ThumbsPlus: How To Change Date In EXIF Data?

Old December 17th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Default ThumbsPlus: How To Change Date In EXIF Data?

Somewhere I recall Flickr saying it gleans "Date Taken" from the uploaded
photo's EXIF.

Tried a couple of things in TP like "Edit ITPC Data", and a couple of properties
under the photo itself, but none seem tb the one.

Anybody know how to edit EXIF's "Photo Taken" date in TP?
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 20th 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Somewhere I recall Flickr saying it gleans "Date Taken" from the uploaded
photo's EXIF.

Tried a couple of things in TP like "Edit ITPC Data", and a couple of properties
under the photo itself, but none seem tb the one.

Anybody know how to edit EXIF's "Photo Taken" date in TP?

Afraid I don't know the answer, but I'm curious as to why you would
ever want to do that? I try to keep photos in that sequence, so I add
Date/Time taken as a suffix to the filename (or even use that as the
entire filename). So I'm exasperated that some image editing programs
casually destroy all EXIF data, including that key field!

Ah, it's just occurred to me that maybe you want to offset the time by
an hour or two? If I forget to change my camera setting when on
holiday in a different time zone, then I use my file renaming program,
Bulk Rename Utility, to change the names automatically. Not the actual
EXIF data though.

I opened a few JPGs in my text editor, TextPad, and found the date
taken appeared 3 times, at lines 2, 27 and 28. Presumably, as a last
resort, you could open them in a hex editor and change the date/times
that way.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old December 20th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Terry Pinnell:
Afraid I don't know the answer, but I'm curious as to why you would
ever want to do that?

I want Flickr to show the actual date the photo was taken. Since they're scans
of 35mm slides taken many moons ago, the EXIF timestamp isn't even close.
--
PeteCresswell
Old December 20th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Per Terry Pinnell:
Afraid I don't know the answer, but I'm curious as to why you would
ever want to do that?

I want Flickr to show the actual date the photo was taken. Since they're scans
of 35mm slides taken many moons ago, the EXIF timestamp isn't even close.

OK, understood.

I don't think TP can do it, but Exifer can.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old December 21st 06, 07:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum

Terry Pinnell wrote:

: I don't think TP can do it, but Exifer can.

Since you seem to be better familiar with exifer than I am, I'll piggyback
a question of my own in here. Is there a way to edit the lens focal length
number in exif? When I use a multiplier add-on lens on my regular lens it
changes the focal length but does not change the exif data. But I would
like the exif to reflect the actual focal length. So if I could edit the
exif data for the few images I took with these add-ons it would be nice.
Unfortunately I am yet to find any way to change this particular number
with exifer.

Any suggestions?

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old December 21st 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

You can make that change in the Flickr Organize page.

--
Joan

: Per Terry Pinnell:
:
: I want Flickr to show the actual date the photo was taken. Since
they're scans
: of 35mm slides taken many moons ago, the EXIF timestamp isn't even
close.
: --
: PeteCresswell

Old December 21st 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Randy Berbaum wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

: I don't think TP can do it, but Exifer can.

Since you seem to be better familiar with exifer than I am, I'll piggyback
a question of my own in here. Is there a way to edit the lens focal length
number in exif? When I use a multiplier add-on lens on my regular lens it
changes the focal length but does not change the exif data. But I would
like the exif to reflect the actual focal length. So if I could edit the
exif data for the few images I took with these add-ons it would be nice.
Unfortunately I am yet to find any way to change this particular number
with exifer.

Any suggestions?

Sorry, Randy, doesn't look like I can help. I'm no Exifer expert
(rarely use it), but checked just now and - as I'm sure you've already
established - it seems that although you can *view* focal length (and
umpteen other things), you can't *edit* it, unlike Date taken.

You might want to explore the 'hacking' approach I suggested earlier.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old December 22nd 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
(PeteCresswell)

Per Joan:
You can make that change in the Flickr Organize page.

"Edit Dates"

Bingo!!!!

Thanks.
--