OT external hard drives for photo work

Old July 13th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

Default OT external hard drives for photo work

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:33:35 GMT, Paul Furman
wrote:

How does one set up raid in winxp?
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb...-333/raid4.htm
'Reboot and when prompted press Ctrl-H to run the RAID BIOS Setting
Utility.'

If your system is already running Xp, just boot from the XP disk, and
use the "Repair" function; you'll see that CTRL H message.

Al Gore's son was pulled over by police on the
San Diego Freeway Tuesday with marijuana, Valium,
Xanax and Vicodin on him. The kid never had a
chance. He got hooked on downers at an early
age listening to his father read him bedtime
stories.
Old July 13th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Bill Funk wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:11:45 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:

Bill Funk wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:43:40 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
Bill Funk wrote:

RAID 1 is done for security, but offers no added speed at all, and is
available with most dual-drive enclosures.

Actually, RAID1 does offer increased reading speed, as two

The home user very seldom uses servers.

He uses servers all the time (NNTP server, Mail server, Web
server), but these servers usually won't run on *his* desktop.

Having access to a server does not make it under your control.
You know what I meant.

There is a large difference between what you meant and what you
wrote, and I wanted to make sure what I _thought_ you meant was
what _you_ did mean.

As I said before, *ANY* backup solution is better than a better one
not used.

RAID is *not* a backup solution in any way. RAID is a method
to survive some cases of a single disk hardware failure and to
build (virtual) disks that are larger than the physical units.
It will under no circumstances protect you against corrupted files,
deleted data or getting back older versions.

-Wolfgang

The point of a backup is to help prevent the loss of data.

True.

That's what RAIDs (except for RAID 0) do.

Wrong.

Do an rm -r / and show me how much data you can rescue from the
RAID. Or even better yet, have a lightning or a fire destroy
your computer and RAID and all connected hard disks. A backup
will only cost you restoring and maybe a day's loss (assuming a
daily backup regime).

The only thing RAID protects you is a hardware fault of a single
disk, nothing more. A backup is different. (And trust me, I
know the difference. Even I manage sometimes to shoot into my
own foot, and then I want a backup, not 2 HDs, both with the data
deleted on them.

The average user won't go fsr out of his way to protect his data;
offsite storage of backup drives, disks, tapes, etc., are not going to
be done. A RAID is an excellent way to prevent the most common form of
data loss: hard drive failure.

The most common cause is not HD failure, it is software
errors, viruses, trojans --- and most common, user error.
None of which a RAID protects against.

Yes, I have had HDs die under my fingers, but recovered all data.
I _have_ however, from time to time, lost data from stupidity,
and was glad my backups were there, limiting or negating the data
loss --- RAID would never have helped there.

And it's a heck of a lot easier to do, once implemented; it takes no
effort at all.

True.

ANY backup method is bettere than a better one not used.

True, but RAID is not a backup method, it's at best a small part of
a fault tolerant system (the RAID controler is still a single point
of failure, as is the connection between RAID controler and main
board --- and let's not even start on PSUs and UPSses and so on.)

-Wolfgang
Old July 14th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:35:51 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

The average user won't go fsr out of his way to protect his data;
offsite storage of backup drives, disks, tapes, etc., are not going to
be done. A RAID is an excellent way to prevent the most common form of
data loss: hard drive failure.

The most common cause is not HD failure, it is software
errors, viruses, trojans --- and most common, user error.
None of which a RAID protects against.

There can also be controller failure, which can cause both drives
to be trashed simultaneously. Duplexed controllers help prevent
that, but not too many non-business users use them. To be well
protected against software errors, viruses, trojans, etc., you can't
beat lots of tape backups, at least enough to be able to reconstruct
all system files on any chosen day within the previous 6 months or
so. Many of the tapes older than 6 months can be recycled. But
you're probably familiar with this.

Old July 14th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

wrote:

ANY backup method is bettere than a better one not used.

True, but RAID is not a backup method, it's at best a small part of
a fault tolerant system (the RAID controler is still a single point
of failure, as is the connection between RAID controler and main
board --- and let's not even start on PSUs and UPSses and so on.)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the use of RAIDs.

Old July 15th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

wrote:

ANY backup method is bettere than a better one not used.

True, but RAID is not a backup method, it's at best a small part of
a fault tolerant system (the RAID controler is still a single point
of failure, as is the connection between RAID controler and main
board --- and let's not even start on PSUs and UPSses and so on.)

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the use of RAIDs.

I hope your profession is not IT. Otherwise, you can believe whatever
you want about RAID. However, RAID is most definitely not a backup method.

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker:
http://www.ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html

Dethink to survive - Mclusky
Old July 16th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bill Funk wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:44:59 GMT, Paul Furman
wrote:

Sounds like firewire would help though I still don't know what the real
speed of USB or USB2 are.

Not a problem:
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

"Full Speed USB[1] is only 12Mbits/second where Hi-Speed USB[2] mode is
capable of a much faster 480Mbits/second."

"2. How do I know if my PC has USB 2.0?"
-still doesn't tell me which is which though it sounds like I've got 4
USB2 ports I don't know which is which:

Generic USB Hub
Generic USB Hub
Generic USB Hub
Intel 8280 1DB/DBM Enhanced Host Controller 24C2
Intel 8280 1DB/DBM Enhanced Host Controller 24C4
Intel 8280 1DB/DBM Enhanced Host Controller 24C7
**Intel 8280 1DB/DBM *USB2* Enhanced Host Controller 24CD
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

5-station hub
3-station docking station
3 stations on the laptop
**where's the one marked USB2?

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old July 16th 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Bill Funk wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

How does one set up raid in winxp?
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb...-333/raid4.htm
'Reboot and when prompted press Ctrl-H to run the RAID BIOS Setting
Utility.'

If your system is already running Xp, just boot from the XP disk, and
use the "Repair" function; you'll see that CTRL H message.

Can I set external, non-boot disks to raid? Can I remove one temporarily
& have it update when replaced?

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old July 16th 07, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

wrote:

[...]

Somewhere, you'll find a manual for your motherboard; you may have to
go online for it.
There, you'll find which is which.
There is another way: simply time the transfer of a relatively large
file on each port.

Old July 16th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:22:13 GMT, Paul Furman
wrote:

Bill Funk wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

How does one set up raid in winxp?
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb...-333/raid4.htm
'Reboot and when prompted press Ctrl-H to run the RAID BIOS Setting
Utility.'

If your system is already running Xp, just boot from the XP disk, and
use the "Repair" function; you'll see that CTRL H message.

Can I set external, non-boot disks to raid?

Not with any on-board RAID controller I've ever seen.
Can I remove one temporarily
& have it update when replaced?

Are you asking if you can remove a drive from a RAID array while it's
still functioning properly? If so, I don't know why you'd want to,
but...
Yes, if the RAID is actually a redundant system; IOW, not with a RAID
0 array, but with most others, yes; the RAID will assume the removed
drive is not operating, and will allow you to replace it, and it will
rebuild that disk. But it's not a practice that I would suggest. While
it SHOULD work, it may fail.
Personally, I would not write to an array that has a drive removed.

Old July 19th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

wrote:

Bill Funk wrote:

Paul Furman wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it ought to work. A shame it's uncertain, that would be nice.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://www.edgehill.net/1