Which Macro lense for all?

Old September 28th 03, 01:42 AM
Dan Fromm

Default Which Macro lense for all?

Scott Wuerch wrote in message ...
Sure is nice to see that Michael is a language expert. We need one of those here.

If you would take your obviously American size 11's out of your southern regions you would know that "lense" is the
common spelling for that item on the other side of the small pond. If you would have looked to the bottom of his
post you would have seen that he signed from Germany.

large snip

Come on, in english the word is lens. And that's true for UK dialects
as well as for american.

The german word is linse, singular, linsen, plural. Can't think of an
english word that forms the plural by just adding an 'n'. Yes, I
know, ox, oxen is close. But there's also ax (or axe), axes, not
axen.

That said, we should be delighted that the rest of the world is kind
enough to try to communicate with us in our language. Convenient to
be a native speaker of the current lingua franca, eh? Beats having to
learn 7, possibly 9 if Belgium is included, languages for a 7 nation
tour of europe.

And now to address the question. Thomas, I use manual focus Nikon
gear, have all three AIS MicroNikkors, use the 105/2.8 most, rarely
use the 200/4. Don't need the working distance that badly, and with
the 200 I'm often too far from the subject for easy use of flash.
This MAY change when I run out of KM and am forced to use a faster
color transparency film.

Cheers,

Dan
Old October 26th 03, 01:45 PM
nck

On 9/20/03 10:36 PM, in article
, "Michael Scarpitti"
wrote:

the word is spelled 'lens.'

Oh, get a grip

Old October 27th 03, 04:12 PM
Michael Scarpitti

nck wrote in message ...
On 9/20/03 10:36 PM, in article
, "Michael Scarpitti"
wrote:

the word is spelled 'lens.'

Oh, get a grip

That's pelled 'Griffe'.
Old October 27th 03, 05:58 PM

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

I think it is time to get rid of my Nikon Macro lense (60/f2.8),

the word is spelled 'lens.'

www.webster.com:

One entry found for lens.
Main Entry: lens
Variant(s): also lense /'lenz/
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin lent-, lens, from Latin, lentil; from its shape
Date: 1693
1 a : a piece of transparent material (as glass) that has two
opposite regular surfaces either both curved or one curved and the
:
:

*plonk*
Old October 27th 03, 10:26 PM
Paolo Pizzi

Dan Fromm wrote:

Come on, in english the word is lens. And that's true for UK
dialects as well as for american. The german word is linse,
singular, linsen, plural. Can't think of an english word that
forms the plural by just adding an 'n'.

Well, since you like nitpicking the guy for what was probably
a typo, let me remind you that the words "american", "german"
and "english" all need to be capitalized, if you really care about
writing in good English (including the *******ized version we
speak here in the US.) I believe that would be considered an
even greater error in FIRST grade...

That said, we should be delighted that the rest of the world is kind
enough to try to communicate with us in our language. Convenient to
be a native speaker of the current lingua franca, eh? Beats having to
learn 7, possibly 9 if Belgium is included, languages for a 7 nation
tour of europe.

9? Does it mean you have to learn French and Dutch TWICE?

Old October 27th 03, 11:01 PM
Liz

In message
"Paolo Pizzi" wrote:

That said, we should be delighted that the rest of the world is kind
enough to try to communicate with us in our language. Convenient to
be a native speaker of the current lingua franca, eh? Beats having to
learn 7, possibly 9 if Belgium is included, languages for a 7 nation
tour of europe.

9? Does it mean you have to learn French and Dutch TWICE?

I don't think Flemish is exactly the same as Dutch???

Anyway, come to the sunny UK, and as well as all the accents and dialects, many
non-intercomprehensible, (Lonely Planet's "British" Phrasebook is very
useful, despite there being no such language!) you can try Irish Gaelic
(pronounced Gaylick) Scottish Gaelic (pronounced Gahlick) and Welsh. I
believe Cornish isn't spoken any more.

Though Urdu is our most common language after English.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles
Old October 28th 03, 12:24 AM
Paolo Pizzi

Liz wrote:

9? Does it mean you have to learn French and Dutch TWICE?

I don't think Flemish is exactly the same as Dutch???

No, but it's VERY similar and if you know Dutch, you can
communicate very well in Flemish Belgium (actually most
people there speak a pretty decent English, so the entire
argument is basically moot...:-) )

Anyway, come to the sunny UK, and as well as all the accents and
dialects, many non-intercomprehensible, (Lonely Planet's "British"
Phrasebook is very useful, despite there being no such language!)
you can try Irish Gaelic (pronounced Gaylick) Scottish Gaelic
(pronounced Gahlick) and Welsh. I believe Cornish isn't spoken
any more.

I live in southern California, I don't think there is a place in
the world with more accents and languages spoken daily... ;-)
BTW, I like the UK (but...sunny? For how many days in a
year?), particularly Scotland, but I could never live the too
cold, too humid, too cloudy, too depressing, except maybe for
a month in a year... I think the most uncomprehensible British
accent is Cockney, although you can do a quick imitation by
just never pronuncing the letter H...:-) I remember when the
first Monthy Python movie came out, with... SUBTITLES!!

Old October 28th 03, 06:12 AM
Tony Parkinson

"Paolo Pizzi" wrote ...

I think the most uncomprehensible British
accent is Cockney, although you can do a quick imitation by
just never pronuncing the letter H...:-)

And the Dick Van Dyke award for the worst imitation of a Cockney accent goes
to . . . .

--
The next new technology from Microsoft . . . . . .
NNBTGNDHI: Not Necessary, But The Guy Next Door Has It

Old October 28th 03, 12:20 PM
Judit Fabian

Hey Guys (and Gals)!

Is this a photo group or a language group?
Why waste so much time and bandwidth on dissecting somebody for using an
unusual but not unaccepted spelling of a word?!

My penny's worth.

--
Judit Fabian
University of Vermont

"

Old October 28th 03, 03:47 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Judit Fabian"

Hey Guys (and Gals)!

Hey, like groovy, man (er, chick).

Is this a photo group or a language group?

"Double your pleasure, double your fun.
It's two groups, two groups, two groups in one!"

Why waste so much time and bandwidth on dissecting somebody

Shouldn't your post be in sci.med.autopsy?

for using an unusual but not unaccepted spelling of a word?!

It _is_ a photographic word, n'est pas? Where should
the discussion take place: rec.photo.etymology?

My penny's worth.

With inflation and stockholder pressure for obscene profit it's
now $10.79 + tax (7 cent deposit in ME, VT and MI).

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Judit Fabian
University of Vermont