ISO 200?

Old March 13th 05, 05:50 PM
Smitty

Default ISO 200?

I need a little more speed for some action shots. Can anyone recommend a
200 speed slide film that I can scan at 4000dpi and print at 11x14 with
little grain. I've tried Fuji 400 and it is a little too grainy and my
lab charges too much to push provia etc.
Thanks
smitty
Old March 16th 05, 12:16 AM
Gordon Moat

Smitty wrote:

I need a little more speed for some action shots. Can anyone recommend a
200 speed slide film that I can scan at 4000dpi and print at 11x14 with
little grain. I've tried Fuji 400 and it is a little too grainy and my
lab charges too much to push provia etc.
Thanks
smitty

While a little of what you ask depends upon the scanning and printing
technology, there are some choices. Just shooting at a straight ISO 200,
Kodak E200 produces medium contrast and low grain. I have many images
printed 10" by 15" that I have exhibited, using E200 in 35 mm and 120 roll
sizes. Also, I have found that it scans easily, being one of the easiest to
scan films I have ever used, so I use E200 for most of my commercial work.

I have found that Kodak E200 pushes well without noticeable grain nor
contrast increase up to two stops. However, even stops require exposure
compensation, and E200 does not respond in a linear manner. Kodak have a
data sheet for E200 giving two and three stop guidelines, and I can provide
you with more information for further push.

I have recently tested many rolls of Kodak EliteChrome 200. It is not the
same as E200, though I am not exactly sure why. EliteChrome may be used at
the same push setting recommendations, but contrast is much higher as push
is increased. EliteChrome at ISO 200 is also more prone to colour casts
from fluorescent sources, and needs more colour compensation filtering in
night exposures than with E200. My guess is that EliteChrome is more
similar to the older Kodak ED (Ektachrome 200 Professional).

It is also possible to extend several ISO 100 films, though in general
closer to ISO 320 after some exposure compensation. One stop usually
produces no noticeable increase in grain nor in contrast, though as you
pointed out costs a bit more. The benefit over a true ISO 200 film like
E200 is that you can get increased contrast, or increased saturation,
depending upon choice of film.

Another alternative is AGFA RSX200. This is slightly more contrast than
Kodak E200, though grain is similar. Scanning is slightly tougher, and this
film biases red more than the Kodak E200. Push characteristics are okay for
a couple stops, making ISO 400 reachable.

I don't like the costs of push processing either, and prefer shooting
directly at film labelled ISO. However, when going beyond normal settings,
going for a particular contrast level, or just action shots under low
light, it is good to know that you can achieve more with a particular film.
I hope you find something that works, though Kodak E200 and AGFA RSX200 are
good points to explore.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old March 30th 05, 07:20 PM
stig

Smitty wrote:
I need a little more speed for some action shots. Can anyone recommend a
200 speed slide film that I can scan at 4000dpi and print at 11x14 with
little grain. I've tried Fuji 400 and it is a little too grainy and my
lab charges too much to push provia etc.
Thanks
smitty

You didnt tell what film you have tried, Fuji Sensia could possibly be a film
worth testing.