Implementing warmup filters on Photoshop 7

Old December 22nd 04, 12:14 PM
Photo Clouds

Default Implementing warmup filters on Photoshop 7

Yes folks, I'm still running PS7!

I've tried imitating the likes of 81A and 81B warmup filters - I create
a Color Fill layer on top of the background - e.g. at present on one
image I use RGB values for this layer of 236,162,56 and get the warm up
filter effect using the normal blend mode, fill of 100% and opacity for
the Color Fill of 5-10%, which does for me at least provide acceptable
warm up of the image.

But does anyone know of more accurate ways to get the effect of warm up
filters (not using Color Balance - I spent ages messing around with that
and couldn't get what I wanted) - or have I taken the right approach?

Also can anyone point me to good websites that tell me how to implement
conventional warmup/cool down photo filters in Phootshop 7 (not CS - I
know this has them built in but I don't have CS)
Old December 22nd 04, 03:33 PM
Jim

"Photo Clouds" wrote in message
Yes folks, I'm still running PS7!

I've tried imitating the likes of 81A and 81B warmup filters - I create
a Color Fill layer on top of the background - e.g. at present on one
image I use RGB values for this layer of 236,162,56 and get the warm up
filter effect using the normal blend mode, fill of 100% and opacity for
the Color Fill of 5-10%, which does for me at least provide acceptable
warm up of the image.

But does anyone know of more accurate ways to get the effect of warm up
filters (not using Color Balance - I spent ages messing around with that
and couldn't get what I wanted) - or have I taken the right approach?

Also can anyone point me to good websites that tell me how to implement
conventional warmup/cool down photo filters in Phootshop 7 (not CS - I
know this has them built in but I don't have CS)

A standalone program is FilterSim (www.mediachance.com).
Jim

Old December 22nd 04, 04:29 PM
FP

Jim wrote:

A standalone program is FilterSim (www.mediachance.com).
Jim

But what about using techniques in Photoshop 7 without using plugins or
other standalone programs?
Old December 23rd 04, 05:41 PM
nick c

Photo Clouds wrote:
Yes folks, I'm still running PS7!

I've tried imitating the likes of 81A and 81B warmup filters - I create
a Color Fill layer on top of the background - e.g. at present on one
image I use RGB values for this layer of 236,162,56 and get the warm up
filter effect using the normal blend mode, fill of 100% and opacity for
the Color Fill of 5-10%, which does for me at least provide acceptable
warm up of the image.

I'm using PS8 (CS) now but when I was using PS7 I used a method similar
to what you're using. What I would do is:

Set the color scale to the desired warm color (initially requiring
experimentation).

For starters, I use R: 195, G: 178, B: 127

Make a new layer.

Set the Mode to OVERLAY.

Set the Opacity to about 20% or less. With the color settings noted
above, for example, when warming an arid scene I found setting the
Opacity to 19% to be satisfactory.

Use the Paint Bucket tool.

When satisfied, do a MERGE and Save.

My method wasn't accurate but with a little experimentation of color and
Opacity, I did rather well.

I sometimes would originally color match by comparing a warming filter
held over a white sheet of paper to the color wheel in the computer
trying to get as close a match as possible.

I found not all photos look well using constant settings.

To cool down a photo I used the same procedure but using blue filters
for color matching. Many times (more times than not) I would just
eyeball what I thought was a good cooling affect.

nick