Batteries for the Nikon SB800 Flash

Old October 16th 05, 06:58 AM
Randy W. Sims

Default Batteries for the Nikon SB800 Flash

I love my SB800 flash. It's made as much difference in my photos as...
well almost as much as the difference between a lower end camera and
dSLR. But I'm wondering about powering it. I've been using Energizer
Lithium, but I've been thinking about a battery pack like the Quantum
Turbo. Any advise or experience?

Thanks,
Randy.
Old October 16th 05, 08:05 PM
Robert Brace

"Randy W. Sims" wrote in message
I love my SB800 flash. It's made as much difference in my photos as... well
almost as much as the difference between a lower end camera and dSLR. But
I'm wondering about powering it. I've been using Energizer Lithium, but
I've been thinking about a battery pack like the Quantum Turbo. Any advise
or experience?

Thanks,
Randy.

I use 4 of 2300 NiMh in the flash and 6 of the same in an SD8A on occasion.
This combination will recycle in less than 2 secs at full manual power and,
according to Nikon will provide over 300 flashes.
In normal usage (i-TTL) it will track at 8 fps with all exposures fine for
at least 15 exposures (I haven't needed to go higher as yet).
Bob

Old October 17th 05, 03:38 AM
Jim

On 2005-10-16 01:58:03 -0400, "Randy W. Sims"
said:

I love my SB800 flash. It's made as much difference in my photos as...
well almost as much as the difference between a lower end camera and
dSLR. But I'm wondering about powering it. I've been using Energizer
Lithium, but I've been thinking about a battery pack like the Quantum
Turbo. Any advise or experience?

Thanks,
Randy.

Why do you ask:? Are you running into issues? Too short recycle?
Batteries exhausted during an important shoot? If so, then by all
means. If not, save yourself some bucks and stick with what you have.
Or become a hardware wh*** and buy it. Went to a wedding a couple of
weeks ago. The offical photog had an trunk full of Canon gear, but
each time she took a shot, she looked at the preview, went to the
trunck for more equipment ... and missed the next minute or two of the
cermony and action.

In otherwords, learn your equipment so you can use it instinctively.
If it is not performning and doing what you want it to, then seek
additional equipment to solve the problem. You didn't state an issue.
So, if your current batteries are performning, then keep them. One
should only buy or add equipment to solve a problem. Ortherwise, save
the bukcs.

--
Jim

Old February 3rd 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Robert Brace" pounded on the keyboard and wrote:

"Randy W. Sims" wrote in message
I love my SB800 flash. It's made as much difference in my photos as... well
almost as much as the difference between a lower end camera and dSLR. But
I'm wondering about powering it. I've been using Energizer Lithium, but
I've been thinking about a battery pack like the Quantum Turbo. Any advise
or experience?

Thanks,
Randy.

I use 4 of 2300 NiMh in the flash and 6 of the same in an SD8A on occasion.
This combination will recycle in less than 2 secs at full manual power and,
according to Nikon will provide over 300 flashes.
In normal usage (i-TTL) it will track at 8 fps with all exposures fine for
at least 15 exposures (I haven't needed to go higher as yet).
Bob

Bob,

I was doing some searching around and found your note from Oct 2005.

I am glad that I found your post cause I won't have to ask the question.

One quick question: With 4 2700mah NiMh and the SD8A I should be able to
hold down the shutter release during "you may kiss the bride" an not miss
anything???

Thanks and good shooting.

Brian

Although I have been into photography for a long time, I am just starting
into the professional world.
Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
Capt/Paramedic | Fire Station #5 | Hampton, VA.
B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
Old February 3rd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

[...]

Brian:
With the 2700 NiMh batteries in the SB800 and the SD8A (that's 10 in
total) depending on the frame rate of your camera, you should not miss a
thing.
My experience with multiple firing has been at distances of up to 10 ft.
and as I can recall f5.6 and 1/60 to 1/125 sec. (ISO200).
I'd try it first though, before betting the farm as YMMV.
Bob

Old February 4th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

[...]

Thanks Bob. Local camera store wants to sell me a Quantum (can't remember
the model) that sits under the camera. That won't work for me cause I use a
Stroboframe camera flip. I guess I will seriously look at the SD8A.

Cheers

Brian