90. On paper I think it is better so we need to wait for the reviews.

It is availbale but approx £100 more so would be well over the top of the
budget I am working within.

Ken

Old May 2nd 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clair Johnston

Clair thanks for the informative I was beginning to have doubts but NOT
really as the movable LCD is something I had an old Olympus and miss. So
this feature alone is worth extra points.

Ken

Ken,

If you decide to get the camera, let us know your thoughts after a
reasonable period of use. Remember to read the manual to make full use
of the camera.

Clair