Alternative to Canon S400 (IXUS)

Old September 21st 04, 10:52 AM
Emmanouil Pajatakis

Default Alternative to Canon S400 (IXUS)

I am one of the many victims whose Canon IXUS became unusable due to
the notorious E18 error. Canon managed to find a small dent on the
lens barell and refused to repair the camera under waranty. They are
shameless enough to demand a repair price approaching the price of a
new one.

As I a have to buy a new camera, I would be grateful for an opinion
about an alternative (other than Canon) from which it is not widely
known that the lens is likely to jam after a couple of months. Most
reviews mainly deal with image quality and leave reliability aside.

Thanks in advance

Emmanouil Pajatakis
Old September 21st 04, 02:03 PM
SamSez

"Emmanouil Pajatakis" wrote in message
om...
I am one of the many victims whose Canon IXUS became unusable due to
the notorious E18 error. Canon managed to find a small dent on the
lens barell and refused to repair the camera under waranty. They are
shameless enough to demand a repair price approaching the price of a
new one.

As I a have to buy a new camera, I would be grateful for an opinion
about an alternative (other than Canon) from which it is not widely
known that the lens is likely to jam after a couple of months. Most
reviews mainly deal with image quality and leave reliability aside.

Thanks in advance

Emmanouil Pajatakis

The sony dsc-t1 and the whole konica/minolta dimage 'x' series have zoom optics
that are totally contained within the camera. Not to say the internal movement
won't jam, but they would have a hard time blaming it on you if it does...

Old September 21st 04, 09:04 PM
Chuck

Canon managed to find a small dent on the
lens barell and refused to repair the camera under waranty. They are
shameless enough to demand a repair price approaching the price of a
new one.

is Nikon asking as much as Canon for reparing their camera ?

Anyone knows ?

tx

Old September 21st 04, 09:12 PM
GT40

I've never had a problem with Canon fixing things.

Old September 21st 04, 09:23 PM
Darrell Larose

Canon managed to find a small dent on the
lens barell and refused to repair the camera under waranty. They are
shameless enough to demand a repair price approaching the price of a
new one.

hmmm, you dropped your camera and somehow this is a manufacture's defect???

Old September 21st 04, 09:24 PM
Chuck

I know that , they even cleaned my Digital Rebel for free once, but if its
not under warranty, does Nikon charge as much as Canon ?