Nikon 8000ED/9000ED MF film holder size

Old September 5th 04, 01:10 PM
Alex Tutubalin

Default Nikon 8000ED/9000ED MF film holder size

All my 6x7 films are cut into 3-frames strips
(+ one extra frame).

Is it possible to physically fit such strip into
an Nikon 8000/9000 film holder ?

I don't want to scan all 3 frames at one pass,
it is possible for me to revert each strip after
two frames scan.

--
Alex Tutubalin

Old September 5th 04, 01:29 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Alex Tutubalin" wrote in message

All my 6x7 films are cut into 3-frames strips
(+ one extra frame).

Is it possible to physically fit such strip into
an Nikon 8000/9000 film holder ?

The regular film holder would probably be a problem (There's a screw head
that sticks up above the film plane where the third frame would fall: even
if it didn't scratch the film, it would probably buckle it enough to make it
impossible to get the film anywhere near flat), but the (expensive) glass
holder looks like it would be fine.

I don't want to scan all 3 frames at one pass,
it is possible for me to revert each strip after
two frames scan.

Yup, you'd have to scan two and then flip the film around for the third.
You'd probably have to cut your own masks for the glass holder, but that's
no big deal.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 5th 04, 09:19 PM
Alex Tutubalin

David,

thank you for your reply.

that sticks up above the film plane where the third frame would fall: even
if it didn't scratch the film, it would probably buckle it enough to make it
impossible to get the film anywhere near flat), but the (expensive) glass
holder looks like it would be fine.

There is two glass holders for 9000ED, rotating and non-rotating.
I hope, you're talking about (less expensive) non-rotating...

Is there any problems with Newton rings and glass holders ?

--
Alex Tutubalin

Old September 5th 04, 09:19 PM
Alex Tutubalin

David,

thank you for your reply.

Old September 6th 04, 12:08 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Alex Tutubalin" wrote in message
David,

thank you for your reply.

that sticks up above the film plane where the third frame would fall:

even
if it didn't scratch the film, it would probably buckle it enough to

make it
impossible to get the film anywhere near flat), but the (expensive)

glass
holder looks like it would be fine.

There is two glass holders for 9000ED, rotating and non-rotating.
I hope, you're talking about (less expensive) non-rotating...

Yes.

Is there any problems with Newton rings and glass holders ?

Yes. While the upper glass is anti-newton, the lower glass is not, and will
make rings for many frames. You need to use a mask to hold the film off the
lower glass. Nikon supplies a set of masks, but they only handle one frame,
so you need to cut your own masks for your camera's frame spacing.

Like the Nikon 35mm scanners, the 8000's DOF is miniscule, and you need to
make sure the film hasn't buckled by measuring the focus at several points
across the frame and manually setting the focus to the middle of the range.

Scanning's a pain and an increadible sink of time.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan